Jump to topic:

Sparking up video debates

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 10:36:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know if this will take off or not, since it has been tried several times and never really caught on. But I'm going to try to do several video debates, as well as using video in normal debates.

I think I'm going to start small with something like the CFL light bulb debate.

For those that have done video debates in the past, what are some issues that you ran into?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 11:17:36 AM
At 6/16/2011 10:36:57 AM, OreEle wrote:
I don't know if this will take off or not, since it has been tried several times and never really caught on. But I'm going to try to do several video debates, as well as using video in normal debates.

For those that have done video debates in the past, what are some issues that you ran into?

She's gonna be doing a video debate?
Kfc.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 11:50:48 AM
At 6/16/2011 11:17:36 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

She's gonna be doing a video debate?

I really don't believe it. I hope he won't renege on us.
kfc
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 11:52:31 AM

Getting votes. You'll probably want to keep all vids at a max of 5 minutes.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:06:55 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:04:08 PM, Koopin wrote:
I always feel that DDO members are not really real people until I see them on video.

Yea, sometimes I forget that your not really a chicken.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:07:43 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:06:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I always feel that DDO members are not really real people until I see them on video.

Yea, sometimes I forget that your not really a chicken.

ha ha.

When I think of you I just think of that kermit frog.
kfc
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 2:18:05 PM
At 6/16/2011 11:52:31 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Getting votes. You'll probably want to keep all vids at a max of 5 minutes.

Agreed. The video debate I did with TUF got only 2 votes. I think it was because each of my videos lasted 10 - 12 mins.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:29:56 PM
I'm hoping that my original debate will have videos of about 3 - 4 minutes.

I'm thinking of altering the voting criteria for it though.

1) added to conduct - doing your speech from memory, as opposed to using note cards, or reading from a paper.

2) added to spelling and grammar - pronunciation and articulation (e.g. studdering, monotone, or talking too fast to follow will cost here).

3) the only non-video things allowed in the debate are sources. No typed arguments at all (this, I suppose, would be conduct).
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:50:35 PM
At 6/16/2011 3:29:56 PM, OreEle wrote:

1) added to conduct - doing your speech from memory, as opposed to using note cards, or reading from a paper.

2) added to spelling and grammar - pronunciation and articulation (e.g. studdering, monotone, or talking too fast to follow will cost here).

3) the only non-video things allowed in the debate are sources. No typed arguments at all (this, I suppose, would be conduct).

Wanna do a short 2 round (one round for accepting one for posting video) debate? It won't be anything serious, We will ask voters not to vote (if someone votes we'll ask for someone else to counter it.) I'm pro for giving me 98% of the worlds finances.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:59:26 PM
At 6/16/2011 3:50:35 PM, Koopin wrote:

Wanna do a short 2 round (one round for accepting one for posting video) debate? It won't be anything serious, We will ask voters not to vote (if someone votes we'll ask for someone else to counter it.) I'm pro for giving me 98% of the worlds finances.

Sure, but let me start it. It won't be out until the friday night though. And even then, there may be a reason that it comes out late (as seeing as there is something that I'm on call for which is priority over DDO ;P).
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 4:04:06 PM
At 6/16/2011 3:59:26 PM, OreEle wrote:

Sure, but let me start it. It won't be out until the friday night though. And even then, there may be a reason that it comes out late (as seeing as there is something that I'm on call for which is priority over DDO ;P).

lol, ok.
kfc
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 4:47:47 PM
BagBang-Coconut is doing a video debate right now. Personally I think it is a good idea.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 5:36:38 PM
I'd do a video debate, why not, eh?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 8:21:42 PM
At 6/16/2011 2:18:05 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Agreed. The video debate I did with TUF got only 2 votes. I think it was because each of my videos lasted 10 - 12 mins.

Yes, just try watching the whole thing, then rewatching it to confirm impressions a day later. Now imagine if all debates were like that to vote. It would help a lot if there was a transcript.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 9:01:48 PM

Siged lol
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 12:17:37 AM

1 - that's almost impossible for voters to check (did the user put a piece of paper behind the camera?) Besides, the vast majority of great speakers do use paper - not read off it, obviously, but use it.

2 - this is completely subjective. Needless to say US voters and British voters will get into vote-bomb wars over this one. Debating is about the argument, public speaking is about the delivery. This criterion sends the wrong message.

3 - citation of sources during a video is difficult (how many speakers go around saying "Ill later write a source for this by cite note seven"). Most real debates don't have sources, and dealing with competing claims in a debate without sources is part of the skill of debating.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 11:16:41 AM
Video debates have potential, but the risk is that people just ramble on forever.

Going without notes is really bad idea. Even Obama can't do that. Reagan used cards. Lack of notes encourages rambling. A five minute limit is a good idea. Much more than that and there won't be votes. References should be linked in text.

There should be style guidelines: organization, clarity, etc replace S&G. Speaking too fast is a problem.

Video can include graphics and video clips, so maybe there is potential there for certain topics. Video is a lot of work in any case.