Jump to topic:

Reporting Block

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:09:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know how Juggle's 3rd party moderation system works. In all likelihood most reports are never read by real people. Some (maybe many) report systems work on a volumetric basis.

For example, if a troll makes life-threatening and crude remarks and only one person reports him, nothing happens. But if another troll says a swear about 20 people report him, a red flag goes off and they are either autobanned or someone takes a look at it. Even if the offense is trivial, the volume of reports is usually evidence enough that the person is bad for the community, and action is taken.

Sign up here to be included in an anti-troll reporting block PM. Obvious trolls will be pointed out and we'll mass report them, hopefully exceeding the volume-threshold.

I'll only include serious core members of the community. We'll only mass report people who are obviously being detrimental to the community.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:30:50 AM
Do you think something like this might be abused? If there is some threshold?

I know someone suggested a like/dislike feature to the mods. They turned it down saying it is evident that something like this can be abused. Maybe they already know about mass reporting?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:40:50 AM
Who cares if it can be abused? We're not reporting core members.

There is no process for identifying trolls. Its just whatever we can all agree upon.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:43:07 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:30:50 AM, jharry wrote:
Do you think something like this might be abused? If there is some threshold?

No, because if the offense isn't warranted then the moderators will simply not take action. If I'm reported by 20 people for saying the word "cat" then the mods will likely ban the trolls who did the reporting for that, and not me.

Anyway sign me up I guess. I'm not sure how active I can continue to be on DDO, but if I get a PM asking to report a specific person or comment then I probably will. Kudos to Sieben for proposing a solution instead of just complaining.
President of DDO
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:44:31 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:40:50 AM, Sieben wrote:
Who cares if it can be abused? We're not reporting core members.

There is no process for identifying trolls. Its just whatever we can all agree upon.

Sounds about right. I'm in.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:47:24 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:45:40 AM, Minuteman wrote:
At 6/30/2011 9:09:25 AM, Sieben wrote:
I'll only include serious core members of the community.

Too bad, otherwise I'd join.

To be honest, I'd question your motives for wanting to join, considering you've been here less than a day, and so can't really have had too many issues with trolls.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:48:09 AM
I'll get in on this as well. I'll be largely inactive during the semester but I'll always find my way back, it's just so easy to log on.
kfc
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:51:00 AM
K I'll probably make the PM tomorrow to give all the active serious members a chance to respond to this thread.

Thanks for support.

Minuteman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:51:28 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:47:24 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 6/30/2011 9:45:40 AM, Minuteman wrote:
I'll only include serious core members of the community.

Too bad, otherwise I'd join.

To be honest, I'd question your motives for wanting to join, considering you've been here less than a day, and so can't really have had too many issues with trolls.

Been on other sites for awhile. Every step must be taken to stop trolls. Otherwise, they overrun things. If you're desperate enough to do something like this, things must be preeeeety bad.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:55:02 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:43:07 AM, Danielle wrote:

No, because if the offense isn't warranted then the moderators will simply not take action. If I'm reported by 20 people for saying the word "cat" then the mods will likely ban the trolls who did the reporting for that, and not me.

No they won't, the mass bans lately are a sign of that. A report block can cause anyone to be banned regardless if they have done anything or not due to the sheet volume of reports. This is also clearly a TOS violation and a clear violation of a notice from Juggle recently about members harassing other members.

Thaddeus, I would appreciate a PM once this is set up and you put this into action.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:00:10 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:55:02 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
No they won't, the mass bans lately are a sign of that. A report block can cause anyone to be banned regardless if they have done anything or not due to the sheet volume of reports.

I'm not in the business of reporting people, so correct me if I'm wrong -- when reporting someone you must include a link or something to prove that the accused has actually done something wrong. Upon being banned, if innocent I would contact Juggle and ask them to show me where I did something wrong. If I didn't, they'd re-instate my account. They have been accommodating to me in the few interactions I've had with mods. Sure it'd be annoying to be falsely accused, but I think is unlikely to happen anyway. In order for a troll block, you would need a number of them instead of just a bunch of accounts (which I assume would violate IP regulations). I know some people have no life, but damn. Troll blocks takes trolling to a WHOLE new level. Plus, there's nothing stopping from trolls from already doing that anyway. I don't see the harm in this.
President of DDO
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:00:32 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:55:02 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

No they won't, the mass bans lately are a sign of that. A report block can cause anyone to be banned regardless if they have done anything or not due to the sheet volume of reports.

Not our problem if their legal system has a loophole. Proving it COULD be abused is not the same thing as proving we're going to abuse it.

This is also clearly a TOS violation and a clear violation of a notice from Juggle recently about members harassing other members.

Its not really harassment. We're not engaging them, we're engaging whatever automated report handling system they have in place.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:05:21 AM
I like it Sieben, and i agree with Danielle, thanks for offering a solution rather than just pointing out the problems.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:10:38 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:00:32 AM, Sieben wrote:

Its not really harassment. We're not engaging them, we're engaging whatever automated report handling system they have in place.

As an individual yes this would be as intended to organize a block it isn't. This would be similar to a voting block which for example I could organize when I noted that a debate that I felt was lopsided needed a rush of votes. It undermines the nature of the vote. But again once voice that is all, I just want a PM when this is put into action.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:11:57 AM
Sign me up!!! I'm tired of trolls and I am willing to work with any system that may eliminate the problem!! It is a shame the trolls use this site like they do honestly.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:17:40 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:10:38 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 6/30/2011 10:00:32 AM, Sieben wrote:

As an individual yes this would be as intended to organize a block it isn't. This would be similar to a voting block which for example I could organize when I noted that a debate that I felt was lopsided needed a rush of votes. It undermines the nature of the vote. But again once voice that is all, I just want a PM when this is put into action.

Cliff, you know as well as i, Juggle has not been well coordinated in working to fix the current problem. This isn't about a voting block, but an attempt to take some control of the site by those of us who are in agreement of what we want and don't want here. I don't see the problem given the current atmosphere.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:24:15 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:10:38 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

As an individual yes this would be as intended to organize a block it isn't. This would be similar to a voting block which for example I could organize when I noted that a debate that I felt was lopsided needed a rush of votes. It undermines the nature of the vote.

A voting bloc for debates is directed AT a person. The voting bloc in debates is also a decision. A reporting bloc is not directed at a person, it is directed at the mods. It is also not a decision, because the mods are the ultimate actors. We are just giving our opinions en masse.

But again once voice that is all, I just want a PM when this is put into action.

What? Why do you want a PM?

I can barely read your post. Grammar.

THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:24:49 AM
I think with a little work and tweaking we can find and effective t reduces the trolls. I think if we reduced the amount of trolls it will help bring people to the site. I have told many of my friends about DDO, and they end up deleting their account because of the abundance of trolling occurring. I think that is why one of the biggist reasons Koopin left R.I.P. KFC
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:36:25 AM
If you put "block" on the end it usually ends up bad.

Innomen, is your email still public? I hope you will keep it open, some new members might end up having to get a hold of you.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:42:23 AM
I can get down with this, sign me up so we can crush these trolls who are ruining the quality of our great site!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:51:01 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:36:25 AM, jharry wrote:
If you put "block" on the end it usually ends up bad.

Innomen, is your email still public? I hope you will keep it open, some new members might end up having to get a hold of you.

Yeah, i have a specific email for this sort of thing and it is public here.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:53:26 AM
Could someone enlighten me on the members of this troll army we gave here at DDO. I tried to come up with a list of names I all I came up with is Brainmaster. And he is Thegodhand.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:40:42 AM
Well, since Sieben did mention "core members", which I take to mean the members who are at the top in this website [and the most important], then that means I can't join...Oh well, I would have loved to stop the new-coming trolls, ever since I have been reporting them and trying to ban them through customer support.

Is there anything I can do/assist you?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:43:34 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:40:42 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, since Sieben did mention "core members", which I take to mean the members who are at the top in this website [and the most important], then that means I can't join...Oh well, I would have loved to stop the new-coming trolls, ever since I have been reporting them and trying to ban them through customer support.

Is there anything I can do/assist you?

I get wary when people start assuming they are in the position to decide who core members are.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 5:49:56 PM
I don't know how Juggle's 3rd party moderation system works. In all likelihood most reports are never read by real people. Some (maybe many) report systems work on a volumetric basis.

For example, if a troll makes life-threatening and crude remarks and only one person reports him, nothing happens. But if another troll says a swear about 20 people report him, a red flag goes off and they are either autobanned or someone takes a look at it. Even if the offense is trivial, the volume of reports is usually evidence enough that the person is bad for the community, and action is taken.

Sign up here to be included in an anti-troll reporting block PM. Obvious trolls will be pointed out and we'll mass report them, hopefully exceeding the volume-threshold.

I'll only include serious core members of the community. We'll only mass report people who are obviously being detrimental to the community.

this already exists in my pm, if you'd like to join just let me know
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 5:52:17 PM
At 6/30/2011 5:49:56 PM, askbob wrote:

Really? Do you vote en masse? Does it work?

Why aren't Daniel and Inno etc involved?

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 5:57:47 PM
At 6/30/2011 5:52:17 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 5:49:56 PM, askbob wrote:

Really? Do you vote en masse? Does it work?

Why aren't Daniel and Inno etc involved?

I've posed the opportunity to be involved several times and both have decined/didn't see the threads. We have several methodologies depending on the offense.

Spam Debates
1. Accept Debate
2. Forfeit first round
3. Cancel debate
4. Report debate
5. Vote debate down in popularity
6. If happens multiple times by the same user (catsrule) send a message telling him to stop or you will take action
7. Send PM to eric (changed recently to Zack)
8. Wait 1 week
9. Divulge personal details in PM to user
10. Phone call

Users in Forums
1. User in group says "this guy is trolling/i feel uneasy about this one"
2. Monitor users activity and see if he sticks around
3. If he continues start countertrolling
4. Send PM asking him to stop, etc.
5. Find personals
6. wait 1 week
7. Divulge personals in pm
8. Phone call
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos