Jump to topic:

Voting questionnaire incites personal bias

Kandrake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 5:42:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've noticed that when voting for a debate, the first two questions you are asked is, 'who you agreed with before and after the debate'. The latter question is too prone to bias, to be a logical component of the voting process. I say this because people are generally going to keep believing what they already believe, regardless if the position they supported is debunked or not. It's called being staunch and stubborn (of which we all are).

It is our right to be these things, however, to make voting more about the actual validity of the arguments being presented, shouldn't the voting questionnaire be more about whose argument is non-fallacious, and whose argument is based on fallacies? Or whose argument is based on facts, and whose argument is based on conjecture or ideology? But perhaps even this won't help arguments be voted on more objectively, because individuals have to remove their own biases to do so.

I don't know. I just don't see the point of voting if most people are going to vote subjectively anyways.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 5:45:05 AM
It is already based on who made better arguments, who posted more relevant and reliable sources, who had better spelling, grammar, conduct, etc.

Voters don't award points for saying who the agree with before and after a debate, it is simply there for the debaters to see how many minds they swayed.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Kandrake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 6:10:31 AM
It seems as though you're awarded a point each (unless it's tied) for the questions of who you agreed with before and after the debate (correct me if you're not given a point, because I'm still relatively new to this site). If this is so, then that's 2 points out of potentially 6 that is already based on personal bias.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 8:42:28 AM
The answers to first two questions do not carry any point. Other questions carry different points.

Arguments - 3 points
Sources - 2 points
Conduct - 1 point
Spelling / Grammar - 1 point.

You can read more about it here...

http://www.debate.org...
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.