Semantics

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 9:56:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Meaning.

Now, if someone is making a semantical debate, it means they are exploiting the fact that a word or statement can have multiple meanings, or are understood by people in different ways. The person making the semantical debate is not actually discussing the meaning behind what the other person is saying.

Getting lost in semantics is the same thing, except it may or may not be intentional.

Semantics are very important. While some people seem to think that engaging in a semantical debate shows cleverness and is a sign of a good debater. It might, but I personally think it makes you look retarded.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 9:57:12 AM
^
Just like the grammar in that post up there makes me look retarded.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 9:58:15 AM
At 6/19/2011 9:56:11 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Meaning.

Now, if someone is making a semantical debate, it means they are exploiting the fact that a word or statement can have multiple meanings, or are understood by people in different ways. The person making the semantical debate is not actually discussing the meaning behind what the other person is saying.

Getting lost in semantics is the same thing, except it may or may not be intentional.

Semantics are very important. While some people seem to think that engaging in a semantical debate shows cleverness and is a sign of a good debater. It might, but I personally think it makes you look retarded.

Ok, thanks. :)
Kfc.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 11:30:53 AM
At 6/19/2011 9:31:58 AM, Brainmaster wrote:
This is a term I see alot on DDO. What does it mean?

Here's an example: http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 11:32:11 AM
At 6/19/2011 11:30:53 AM, Korashk wrote:

Here's an example: http://www.debate.org...

That... is true trolling.
Kfc.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 11:36:21 AM
At 6/19/2011 11:32:11 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

Note there is no need to accept a semantic twist, you can roll right over it and deny it and stick to the resolution as intended. In this case the instigator didn't even read the opposing case and deserved the loss.

However if you make an absurd argument like "a sumo wrestler would defeat a premature born baby in a fight" then you are asking for a semantic argument obviously.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 11:37:01 AM
At 6/19/2011 11:36:21 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/19/2011 11:32:11 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

Note there is no need to accept a semantic twist, you can roll right over it and deny it and stick to the resolution as intended. In this case the instigator didn't even read the opposing case and deserved the loss.

However if you make an absurd argument like "a sumo wrestler would defeat a premature born baby in a fight" then you are asking for a semantic argument obviously.

Like a baby demigod or something.
Kfc.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 4:41:54 PM

Around when I first joined this site I saw a debate which had the resolution something like "spam is harmful". (Something to do with spam anyway)

His opponent posted the definition of spam as a kind of fish.

After seeing that debate I learned to be careful when starting debates.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 4:52:43 PM
Here it is, took me a while to find it.

http://www.debate.org...

Resolution "this debate is spam". I think I got it mixed up with another debate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)