Fate of DDO survey

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:13:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Answer these questions succinctly, if you please:

1) Do you think DDO has serious issues right now? If "yes," then what is the biggest problem(s)?

2) Is the remedy for this problem simple? Does it require the attention of the mods, core users, or everybody? How do you personally fit into the solution? Do you feel that you have contributed to the problem?

3) Is there reason to be optimistic about the future of this site? Do you plan on being part of the future of DDO?

4) Is there a viable alternative to DDO that offers a better product?
kfc
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:19:13 AM
At 7/7/2011 2:13:14 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

1) Do you think DDO has serious issues right now? If "yes," then what is the biggest problem(s)?

No

2) Is the remedy for this problem simple? Does it require the attention of the mods, core users, or everybody? How do you personally fit into the solution? Do you feel that you have contributed to the problem?

N/A

3) Is there reason to be optimistic about the future of this site? Do you plan on being part of the future of DDO?

Optimistic? Nah, but I'm not pessimistic. I plan to stick around.

Deep contemplative thought, study, and meditation.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:20:41 AM

Yes. Lack of help for new members, lack of voting, and members leaving.

Blood, Sweat, Tears, and guts

Yes, and Yes

Unless I make a site, no.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:24:57 AM

It has issues. Not any serious ones though.

Time is the best remedy.

Yes, I plan on being part of the future. There's reason to be optimistic since there will likely be new members on DDO.

Better is subjective.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:24:58 AM

Yes. The biggest problem is the simultaneous influx of members creating negative or useless content and the dissatisfaction and subsequent inactivity of members who create useful content.

Yes, the remedy is simply. Increase moderation, strictness, and overall standards and requirements. Excepting a few lapses in judgement, I consider my conduct acceptable and my contributions valuable (though there's some bias involved there :P), so I do not think I am part of the problem. The solution would generally involve the mods and to a lesser extent the core users (who would have to set a standard). Asking the general populace to change their behavior is a naive strategy.

No, because the owner's goals do not seem to coincide with the solution. I will remain at DDO but I do not plan to be terribly active compared to before. The benefits to me seem to be evaporating and the frustrations increasing.

Not in the general sense of what DDO is. Social networking sites in general are sufficient for me to get what I want (discussion with people on difficult or obscure topics of mutual interest).

Here's hoping that something good comes out of this thread, though my optimism is measured.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:27:07 AM

Yes, it is an imbalance of productive and unproductive members.

No remedy is simple. It requires everyone to do something. I am not quite sure where I fit in atm. I have contributed to the problem, because so far I have only halfheartedly tried to be part of the solution.

Maybe, and right now I can't say for certain that I will be.

I don't know.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:27:16 AM

Yes. Hysteria and lack in productive conversations.

2) Is the remedy for this problem simple?

Yes. People need to take a chill-pill and go back to normal discussion.

Does it require the attention of the mods, core users, or everybody?

It's mostly a problem among the forum users. I don't see the mods ever getting far involved.

How do you personally fit into the solution? Do you feel that you have contributed to the problem?

Myself and the Order of Disorder have had absolutely nothing to do with the recent chaotic events.

3) Is there reason to be optimistic about the future of this site?

I've never seen a pessimist make things better.

Do you plan on being part of the future of DDO?

Absolutely. I love everyone here too much to leave.

Maybe. I don't really care. This is the place I have come to know.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:32:06 AM

Yes, drama because people are too sensitive and drag their problems onto everyone else. We did have a troll problem but for the moment it has been taken care of however, any site will have its share of trolls.

There is a remedy. Time for one. People might need to take a break but not necessarily leave for good. Mods and users should work together. If there are members who are acting like trolls the best way to deal with them is to ignore them. More involvement of the mods would be nice but not as a strong arm but more as guardians.

Yes and yes, plenty of sites and organizations have been through rough patches but they can get better with time.
No, not like this.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
GMDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:32:36 AM

Yes, lack of moderation.

The solving is simple: let us self moderate and ignore the trolls!

Not with juggle's policy.

I'm not sure.
We're both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 5:50:47 AM

Yes.
i. Banning of Askbob
ii. People leaving
iii. Lack of response or concern from Juggle
iv. Spam - though that is not a long term concern.

Yes. Just a response from Juggle confirming:
1. They are serious about quality of this site.
2. A confirmation that they will dedicating X resource to the website.
3. If possible - mod power to someone in DDO who can control spam. They will still have the power to overrule the person's decision.

Most probably I will hang on to see if things improve. Might become less active. (Though that was going to happen anyway in near future due to some personal reasons). On other hand if there is a plan to strike, and I am asked to participate, I will probably go along with that. On other hand, my contribution has been much less than some other people. So maybe it does not matter that much.

