Jump to topic:

DDO will never die

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:06:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been thinking. When I first joined DDO I didnt use the forums. I just debated like a lot of the "noobs" on here. The only way I communicated was with profile comments (mostly to koopin, insertnamehere, lovelife, freedo, true2gaga, etc). Then I found the forums. While I was a troll at first, I grew to like the forums, but shortly after I reached 1,000 posts DDO was in flames and dying fast. I realize now that if I rewinded and never discovered the forums I would have been an ignorant, blissful debater frolicking in debates unaware of "core", "elite" members leaving. I realized I am content with what I had before the forums. Members leave and members join, that's the way it goes. But when a lot of old members leave, a power vacuum is created and new members fill the gap.

This is why I do not fear the loss of the elites, while their absence will mean the loss of some good personalities. I also realize that DDO will survive without a great forum community, the debating community has never had problems, as debates are churned out like meat in a slaughterhouse.

So when DDO "Falls" below the waves, I'll still be here, doing the occasional debate or mafia game, and the newbs will maniest into a community. For better or worse, DDO will survive.

I have decided to stick with DDO until its end, if ever.
I hope you do too.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:28:11 AM
"I'll still be here...at times debatin' "

LOL no wonder you picked that tune

Perhaps the "elites" leaving is the way this site is meant to operate. After all, unless we plan on establishing professional communities then there is going to be a ceiling for discourse, which is already pretty low. We may have an "economics" forum, but we don't have any economists, for example. We may have a "science" forum, but last I checked there weren't any science Ph.Ds here... etc. So if the level of discourse is to remain stagnant, then those who advance must necessarily leave.

Of course we could specialize ourselves and remain as experts in respective areas, which would have some impressive potential for turning this into one giant think-tank as we cross-reference eachother's talents, but that is just in theory. In practice, it seems DDO is to remain a haven for the novice. That could change as it grows...
kfc
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:31:17 AM
At 7/7/2011 2:28:11 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
"I'll still be here...at times debatin' "

LOL no wonder you picked that tune

Perhaps the "elites" leaving is the way this site is meant to operate. After all, unless we plan on establishing professional communities then there is going to be a ceiling for discourse, which is already pretty low. We may have an "economics" forum, but we don't have any economists, for example. We may have a "science" forum, but last I checked there weren't any science Ph.Ds here... etc. So if the level of discourse is to remain stagnant, then those who advance must necessarily leave.

Of course we could specialize ourselves and remain as experts in respective areas, which would have some impressive potential for turning this into one giant think-tank as we cross-reference eachother's talents, but that is just in theory. In practice, it seems DDO is to remain a haven for the novice. That could change as it grows...

more like a haven for anarchists and atheists
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:34:50 AM
Pseudo-anarchists more like. I don't think the majority of them truly understand the depths of it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:36:39 AM
Pseudo-anarchists more like. I don't think the majority of them truly understand the depths of it yet.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:37:01 AM
RL, I agree, those not involved in the forums know nothing of the drama and are all the better for it.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:36:11 PM
Rob has died, depression.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:43:44 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:36:11 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

This is sad. And I know of a list of other core members who are leaving with askbob.

I was going to leave myself, and told askbob that I would. But I've changed my mind.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:45:12 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:43:44 PM, phantom wrote:

This is sad. And I know of a list of other core members who are leaving with askbob.

Do you know who they are?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:47:30 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:45:12 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

Yes. At least some of them. But you'll find out soon enough I expect.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:48:59 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:47:30 PM, phantom wrote:

Which members are you certain are leaving? Because today I found that Cody left, CiRiK left, etc.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:58:07 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:48:59 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 7/7/2011 1:47:30 PM, phantom wrote:

Which members are you certain are leaving? Because today I found that Cody left, CiRiK left, etc.

Pm'd you.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:12:13 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:08:43 PM, Contradiction wrote:
At least the AnCaps are leaving :)

You're glad that large group of people that you disagree with are leaving the debate site that you're a member of?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:13:10 PM

That would include Jkenyon, grape, Thaddeus, timspin, Freeman, androz, cody Tv(I think). Why in hell would you want them to leave?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:14:18 PM

Not all of us. I'm glad we challenged your world view sufficiently that you wanted us gone. There's hope for you yet.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:16:03 PM
Some people don't want to be challenged or proved wrong. Enjoy being big fish in in the small pond. Beat up 8 year olds for their lunch money. Etc.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:22:23 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:13:10 PM, phantom wrote:

That would include Jkenyon, grape, Thaddeus, timspin, Freeman, androz, cody Tv(I think). Why in hell would you want them to leave?

He's just butthurt because I called him and his downie friends mean names. It's a bit unfair of him to implicate the rest of the ancaps just because of our association, though. Don't you think?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:02:06 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:22:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

He's just butthurt because I called him and his downie friends mean names. It's a bit unfair of him to implicate the rest of the ancaps just because of our association, though. Don't you think?

I suppose this may have been where he got it from. Although Thad said most I don't think Contradiction was being literal.

At 7/7/2011 4:58:55 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 7/7/2011 4:57:13 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
What's happening? I smell a conspiracy.

I suppose it was a conspiracy, in that the an-caps discussed the state of the site, and most came to the conclusion it was time to go.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:05:46 AM

Nah you guys got annoying sometimes.
Cheers!
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:22:33 AM
At 7/8/2011 12:05:46 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Nah you guys got annoying sometimes.
Cheers!

A select few. It's unfair to say to anarcho-capitalists "all of x are y" since they are a heterogeneous bunch. Sieben is the worst in the bunch, and J.Kenyon can be off putting sometimes as well.
Open borders debate:
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:44:11 AM
As far as quality goes in the past day or so I have seen better debates open and no troll debates. It appears as if things are already improving.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:50:23 AM
At 7/9/2011 1:44:11 AM, BennyW wrote:
As far as quality goes in the past day or so I have seen better debates open and no troll debates. It appears as if things are already improving.

Forums are getting better too.

Out with the old, in with the new!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:51:04 AM
At 7/9/2011 1:44:11 AM, BennyW wrote:

I agree, things will start getting better faster then most expect.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
ExNihilo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:06:08 AM
At 7/7/2011 2:16:03 PM, Sieben wrote:
Some people don't want to be challenged or proved wrong. Enjoy being big fish in in the small pond. Beat up 8 year olds for their lunch money. Etc.

AN CAPS ARE SMALL (TINY...LIKE MICROBES) FISH IN A REALLY BIG POND....CALLED THE WORLD....

enjoy being a neanderthal...lol
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 8:58:48 AM
At 7/9/2011 2:06:08 AM, ExNihilo wrote:

AN CAPS ARE SMALL (TINY...LIKE MICROBES) FISH IN A REALLY BIG POND....CALLED THE WORLD....

Charming. =|
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:22:33 PM
At 7/9/2011 2:06:08 AM, ExNihilo wrote:

Yeah! Take the lemons back!