Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Different Debate Settings

Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 1:50:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I propose we should be able to set debates to these settings

6 hours
4 days
5 days
1 week
10,000 Characters (for really long debates and accomodating charles)
Kfc.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 2:03:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1 week debates would cause issues, since if you can't make an argument in 3 days, you probably don't have a worthwhile argument to begin with.

Though I think allowing extensions (if both members agree would be okay), like "my grandma passed away and I'll need a few extra days to get my argument up as it has been placed lower on my priority list." and the other members can accept the extension.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 2:04:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/13/2011 2:03:06 PM, OreEle wrote:
1 week debates would cause issues, since if you can't make an argument in 3 days, you probably don't have a worthwhile argument to begin with.

Though I think allowing extensions (if both members agree would be okay), like "my grandma passed away and I'll need a few extra days to get my argument up as it has been placed lower on my priority list." and the other members can accept the extension.

This.
Kfc.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 2:35:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/13/2011 1:50:38 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
I propose we should be able to set debates to these settings

6 hours
4 days
5 days
1 week
10,000 Characters (for really long debates and accomodating charles)

I like the 10,000 character idea. It seems like some people, when the debate allows, use the tactic of bombarding with many points that you have to defend. It takes more space to defend or explain something, than it does to make a claim. So yeah, I think more characters is a great idea.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 2:37:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Or, a seperate character count for arguments and refutations.

I would like the 1 week if allowed for video debates (which I'm going to try to do sometime).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2011 10:00:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/13/2011 2:35:40 PM, medic0506 wrote:

I like the 10,000 character idea. It seems like some people, when the debate allows, use the tactic of bombarding with many points that you have to defend. It takes more space to defend or explain something, than it does to make a claim. So yeah, I think more characters is a great idea.

If it is only a claim it can be dismissed as readily as it was made. Argument spamming does not work, it is like trying to stop a Tank by shooting a lot of BB's at it. The tank only stops when it concerns itself with the BB's .
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 12:10:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nobody would judge a 12,000 character 10 round debate.

I do however there should be additional time settings, like 36 hours for example.

Would it be that difficult to be able to customize the time limit?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 12:11:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/15/2011 12:10:25 AM, quarterexchange wrote:
Nobody would judge a 12,000 character 10 round debate.

I do however there should be additional time settings, like 36 hours for example.

Would it be that difficult to be able to customize the time limit?

this
Kfc.
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:51:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You can't do policy debate on here because 8,000 characters isn't enough. I think 16,000 or so would be more accurate.
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:13:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/15/2011 8:51:09 AM, Johnicle wrote:
You can't do policy debate on here because 8,000 characters isn't enough. I think 16,000 or so would be more accurate.

The only supporters there are you, kenyon and Bluesteel.
Kfc.