Jump to topic:

Are you protecting your identity?

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:48:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is Rob; I just closed my account because I realized I am probably not getting hired for jobs due to my social networking identity. I doubt my DDO is contributing at this time, but I'm sure it will in the near future and I'm positive my facebook has probably costed me employment opportunities.

This situation with askbob is a good example of where employment searches are headed; in the near future, it is likely that employers are going to be able to hire people just like askbob to search out all your internet activity (even if you don't think it's easily linked/findable) and give the employer a "hireability score" based on what they find. IOWs, they will piece together your identity using clues from facebook, email, DDO, etc. and find out everything they can to destroy your identity and then use it against you while you are trying to look for a job.

I would say that everyone on DDO can suffer somehow from being linked to their DDO views, and very few if any can be helped by being easy to link (you could possibly squeeze in an exception but that would be peculiar indeed). Therefore I suggest that you deactivate your accounts and reopen new ones that people like askbob and potential employers cannot POSSIBLY link you to in order to protect your identity. If you wait, it may become harder to do in the future as records being to be collected.

Also, make sure you go through your facebook account settings and block the hell out of everything - especially who can see your friends. This is how askbob was able to operate in his final crusade against Brain. Your friends on facebook are your worst enemies in a job search. If your account settings are set up correctly, employers (or others who aren't your explicit added friends) should only be able to see your picture and name. Keep your main profile picture either a) professional or better yet b) completely nondescript (e.g., icon, picture of an animal, etc.) so it further limits employer's hirelings from discriminating against you. I could have very well lost job opportunities by simply not hiding my work history; it's currently "unemployed" and that doesn't look great. Also, facebook changes their settings often and when they do, your privacy settings are subject to revert back to a less private state. Check back on it weekly and stay on top of it.

Finally, please note that 80% of job openings are not formally listed. Anyone even remotely considering holding a job someday should be joining linkedin to establish a professional social networking profile and using the tools there to network for job-searching; this also gives your online identity a professional ground. You should be easy to find on linkedin and impossible to find anywhere else.

The internet is a dangerous place; thankfully DDO makes it easy for us to close out our stuff and protect ourselves.
Rob
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:54:19 PM
I love lasagna.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:56:10 PM
General rule of thumb is to never put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want everyone to see, and know that it will be there forever. I don't worry about my stuff, and guilt by association? Well, I'll take my chances.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 1:56:11 PM
Also, how did you figure out your employers might be using your internet profiles to dig up dirt on you? Just (intelligent) speculation?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:38:33 PM
Yea askbob and his circle jerk are the reason why I am fairly closed off.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:13:03 PM
At 7/7/2011 1:56:11 PM, Sieben wrote:
Also, how did you figure out your employers might be using your internet profiles to dig up dirt on you? Just (intelligent) speculation?

They have been known to do this, and they do often use these people finder websites as i have heard of companies that actually have subscriptions to them.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:30:04 PM
I suppose my biggest liability is my youtube channel as I already have my facebook on the highest security settings and don't have address phone numbers and such on it.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:07:34 PM
@ OP

I maintain clear difference between my genuine online presence and accounts like this which I use to discuss religious, political or social affairs. On other hand I do not mind if someone comes to know my real identity. It is possible that some of the 'detectives' have already found out.

So any potential employers, if they choose to investigate, will come to know that I do have my own opinions - however I do not allow my opinion to affect my work.

I maintain minimal presence on facebook (school name, college name, work, friends). I make sure I never discuss my work online. The account is there so that old friends can search me and contact me.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.