Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Why the three debate/vote rule is broken

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:55:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:52:43 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Example :

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

| :/
It was a good idea. Perhaps "You must win 3 debates or participate in 10".
I dunno, I've got nothing.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:55:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's not broken and is a positive measure because it allows us to identifiy those individuals sooner.

What we really need is character minimums. The problem will always exist but it will just be another step in the right direction

also an active mod with deletion powers would fix the problem immediately
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:58:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:55:54 PM, askbob wrote:
It's not broken and is a positive measure because it allows us to identifiy those individuals sooner.

What we really need is character minimums. The problem will always exist but it will just be another step in the right direction

also an active mod with deletion powers would fix the problem immediately

These are all excellent points.
At least 250 character minimum.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:59:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:55:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:52:43 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Example :

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

| :/
It was a good idea. Perhaps "You must win 3 debates or participate in 10".
I dunno, I've got nothing.

He still has to complete the debates which is what is important. I don't think it's fair that you have to win all 3. What if a debater challenges J.Kenyon, Danielle, and RoyLatham for their first 3 debates and lose? The debater deserves credit even if he/she loses.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:59:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:58:43 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:55:54 PM, askbob wrote:
It's not broken and is a positive measure because it allows us to identifiy those individuals sooner.

What we really need is character minimums. The problem will always exist but it will just be another step in the right direction

also an active mod with deletion powers would fix the problem immediately

These are all excellent points.
At least 250 character minimum.

Yes. Make 250 characters of nothing. Pretty much what that would do.
Kfc.
SkepticsAskHere
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:01:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well they should make it three wins instead of three debates so that it has to be a legitimate debater at least. If they raise the standards it might improve
Ask Me Anything
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:01:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:59:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:55:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:52:43 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Example :

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

| :/
It was a good idea. Perhaps "You must win 3 debates or participate in 10".
I dunno, I've got nothing.

He still has to complete the debates which is what is important. I don't think it's fair that you have to win all 3. What if a debater challenges J.Kenyon, Danielle, and RoyLatham for their first 3 debates and lose? The debater deserves credit even if he/she loses.

The site could maybe not impose the character minimum but automatically scan and delete debates where the one user is under a certain number of characters
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:02:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you did 3 wins then people would multi account and have the one account lose 3 spam debates.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:04:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:02:56 PM, askbob wrote:
If you did 3 wins then people would multi account and have the one account lose 3 spam debates.

In that case, just don't vote.

I would propose instead, that the requirement be that the debate has at least 5 likes.
Kfc.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:05:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm all for active mods with the power to delete that rubbish. It makes us all look bad.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
SkepticsAskHere
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:05:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:02:56 PM, askbob wrote:
If you did 3 wins then people would multi account and have the one account lose 3 spam debates.

Well that's true, but it might make it more difficult to cheat
Ask Me Anything
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:06:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:05:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm all for active mods with the power to delete that rubbish. It makes us all look bad.

Presidents of DDO should have the power to ban. Otherwise they're nothing but a name.
Kfc.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:06:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I say just give people moderator powers to delete bad debates and redirect the instigator to a thread about how to start intelligent debates.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:06:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.

The simplest way is to allow all members to vote immediately but their votes do not count until three of their RFD have received a recommendation and second from an existing member with voting privileges.
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:06:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:06:08 PM, mongeese wrote:
I say just give people moderator powers to delete bad debates and redirect the instigator to a thread about how to start intelligent debates.

If they create pure spam debates in the first place they won't learn a damned thing.
Kfc.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:08:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:01:59 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:59:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:55:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:52:43 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Example :

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

| :/
It was a good idea. Perhaps "You must win 3 debates or participate in 10".
I dunno, I've got nothing.

He still has to complete the debates which is what is important. I don't think it's fair that you have to win all 3. What if a debater challenges J.Kenyon, Danielle, and RoyLatham for their first 3 debates and lose? The debater deserves credit even if he/she loses.

The site could maybe not impose the character minimum but automatically scan and delete debates where the one user is under a certain number of characters

What if you are VERY concise :p?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Brainmaster
Posts: 1,603
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:09:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:08:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/23/2011 10:01:59 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:59:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:55:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 6/23/2011 9:52:43 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Example :

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

| :/
It was a good idea. Perhaps "You must win 3 debates or participate in 10".
I dunno, I've got nothing.

He still has to complete the debates which is what is important. I don't think it's fair that you have to win all 3. What if a debater challenges J.Kenyon, Danielle, and RoyLatham for their first 3 debates and lose? The debater deserves credit even if he/she loses.

The site could maybe not impose the character minimum but automatically scan and delete debates where the one user is under a certain number of characters

What if you are VERY concise :p?

Consiceness at that level usually means an argument like "Nope. You are wrong."
Kfc.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:10:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:06:17 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.

The simplest way is to allow all members to vote immediately but their votes do not count until three of their RFD have received a recommendation and second from an existing member with voting privileges.

This is good too.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 10:14:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 10:06:17 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.
It is trivial to handle character limits.

The simplest way is to allow all members to vote immediately but their votes do not count until three of their RFD have received a recommendation and second from an existing member with voting privileges.

It only makes it more blatantly obvious
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 12:01:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/23/2011 9:55:54 PM, askbob wrote:
It's not broken and is a positive measure because it allows us to identifiy those individuals sooner.

What we really need is character minimums. The problem will always exist but it will just be another step in the right direction

also an active mod with deletion powers would fix the problem immediately

This, I think is the easiest solution. However, the mod should use this power only in case of blatant violation.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2011 12:47:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it would be a good idea for the requirements to be that you win three debates.

Adding to that just say someone hasn't won three debates but has gotten a significant amount of votes.
In other words someone does 5 debates and loses three of them. But the voting ends with him getting 15 points and his opponent 20. It was close enough a debate for him to have been a reasonable debater. So even though he didn't win three debates he would still be able to vote.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)