New Member's Help Desk!

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 4:15:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Welcome to the New Member's Help Desk!

When joining a new site, things can be confusing and there are a few things you should know before engaging in our exciting community.

Here are some tips that should help you feel at home.

Navigating the Forums

Once clicking the "Forums" button at the top of the page you are taken to a page listing all the forums. They each contain a multitude of "Topics" (also called "threads", for slang) that discuss a subject related to that type of forum. The first forum is titled "Debate.org" and discusses everything relating to the site itself, such as this very thread.

Once clicking one of the threads in a forum you will be taken to that discussion. The rectangles going down the page with a member's name and picture next to them are called "posts" and are created by those members. The first post was made by the member who created the thread and it introduces the discussion.

Posting in Threads

Near the top of a page within a thread there is a button that says "Add Post". Click this to post in that thread. You will be taken to a page with a typing space. Click in the typing space and type out your post. Click "Review" to see what your post will look like and press "Add Post" if you are satisfied.

To reply to someone's post, click the button "Reply & Quote" on the post that you want to reply to. This will take you to the same page with the typing field but there will already be text present in the field. Just post your reply underneath the text. Review and Add Post.

Quoted text will appear like this once posted:

At 5/10/2011 11:45:43 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Quoted text

If you care to fake-quote something all you need to do is add a colon to the beginning of the paragraph to turn the words grey.

To make text look special, such as bolding, highlight what text you want to change by holding down the left mouse button and scrolling it over what you want to highlight, then click one of the three buttons to the bottom right of the typing space. A code will appear around the text. During review you will see the effects of the code.

Creating Threads

On the page of every forum, as well as in every thread, there is a button that says "New Topic". Click this to create a new topic in that forum. You will be given a typing space just like before but you will also be asked to create a title for the thread related to what the discussion is supposed to be about. Review and Add Post.

Starting a Debate

On the main page of the site you will see a large green button at the top of the screen that says "Start a New Debate". This will take you to a page with various fields to fill out for starting your debate. The top field titled "Opponent" can be left blank, this means that a random person who sees the debate may decide whether to accept the challenge or not. If you choose to debate a specific member rather than having an "open debate" you will have to wait for them to accept the challenge.

Engaging in a Debate

The two participants in a debate will take turns in "rounds" delivering their arguments. One participant is the "Instigator", the person who starts the debate. The other participant is the "Contender", the person who accepts the challenge. One of the participants is "Pro", the person who is arguing in favor of the debate topic (also called a "resolution"). The other participant is "Con", the person who is arguing against the debate topic.

After the debate you will be judged by spectators on several characteristics. The characteristics are "Who had better conduct", "Had better spelling and grammar", "Made more convincing arguments" and "Used more reliable sources". Each of these characteristics give you points in the debate during the "voting period". After the voting period is over the participant with the most points is declared the winner of the debate.

Your Profile

On the left of the screen there is always a list of buttons. The "View Profile" button will take you to your profile.

Your profile displays your latest debates, your latest activity on the site(posting in threads, etc) your debating statistics, your profile picture(called "avatar" for slang) and any personal information that you choose to give.

By clicking the "Edit Profile" button located right under the View Profile button you can change your profile picture and personal information.

At the bottom of your profile is located any comments that people may leave on your profile. Notice that people can't post comments on your profile unless you have added them as a friend or if you make them able to by changing your settings with the "My Settings" button.

The Home Page

At the top right of the page you will always see a "Home" button. On the top left of the home page it will display your "Action Items" such as if you have any debate challenges given to you, debate rounds you have due, friendship requests you have received or other things you should take action on. On the bottom left of your home page it will display your "Account Notifications" such as when someone posts a comment on your profile or when you have just become friends with someone. On the right of your home page it will display your "What My Friends Are Doing" box that shows any threads your friends are posting in and other such activity.

Terms and Phenomenons

Debate.org has a very developed culture and has a large variety of terms and sayings that have sprung up and are often used by active members.

DDO - An abbreviation of Debate.org. DebateDotOrg.

PM - An abbreviation of Private Message

Troll - A member that is unproductive and generally annoying.

Votebomb - When someone gives all 7 points to a debater without good reason.

Votingbloc - When a group of debaters gang up and always vote for each other.

Mafia Games - A popular activity that takes place in the "Games" forum that involves an informed minority and an uninformed majority that face-off against each other. There are often beginner games set up for new players.

Presidential Elections - A periodic tradition where the active members of the site elect a "president" and their "cabinet" out of other active members. The elections are mostly for play but the owners of the site, known as "Juggle", accept the president and their cabinet as the official representatives of the community and their desires. They even have an official page devoted to the elected officials: http://www.debate.org...

(At the time I've posted this thread the elected officials page is not correctly updated. Innomen is the current president.)

Proper Etiquette

There are certain behaviors which are considered favorable and unfavorable on the site.

Don't make a claim if you can't defend it. It is likely to be engaged with an argument when you make a claim.

Be open to other's opinions. This is a very diverse site of opinions and I can assure you that being open here will allow you to learn a lot of new things.

Don't create a comparably large amount of trivial threads. This will just get in the way of giving traffic to the more meaningful ones.

Adding more friends is a good idea.

