Jump to topic:

VD Day and Initiatives

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:28:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
While today is VD Day (Victory Debate.org, coined by Man Is Good) it is not a day to celebrate. Debate.org is at the lowest point in its history, but this is no time for despair, the only way to go from here is up. So I am making the initiative to clean up this site before it sinks beneath the waves.

We have asked a lot of our admins in recent weeks, now it is time not to ask what your site can do for you, but what you can do for your site.

Order of Business:

1. Trolls crave attention. Ignore troll threads, and dont respond to a troll if he posts into a serious thread.

2. Do not vote on spam debates. The debaters will be left with a tie.

3. If you suspect someone of multi-accounting, don't make a giant thread demanding the mods ban him. Our new reigning admin reads through the ban reports much more often so do not doubt that your reports will be ignored.

4. Fill the forums with a plethora of interesting, educational, and discussable threads. Not only will this intimidate trolls, it will draw more active members into the forums and create a more active and productive community.

5. Friend new members.

6. Give our admins one job to do at a time. If they are confronted by a wall of demands it will be easy to ignore them. Our most current suggestions are a Tournament System and ELO voting (don't ask me on the status).

7. Don't start flame wars. They destroy the quality of the site.

Remember, you are not required to do these things, but for the love of DDO please do.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:33:03 PM
I would reconsider calling it "VD" day, since I can't help but think of venereal disease.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:35:45 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:28:17 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Order of Business:

1. Trolls crave attention. Ignore troll threads, and dont respond to a troll if he posts into a serious thread.

I gotta say no to this one. Troll thread are the one that get the most response, so why kill that?
2. Do not vote on spam debates. The debaters will be left with a tie.

aye
3. If you suspect someone of multi-accounting, don't make a giant thread demanding the mods ban him. Our new reigning admin reads through the ban reports much more often so do not doubt that your reports will be ignored.

Yes
4. Fill the forums with a plethora of interesting, educational, and discussable threads. Not only will this intimidate trolls, it will draw more active members into the forums and create a more active and productive community.

Yeah
5. Friend new members.

Of course
6. Give our admins one job to do at a time. If they are confronted by a wall of demands it will be easy to ignore them. Our most current suggestions are a Tournament System and ELO voting (don't ask me on the status).

Yep
7. Don't start flame wars. They destroy the quality of the site.

Gotta Say no to this one. Flaming is just one's way of saying "I love you"
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:46:26 PM
Look, I need to say something regarding this so-called "Low point".

I'm as sad as anyone that Koopin has apparently left forever and badger has deactivated his other account. I'm sad that C_N (who was one of the first people to pwn my primitive ideas about religion when I first joined) is no longer active.

HOWEVER, lets not blow this out of proportion. I know I'm not the only person that spends a ridiculous amount of time logged on to DDO (I'm logged in like 22 hours a day, even if I'm not actually 'here') and I consider myself one of the more active members of the forums, but lets put this into perspective. This is just a website people. Sure, we're a tight-knit community and I'm quite fond of many of you, but just because a few members have decided to hang their boots up isn't cause to start freaking out.

Move on, stop pretending like it's something it isn't. Koopin and badger are just two of our best members. If half of my friend list decided to deactivate, I'd be a bit concerned but come on... they're young guys. They probably realised they spend too much time here and decided to focus on other facets of their lives.

If they want to come back, they will.
If they don't want to come back, will harassing them make things better?

As for this thread, I totally agree with Rocky. If you get to the point (as I did with Brainmaster) where you've given someone a chance, tried to be inclusive with some of our games and in-jokes and they still crap all over everything, just ignore them.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say.
Peace the fvck out.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 6:48:17 PM
At 6/29/2011 6:33:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I would reconsider calling it "VD" day, since I can't help but think of venereal disease.

Same here, VB Day then?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 1:17:19 AM
At 6/29/2011 8:19:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
No, this day is a cursed day. I just totaled my car. I call curse!!! CURSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what happens when muppets drive.