Jump to topic:

How low am I?

CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 4:39:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sieben leveled the charge against me that I am "dishonest" and have "no standards."

If this is true I would like to know from the rest of DDO. Thank you.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 4:48:47 PM
At 6/17/2011 4:43:42 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
Did he say why?

1) Its not an appeal to the populous. Im just curious to see if others think the same thing.

AND

2) His reasoning was vauge: he cited a one liner argument I made which I dropped, saying "maximization" of argumentation was dishonest. And then he said I do appeals to authority, which Ive already disputed. But even if I didnt it doesnt uphold his premise that im dishonest or have no standards.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 4:49:55 PM
You're a decent old bean. I dislike the way you debate, but you are courteous and rarely say anything excessively stupid.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 4:50:09 PM
At 6/17/2011 4:39:15 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Sieben leveled the charge against me that I am "dishonest" and have "no standards."

Why care...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 4:51:43 PM
If the whole "dishonest" thing is just levelled towards debates, then yes, I agree. To do policy debates you need to be dishonest to certain extent.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:04:39 PM
At 6/17/2011 4:48:47 PM, CiRrK wrote:

2) His reasoning was vauge: he cited a one liner argument I made which I dropped, saying "maximization" of argumentation was dishonest. And then he said I do appeals to authority, which Ive already disputed. But even if I didnt it doesnt uphold his premise that im dishonest or have no standards.

Then no you are not dishonest.

It sounds like he simply disagrees with your stances and is trying to drag your character through the mud because I'd be willing to bet that there are many libertarians and liberals on this site who disagree with you who wouldn't say that about you.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:07:53 PM
At 6/17/2011 5:04:39 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

It sounds like he simply disagrees with your stances and is trying to drag your character through the mud because I'd be willing to bet that there are many libertarians and liberals on this site who disagree with you who wouldn't say that about you.

"No warrant as to why something being contradictory is false. This is a western mindset that s no warranted basis. Many Eastern Religions, such as Daoism ind the greatest truth in contradictions. Moreover, proving a simple logical flow does not mean it is correct practice."

http://www.debate.org...
Things that are so interesting:

Contradiction
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:09:34 PM
At 6/17/2011 5:04:39 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

I second that.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:19:28 PM
"Mancur Olson tells us that democracies are much more likely to have free trade agreements and policies especially with the help of the US. This is true because democracies have a vested interest in exporting and importing goods more freely as a way to increase the flow of capital within society. [3] And free trade is good. James tells us that free trade is advantageous for the Us specifically and for people abroad because it reduces the risk of great recessions, spurs innovation, expands capital flow, creates lower prices, increasing the variety of goods and increases productivity. Thus, free trade is good for the people of Libya. Olson goes on to further point out that democracies have the most stable of economies throughout the world including the Middle East – Israel and Turkey. [3]"

CiRrk is such a good debater that he derives all the benefits of free market capitalism in a single paragraph. Oh wait, he's running his case off an external website thus defeating the purpose of character limits. If he had linked to his own website, you would all recognize this. But because an authority figure says it you turn a blind eye. K.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:20:19 PM
What happened to you sieben? When I first talked to you I thought "wow, what a cool guy". I haven't read where you and Cirk got into it but I have seen a big change.

I read some comments on a certain debate and I thought "who the hell is this guy?" "that doesn't look like the same guy I talked to"

Something going on?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:25:20 PM
At 6/17/2011 5:20:19 PM, jharry wrote:
What happened to you sieben? When I first talked to you I thought "wow, what a cool guy". I haven't read where you and Cirk got into it but I have seen a big change.

I read some comments on a certain debate and I thought "who the hell is this guy?" "that doesn't look like the same guy I talked to"

Something going on?

Tired of pretending like people's sh­it doesn't smell.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:45:44 PM
At 6/17/2011 5:25:20 PM, Sieben wrote:

Something going on?

Oh.............like Sam Lowry?

I was just curious, thought you might be having a tough time in RL or something.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 5:52:00 PM
At 6/17/2011 5:45:44 PM, jharry wrote:
At 6/17/2011 5:25:20 PM, Sieben wrote:

Something going on?

Oh.............like Sam Lowry?
Don't remember.
I was just curious, thought you might be having a tough time in RL or something.

Real life is fine.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 6:23:12 PM
I'm not sure being contradictory necessarily means my argument is wrong.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:22:01 PM
At 6/17/2011 4:51:43 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
If the whole "dishonest" thing is just levelled towards debates, then yes, I agree. To do policy debates you need to be dishonest to certain extent.

It is a debate, not an academic defense. If you hold that position that you just advocated and you do not concede in a debate that you end up losing then you were either dishonest or arrogant and ignorant. Plus how would you judge devils advocate debates, surely you don't see them as being dishonest.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:29:24 PM
At 6/17/2011 4:39:15 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Yes, I think that is obvious.

I was just thinking to myself this morning that besides Hitler and Jack the Ripper you are next in line for people who should be introduced to Scaphism but with HFCS instead of honey and liberal use of fire ants.

But then that seemed too kind as there would be some pleasure in the HFCS so I was thinking of traditional drawn and quartering as while that is simple it is also elegant in its brutality.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 10:16:15 PM
you lied about wanting to help me and being on the social committee as an attempt to infiltrate the party on behalf of innomen. You then also falsely volunteered to be a "double agent". Of course I knew what you were doing but played along with it.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos