Jump to topic:

Quality or Quantity?

Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:19:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Which do you guys think is better in terms of debate?

I've been doing so many joke debates that I can't really do any serious ones.

Which is better to you?
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:32:15 AM
quality always. If you're doing joke debates they also must be quality (eggleston standard)
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:34:02 AM
At 6/18/2011 10:32:15 AM, askbob wrote:
quality always. If you're doing joke debates they also must be quality (eggleston standard)

Well most of my debates are just joke debates but I am trying to come up with something better.

Also, the AIDS debate kicked eggleston's asss.
Kfc.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:35:19 AM
At 6/18/2011 10:34:02 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

Well most of my debates are just joke debates but I am trying to come up with something better.

yeah i seriously doubt it. I've only beat eggleston once and that was pure luck.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:36:53 AM
At 6/18/2011 10:35:19 AM, askbob wrote:
At 6/18/2011 10:34:02 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

yeah i seriously doubt it. I've only beat eggleston once and that was pure luck.

As soon as I'm done with my current debates, I'm probably gonna start doing some serious stuff (and lose.)
Kfc.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 1:16:40 PM
Troll debate, game debates and joke debates are different to me. Here are my definitions:

Joke debate: Purposefully funny debates with a joke topic.
Game debate: Debate games like UTW and joke exchanges.
Troll debates: Stupid and spam debates.
Kfc.
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 2:10:04 PM
Responding to the OP, lately I've been trying to step up the quality of my debates and put it over quantity. Though that doesn't mean I won't do debates on grinding at high school functions.
My manwich!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 2:21:24 PM
Quality always.

I also hate being asked to vote on a frivolous debate. I rarely read the frivolous debates. I don't consider the joke debates frivolous when they're done well, and i admit to not having the talent for doing a joke debate well, so i don't.

The quality debates take a lot more time and effort, and they should.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 6:41:43 PM
I don't care too much for joke debates, although I'm impressed with Brian's ability to come up with good ones, and I have succumbed to the lure on occasion. I don't have an objection to the site having lots of joke debates. The alternative is fun police.

More is learned from serious debates, because they require some research and more thought. My suggestion for people who want to move from joke debates to serious debates is to pick a narrow well-defined topic. Those are easier to research than broad subjects having many implications. "E-readers should be used instead of printed texts in secondary schools" is easier to research and argue than "Media bias is likely to determine the outcome of the next Presidential election."
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 7:02:45 PM
One of the first debate I read on DDO was a amazing joke debate. They really had no issue - but debated as if they are discussing some very important topic. The conduct was also excellent.

http://www.debate.org...
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:24:53 PM
Quality, but joke debates can be quality debates too. I think the site should promote joke debates, since it can help making people like each other and share some humor rather than create disputes between them.

One of the funniest debates is this: http://www.debate.org...