Total Posts:144|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO Moderation Update

zack.stovall
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:25:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dear DDO Users,

Several issues have come to our attention, and we feel the need to address them here on the DDO Forum in order make it certain to our valuable users that Debate.org is a priority, and all measures are taken to personally moderate any and all issues within our resources.

First, AskBob has been banned from Debate.org, specifically for invading members' privacy and posting photographs with captions, including phone numbers and addresses. Under no circumstances will such behavior be tolerated. AskBob communicated that his efforts were curb "trolling" by taking such measures - even after being told repeatedly not to do so - due to the lack of moderation on DDO's end. Trolling the site is a constant struggle due to the inherent value that you, the users, bring to the site. Simply put, Debate.org is a popular site because it is populated by great people, and trolling hackers and spammers go after popular sites. Rest assured we are taking every available step to enhance our screening process, streamline the moderation process and improve the over all user experience for the site.

As it seems to bear repeating, again, under no circumstances will hacking to acquire or collecting and disseminating personal user information be tolerated on this site. You will be deleted, your IP addresses tagged, and further measures will be taken to insure you do not appear on the site again, without warning.

As for moderating in general, again, spammers and trolling incidents are a problem for any and all websites. We ask for your patience as we thoroughly scour the site to make sure it is the best it can possibly be. We are always looking for new ways to make the site easier to use and easier to moderate, and look forward to advancements along with you. Just this week, we are implementing a platform change in order to ensure a more stable environment across the entire site. Rest assured that each and every report is reviewed and moderated accordingly, even if it is behind the scenes.

We always enjoy hearing suggestions from our users, from small updates to grand sweeping changes, and look to implement them as time and resource allow. Again, we appreciate your patience and look forward to hearing more rousing debates on any and everything. If you have any specific questions about an issue or a report, feel free to contact my account. Thank you very much for your time.

Best,

Zack
DDO Mod
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:32:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thanks for letting us know your alive.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:38:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thanks for the update; out of curiosity, do you know if we will being seeing more active moderation in the coming time?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:40:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thank you, hopefully we won't lose anymore key members and perhaps some of them might start coming back if they hear of these improvements.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
GMDebater
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:45:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:44:10 PM, innomen wrote:
I've forwarded this thread to the emails of Cliff and Koopin with the hopes that they might return.

thanks. Let's cheer askbob's ban!
We're both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:49:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I hope his ban isn't permanent.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:49:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:32:14 PM, phantom wrote:
Thanks for letting us know your alive.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:50:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thank you, you are several months late to fufill your basic duties, but you got there in the end.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:50:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:45:45 PM, GMDebater wrote:
At 7/6/2011 12:44:10 PM, innomen wrote:
I've forwarded this thread to the emails of Cliff and Koopin with the hopes that they might return.

thanks. Let's cheer askbob's ban!

He was playing with fire, and he knew it. I'm not happy he's been banned, because I don't like that sort of thing, but what's done is done, and hopefully we can start getting back on track if Juggle has revived their interest in making this place better.
GMDebater
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:52:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:50:53 PM, innomen wrote:
At 7/6/2011 12:45:45 PM, GMDebater wrote:
At 7/6/2011 12:44:10 PM, innomen wrote:
I've forwarded this thread to the emails of Cliff and Koopin with the hopes that they might return.

thanks. Let's cheer askbob's ban!

He was playing with fire, and he knew it. I'm not happy he's been banned, because I don't like that sort of thing, but what's done is done, and hopefully we can start getting back on track if Juggle has revived their interest in making this place better.

Agree. Innomen, is there anything I can do to help your presidency and the admins of ddo?
We're both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 12:59:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So let me get this straight.

The website was going downhill badly. The core members were getting more and more upset until one of them decided to do something drastic and violate the TOS.

Rather than target the root cause of askbob's violation (excessive trolls, poor moderation by juggle), only the symptom was treated. An otherwise productive member of the forums was banhammered.

The underlying problem remains, and all we have is juggle's lip service that they're going to do everything they can.

I am seriously considering leaving now. If I don't get some indication that things are going to change, I'm going to leave and take as many people with me as possible.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
el-badgero
Posts: 1,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:01:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
oh please go and take whoever will go with you.
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:02:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:59:56 PM, Sieben wrote:
I am seriously considering leaving now. If I don't get some indication that things are going to change, I'm going to leave and take as many people with me as possible.
Remember, procrastination is not very useful.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:04:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is great that DDO is finally doing its job :). I was worried that DDO wouldn't have the guts to ban askbob, but you proved me wrong. good job.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:05:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If there was another website where I could do semi-quality debates I would probably leave. Though as of yet I haven't been able to find any and plus there are still a few good debaters on this site.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:05:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:59:56 PM, Sieben wrote:
So let me get this straight.

The website was going downhill badly. The core members were getting more and more upset until one of them decided to do something drastic and violate the TOS.

Rather than target the root cause of askbob's violation (excessive trolls, poor moderation by juggle), only the symptom was treated. An otherwise productive member of the forums was banhammered.

Askbob drove away a few moronic teenagers but was the main troll here.


The underlying problem remains, and all we have is juggle's lip service that they're going to do everything they can.

I am seriously considering leaving now. If I don't get some indication that things are going to change, I'm going to leave and take as many people with me as possible.

This place has had no value for a while, I realised that after my debates with J.Kenyon and TS.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:07:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 12:44:10 PM, innomen wrote:
I've forwarded this thread to the emails of Cliff and Koopin with the hopes that they might return.
That is what I was thinking.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:07:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 1:05:37 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Askbob drove away a few moronic teenagers but was the main troll here.

Was he? He certainly trolled me, but only when he was losing arguments. I never saw any indication that he was on the same level as the teenagers.

I think askbob prevented more trolling than he contributed.

This place has had no value for a while, I realised that after my debates with J.Kenyon and TS.

You think Kenyon is worthless or...?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Alien
Posts: 83
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:08:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sieben. You are wrong. ASKBOB created his own and inevitable demise.
It was not what you consider to be trolling or lack of leadership roles by the
Juggle Community. It was HIS excessive rants and disrepectful raves towards
other individuals. You can have fun without insult at others expense. And the horrid
act of indecency that was committed recently, by ASKBOB, is only and self explanatory. > zgbrkplawr
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:08:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Askbo tries to get trolls off the site, succeeds, and gets banned for it? This is a guy who's been taking out every troll under the sun. This is a big loss.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:09:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 1:07:31 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 7/6/2011 1:05:37 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Askbob drove away a few moronic teenagers but was the main troll here.

Was he? He certainly trolled me, but only when he was losing arguments. I never saw any indication that he was on the same level as the teenagers.

I think askbob prevented more trolling than he contributed.


This place has had no value for a while, I realised that after my debates with J.Kenyon and TS.

You think Kenyon is worthless or...?

The voting, debates are ignored or just unread and bombed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:09:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 1:08:25 PM, Alien wrote:
Sieben. You are wrong. ASKBOB created his own and inevitable demise.
It was not what you consider to be trolling or lack of leadership roles by the
Juggle Community. It was HIS excessive rants and disrepectful raves towards
other individuals. You can have fun without insult at others expense. And the horrid
act of indecency that was committed recently, by ASKBOB, is only and self explanatory. > zgbrkplawr

You're Interrogator right? Want to rechallenge me to that abortion debate?
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:09:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 1:08:38 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Askbo tries to get trolls off the site, succeeds, and gets banned for it? This is a guy who's been taking out every troll under the sun. This is a big loss.
Prove that he succeeds. Prove to us that he doesn't actually feed them and makes it fun for them to be targeted all the time. Prove that all the ones he drove away never came back.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:10:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/6/2011 1:07:31 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 7/6/2011 1:05:37 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Askbob drove away a few moronic teenagers but was the main troll here.

Was he? He certainly trolled me, but only when he was losing arguments. I never saw any indication that he was on the same level as the teenagers.

Trolls craved attention. Askbob has been banned from DDO before, and the troll problem has been less of a problem. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, however there is very insufficient evidence that he was solving the 'troll problem'.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2011 1:11:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is good to see that the administrators of our website have taken action towards a breach of the rules.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau