Jump to topic:

Single Person Parli Debate Tournament

lddebater540
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 10:41:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Resolution types: all open (meaning that the proposition/affirmative can interpret the topic, but you have to prove a link to that interpretation. Negatives/opposition can win the case by disproving the link and thus showing that the case is nontopical.)

No evidence (researched stats/quotes) is allowed, but examples are permitted to provide a warrant.

Please post if you wish to join. 7 spots are left.

1. Perseus Atlas (lddebater540)
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 10:43:03 AM
At 6/21/2011 10:41:52 AM, lddebater540 wrote:
Resolution types: all open (meaning that the proposition/affirmative can interpret the topic, but you have to prove a link to that interpretation. Negatives/opposition can win the case by disproving the link and thus showing that the case is nontopical.)

No evidence (researched stats/quotes) is allowed, but examples are permitted to provide a warrant.

joined 2 hours ago. srsly?
Kfc.
lddebater540
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 11:06:23 AM
At 6/21/2011 10:43:03 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

Is there a problem with that? Why am I not allowed to debate?
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 11:08:17 AM
At 6/21/2011 11:06:23 AM, lddebater540 wrote:
At 6/21/2011 10:43:03 AM, Brainmaster wrote:

2. Brainmaster

Is there a problem with that? Why am I not allowed to debate?

I'll signup. It just seems odd that someone so new would organize a tourney.
Kfc.
Hubris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 11:13:46 AM
If you could just give me some example topic and perhaps a bit of a refresher on Parliamentary Debate and how we will go about it, you can count me in.
lddebater540
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 12:17:35 PM
Parliamentary debate has two sides: the proposition and the opposition. The proposition team must prove a resolution/motion true, and the opposition team must prove the proposition team false. Usually, competitors receive 15 minutes to prepare a case for a topic that is given just before the round starts.

Motions can be open, meaning that the proposition team is permitted to interpret them in any manner that they choose as long as their interpretation is logically consistent with the resolution. (The opposition team is allowed to contest the link to the resolution, and if they win, they win the round.) For example, if the resolution were "This House should change its locks", then the proposition team could argue that this metaphorically means that we should increase security, and could thus contend that any actor they choose (the U.S., a bank, an NGO, etc.) should increase its security. For example, I could interpret this resolution as "The Defense Department should reclassify its 'Secret' files as 'Top Secret' in order to prevent unauthorized access."

A motion can also be closed, meaning that the debaters must argue what the topic literally asks them to argue about. An example of a closed motion would be "Resolved: That the Congress of the USA would enact a compulsory fair employment practices law."

Each team receives two "constructive" slots and one "rebuttal" slots. New case arguments may not be made in the "rebuttal" slot.

For the purposes of this tournament, I would like each individual to act as a team.

If you would like another example, please see the debate I am currently engaged in (This House would reject consensus.)