If you take out the quality of debates - there is nothing special about DDO. Working part-time, I can create a basic website (with debates and forums - all features may not be there) in a month. Others will be able to do it faster. Only I do not see how I will make money out of it.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 6:06:57 AM

No.

N/A

A few prominent members have left recently but others will come to the fore - I will stay around.

No, other sites are too heavilly moderated.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 7:04:18 AM

No

--

Yes

Not that I know of. This is the place for now.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 8:16:46 AM

The issues at hand are serious: other members have been leaving due to problems in the administration and with the problem of trolling (spam debates, advertising, insults to other members). Unfortunately, many of these members were among the giants of this site, so I would expect a decline in quality heretofore.
The remedy is time...We can either a) expect new members to rise and fill the vacancies left by the mass "exodus" b) expect the moderators to gradually change the site [for the better] or at least have members collectively post their arguments from the forums to the debate and increase productivity...The solution isn't really simple, at least--in my view.

I plan to continue posting since DDO could have been worse. There might be some change, whether brought about by the moderators or at least by the members of this site.
I don't know, so I cannot say for sure that there is some "viable alternative to DDO".
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 11:14:58 AM

Yes, and the problem is the over-reaction to the problem.

I don't think i have contributed to the problem, and i think that we are just going through a phase of change.

I am hopeful that the members who remain will help cultivate the new members so that this site will return to it's once status of excellence.

No, and i have looked far and wide.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 11:25:52 AM

Spam debates.

The only solution is a wider pool of good debaters. Increased regulation won't go far.

I dunno. It depends how things turn out, I guess.

There's nothing that's essentially the same as DDO, but there are plenty of other websites to frequent. The net is vast and infinite.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 10:15:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago

Yes. Juggle's lack of a coherent vision for this site is the biggest problem, and the source from which all others flow out of.

It's a question of what this site is going to be. The DDO community has one idea. Juggle doesn't like that idea, but they don't have any alternative. They just have gimmicky "innovations" that pursue short term objectives at the expense of long term sustainable growth.

I'm not optimistic. I think that DDO will be a thing of the past if current trends continue to be trends to the extent that they are. I think that if the way Juggle manages DDO is a reflection of the way that Juggle manages other projects, that Juggle will be bought out within a few years and the current leadership structure replaced. DDO will probably, in that situation, fall by the wayside. But, I don't know if Juggle manages its other projects like it does DDO. I hope not...

I sincerely believe that there are ways this could be worked out. I don't want an alternative because I am invested in the friendships I have with people here.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2013 10:28:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago

No. The site gets a lot of traffic and gets updated periodically, with major updates happening once in a while too. The only issues are a lot of cruddy debates being made, a lot of them being forfeited, and decreased voting, but those arent what I would consider 'serious' issues to DDO

2) Is the remedy for this problem simple?

We have the ability to post debates to forums to get votes, and there is talk of updates in the future that could deal with deletion of forfeited debates and other minor issues too

Team debates is a thing that day by day comes closer to being real, updates to remove full forfeited debates from clogging the voting period among other things is also a potential, the new polls part of the site and new leaderboards are also nice additions to the site..... And im not leaving this place for a LONG time.

Not ones that I have explored
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TheOpinionist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 10:58:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

1) Yes. The mobile version as well as the prepubescent children who do one debate, FF, and then leave the site.
2) I believe it is. Perhaps we could deactivate all members who are inactive after a year. They would have the option to reactivate their accounts later, but so we don't crowd the leaderboard...
3) Yeah I'm hyped about it. DDO has provided a haven for me and many others who can't debate at school for various reasons (my debate program was cancelled). I'm looking forward to being a part of DDO as things are enhanced and the users become more competitive.
4) Nope. All you get past DDO is partisan bullcrap.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 2:12:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/8/2015 10:58:47 AM, TheOpinionist wrote:

1) Yes. The mobile version as well as the prepubescent children who do one debate, FF, and then leave the site.

The people that do one debate and then leave are generally noon sniped by a better member.

2) I believe it is. Perhaps we could deactivate all members who are inactive after a year. They would have the option to reactivate their accounts later, but so we don't crowd the leaderboard...

A lot of the people on that leader board that haven't been around were the ones that made it possible for this site to be here now. Not really an issue.

3) Yeah I'm hyped about it. DDO has provided a haven for me and many others who can't debate at school for various reasons (my debate program was cancelled). I'm looking forward to being a part of DDO as things are enhanced and the users become more competitive.

There is still a good community here, just gotta ignore all the bs.

4) Nope. All you get past DDO is partisan bullcrap.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen