Jump to topic:

Merda's moral philosophy tourney

Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 5:57:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been playing with the idea of creating a themed tournament where all the resolutions are tailored around ethics and morality. I know that some do not think it is a good idea to start tourneys while others are ongoing, but since this is a relatively small tourney(8 people) and Freeman's is pretty much dead and Tv's is a rap battle contest, I think beginning sign-ups now would be appropriate.

The resolutions would be divided into three categories: Mataethics(where the debate centers around the basic concepts of morality such as whether it even exists or whether moral propositions are truth-apt), normative ethics(the debate would center around the superiority of one normative system over another such as Kantianism over contractarianism and a meta-ethical stance would be agreed upon in the beginning), and applied ethics(these debates would center around whether or not a specified normative theory supports something like stealing to feed the poor or abortion. The meta-ethical and normative theory would be agreed upon by both debaters.)

This is going to be a small tourney with only eight people. A qualification for entering this tourney is at least a rudimentary knowledge of all three categories of ethics. Other than that I don't care who signs up. Though I do hope to get some philosophical heavy weights in this tourney if I can.

1. Merda

For other specifications, just ask.
My manwich!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 6:08:38 PM
Sure, why not.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 6:24:13 PM
A correction needs to be made. The tournament will be single elimination and not double. This is not intended to be a long and drawn out tournament but a relatively quick exchange of ethical concepts.
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 6:56:23 PM
1. Merda
2. Contradiction
3. CosmicAlfonzo
4. Grape
8. Spot 8 is reserved for CiRrK for now. If we get all the spots except for his filled up, I'll need an answer though.
My manwich!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:20:09 PM
I'm not sure if I would be considered a "philosophical heavy weight", but I do have a sufficient amount of knowledge in regards to ethics and morality. And I would love to participate, if I can.

When will this start?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:26:46 PM
1. Merda
2. Contradiction
3. CosmicAlfonzo
4. Grape
5. annhasle
8. Spot 8 is reserved for CiRrK for now. If we get all the spots except for his filled up, I'll need an answer though.

You seem to be considerably more knowledgeable than most. Only two(maybe three) more spots to fill.
My manwich!
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:29:27 PM
This tournament seems interesting and I'll be following it, although I don't have time to participate. One idea is to just have it as a debate between moral philosophies instead of dividing it up between meta, normative, or applied because they seem intertwined to some extent. I don't know how I would argue normative ethics with a divine command theorist if I can't touch on his core beliefs.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:31:57 PM
I dunno. The meta-ethics part might be fun so long as I didn't hit another nihilist, but the normative and applied ethics would probably get better. Your meta-ethics tells you directly what kind of normative theory you're going to need, and the applied ethics just ends up being "X says Y" vs "no it doesn't, it says ~Y".
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:32:29 PM
At 6/19/2011 7:31:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I dunno. The meta-ethics part might be fun so long as I didn't hit another nihilist, but the normative and applied ethics would probably get boring. Your meta-ethics tells you directly what kind of normative theory you're going to need, and the applied ethics just ends up being "X says Y" vs "no it doesn't, it says ~Y".
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:49:52 PM
At 6/19/2011 7:31:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I dunno. The meta-ethics part might be fun so long as I didn't hit another nihilist, but the normative and applied ethics would probably get better. Your meta-ethics tells you directly what kind of normative theory you're going to need, and the applied ethics just ends up being "X says Y" vs "no it doesn't, it says ~Y".

I agree with the part about applied ethics. Though if I do one it would have to be more specific than "Utilitarianism supports the pro-choice position". I'll probably be doing meta-ethics debates unless my opponent insists on something else.
My manwich!
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 8:00:10 PM
At 6/19/2011 7:26:46 PM, Merda wrote:
1. Merda
2. Contradiction
3. CosmicAlfonzo
4. Grape
5. annhasle
7.Headphone

You seem to be considerably more knowledgeable than most. Only two(maybe three) more spots to fill.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 8:02:03 PM
1. Merda
2. Contradiction
3. CosmicAlfonzo
4. Grape
5. annhasle
7. headphonegut

One spot left. CiRrK, sign-ups seemed to have gone by faster than expected, I'll probably need an answer by tomorrow.
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 8:54:26 PM
Need one more person. I'm coming up with the rankings now and even though I still have an open spot to fill, the current rankings for those who have signed up are:

1. Grape
2. Contradiction
3. CiRrK
4. Merda
5. annhasle
6. headphonegut
7. CosmicAlfonzo
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 12:23:21 PM
1. Merda
2. Contradiction
3. CosmicAlfonzo
4. Grape
5. annhasle
6. Bang-Bang Coconut
7. headphonegut
8. TheSkeptic*

I sent TheSkeptic a private invitation and he accepted. In a day or so I will release the bracket schedule and rankings.
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:19:19 PM
The first round match-ups are as follows.

TheSkeptic is debating CosmicAlfonzo.

Grape is debating headphonegut.

Contradiction is debating Bang-Bang Coconut.

Merda is debating annhasle.

I will be sending out PM's shortly.
My manwich!
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:25:27 PM
At 6/20/2011 4:19:19 PM, Merda wrote:

Is this just a question of "which philosophy is best?"
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 4:30:03 PM
At 6/20/2011 4:25:27 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/20/2011 4:19:19 PM, Merda wrote:

Is this just a question of "which philosophy is best?"

Read the OP. It is categorized into three fields. Meta, normative, and applied ethics. Debaters can pick from any of those fields. An example of a mete-ethical debate would be the resolution, "Objective moral facts probably do not exist". A normative would be, "Contractarianism is a superior ethical system than Kantianism". Applied would be, "Abortion is prima facie morally wrong".
My manwich!
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 10:48:23 AM
At 6/19/2011 7:29:27 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
This tournament seems interesting and I'll be following it, although I don't have time to participate. One idea is to just have it as a debate between moral philosophies instead of dividing it up between meta, normative, or applied because they seem intertwined to some extent. I don't know how I would argue normative ethics with a divine command theorist if I can't touch on his core beliefs.

I mentioned that if the debate is on applied ethics, a normative and meta-ethical claim would be agreed upon at the beginning. I do agree it would not be fun for a nihilist and a divine command theorist to debate only on the moral permissibility of abortion.
My manwich!