Don't make personal attacks. Attacking each other's arguments is what this site is all about, making things personal destroys the integrity of doing that. You can point out why you disagree with someone while still being friendly. Don't do name calling or give harassment.

Good Luck

I look forward to seeing waves of eager and informed new members to join our community.

If you have any questions please post them here or send me a PM.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 7:08:25 AM
great now we can have a bunch of idiots who couldn't figure this out in the first place using the forums! woo hoo
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 7:19:47 AM
At 6/27/2011 7:08:25 AM, askbob wrote:
great now we can have a bunch of idiots who couldn't figure this out in the first place using the forums! woo hoo

Most of this is just to indicate to new members that we are trying to be welcoming.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 8:43:45 AM
Great job freedo. I don't know if this thread will get stickied or not. Some people have a hard time staying positive and are still crying over losing.

I will fav this thread so it can be used for the final version. I think it will need to be put together and given to juggle to make, sticky and lock and same time.

I hope anyone with something positive and constructive will add to this thread. Videos. Screenshot tutorials. Advice. Anything you would have liked to know when you first got here would be great.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 1:07:18 PM

You're a downer. Freedo is actually helping out the site while you just sit around and b|tch about everything like a republican.
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 1:10:40 PM
At 6/27/2011 1:07:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

You're a downer. Freedo is actually helping out the site while you just sit around and b|tch about everything like a democrat.
Kfc.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 2:20:55 PM
Cool

I think this thread should have koopins video as well though...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 4:09:07 PM
At 6/27/2011 7:19:47 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

Most of this is just to indicate to new members that we are trying to be welcoming.

Askbob is opposed to this because jharry is connected to it.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 4:26:37 PM
At 6/27/2011 4:09:07 PM, Grape wrote:

Askbob is opposed to this because jharry is connected to it.

Lolwut???? Still butthurt? Lmao.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 5:00:14 PM

Well, we're making those "bunch of idiots" smart ones by giving them instructions about debating in the first place.

Otherwise, you'll get people like: http://www.debate.org....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 5:16:28 PM

welcoming or patronizing?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 5:17:13 PM

You're a downer. Freedo is actually helping out the site while you just sit around and b|tch about everything like a republican.

I don't see how it even minorly helps the site.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 5:24:20 PM
At 6/27/2011 5:17:13 PM, askbob wrote:

I don't see how it even minorly helps the site. I'm still terribly butthurt about losing the election so I'm going to degrade every effort by the DDO party. I hope no one notices.

Nope, I don't think anyone can tell. :)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:32:58 PM
Askbob, your anti-social rhetoric undoes a lot of the actually productiveness you bring. Please, just chill.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:53:04 PM
At 6/27/2011 9:32:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Askbob, your anti-social rhetoric undoes a lot of the actually productiveness you bring. Please, just chill.

lol it's hardly anti-social just anti-stupid
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 9:53:55 PM
At 6/27/2011 9:53:04 PM, askbob wrote:

lol it's hardly anti-social just anti-stupid

This is the stupidest thread on DDO. Period.

If you gonna make a tutorial, at least make it like how to start a debate not how to press a button.
Kfc.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:01:35 PM

He's to butthurt to chill. Just let him wallow in is self pity, it's so much fun to watch. :)
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:04:38 PM
At 6/27/2011 10:02:34 PM, Koopin wrote:
Since when did Brainmaster become askbob's lap girl?

I'm not. Askbob just happened to say something intelligent.
Kfc.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:04:48 PM
Freedo, I doubt this thread will make it to the sticky. But there is some good stuff in here. Make sure to copy and save so it can be added to the final thread.

There is too much spamming by the hater in this thread.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:05:31 PM

have you even read this thread lol I mean seriously. Next write a book on how to type and press the enter key please! Oh and no one knows how to check their spelling either or use an internet browser. That next!
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:05:32 PM
At 6/27/2011 10:04:38 PM, Brainmaster wrote:

I'm not. Askbob just happened to say something intelligent.

You agree with him on everything. Whenever he says something, you have to agree.
kfc
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:07:51 PM
At 6/27/2011 10:04:48 PM, jharry wrote:
Freedo, I doubt this thread will make it to the sticky. But there is some good stuff in here. Make sure to copy and save so it can be added to the final thread.

HEY NEW MEMBAR. YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE USING 6 SIMPAL STEPS

1. PUT YO MOUSE NEAR TEXT
2. CLICK AND DRAG TO THE RIGHT TO HIGHLIGHT DA TEXT
3. HOLD DOWN THE CONTROL BUTTON THEN PRESS C
4. GO TO THE WORDS
5. CLICK
6. HOLD DOWN THE CONTROL BUTTON THEN PRESS P
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 10:08:47 PM
At 6/27/2011 10:07:51 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/27/2011 10:04:48 PM, jharry wrote:

HEY NEW MEMBAR. YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE USING 6 SIMPAL STEPS

1. PUT YO MOUSE NEAR TEXT
2. CLICK AND DRAG TO THE RIGHT TO HIGHLIGHT DA TEXT
3. HOLD DOWN THE CONTROL BUTTON THEN PRESS C
4. GO TO THE WORDS
5. CLICK
6. HOLD DOWN THE CONTROL BUTTON THEN PRESS V

fixd
Kfc.