Jump to topic:

The legend himself

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:09:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A few reasons, the main two ones were that it was becoming a liability I was having to defend far too often and the entire atmosphere was becoming focused on a hostile and attacking perspective.

I was using DDO at work (lunch, breaks, etc.) and co-workers noted the screen a few times and complained to HR that the content was offensive. Harassment laws are very strict here, especially at work, and I was asked to discontinue. That got me to thinking as to why am I participating in a community which is having that effect.

I had also recommended DDO to a co-worker, one of their kids joined and he was harassed after he made a few silly debates and now I again have a conversation with a friend trying to defend why I would be an advocate for a community who would attack a 14 year old kid for making a few silly debates instead of trying to help him make a better debate.

I had also spent a lot of time trying to recruit people to join DDO and it was always the same thing, it is hostile environment and a real liability. If I was still teaching I could never suggest my students go on DDO as if I did and they were attacked/harassed then I would be liable.

The other thing is that the mentality seemed to constantly be shifting towards a very hostile and attacking approach. The reporting block was such an example. I had tried on several occasions to try to recruit people for a voting group, a mentoring group - to no effect, but people rallied for the change to mass report someone. That is just wrong on so many levels.

People were looking for problems and focusing on the problems. When I saw a group of 15 people who were enthusiastic to get a private PM reporting bomb in place but I was consistently seeing debates where often I was the only one voting, with 1-3 comments and a couple of likes it just showed again a very negative and hostile approach.

It isn't the fact that reporting is a bad thing, but it should be the very last thing anyone should make a priority. Get 15 people to commit to reading debates, voting, commenting, encouraging new members, having debates like I did where you work with them to develop arguments. Now imagine the effect that would have on DDO and especially new members.
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:13:34 PM
Agree completely.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:31:17 PM
I also want to see more teenagers creating unserious/troll debates. The open hostility and rudeness also needs to go away so that we can just have passive-aggressive hostility and rudeness, even if it is 1000x more harmful. Jerking people around, wasting their time, and ganging up on them is okay as long as nobody says any naughty words.

This is my shitea­ting grin http://upload.wikimedia.org...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:39:26 PM
At 7/7/2011 10:37:59 PM, el-badgero wrote:
you're an idiot.

WHOAH DUDE THAT IS WAY TOO HOSTILE MY COWORKERS ARE OFFENDED AND THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR LITTLE KIDS

quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 10:43:33 PM
This makes sense. Hopefully the people in charge put this into effect and hopefully most core members will stay.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:17:48 AM
Is this from Cliff?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:54:22 AM
At 7/7/2011 10:09:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
A few reasons, the main two ones were that it was becoming a liability I was having to defend far too often and the entire atmosphere was becoming focused on a hostile and attacking perspective.

I was using DDO at work (lunch, breaks, etc.) and co-workers noted the screen a few times and complained to HR that the content was offensive.

Why were they reading over your shoulder? Why did they complain to HR and not to you? What sort of sad petty weasel cunts do you work with?

Harassment laws are very strict here, especially at work, and I was asked to discontinue. That got me to thinking as to why am I participating in a community which is having that effect.

What harassment? Harassment is not "being offended by something I have no right to shove my nose in".

I had also recommended DDO to a co-worker, one of their kids joined and he was harassed after he made a few silly debates and now I again have a conversation with a friend trying to defend why I would be an advocate for a community who would attack a 14 year old kid for making a few silly debates instead of trying to help him make a better debate.

This is a debate site, not a bloody playground. By the age of 14 if he has not developed sufficient intelligence to participate in debates then he never will. Such people should be attacked.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:05:43 AM

People were looking for problems and focusing on the problems. When I saw a group of 15 people who were enthusiastic to get a private PM reporting bomb in place but I was consistently seeing debates where often I was the only one voting, with 1-3 comments and a couple of likes it just showed again a very negative and hostile approach.

I like his point here. There seems to be a lot more activity in the forums complaining about trolls, then voting on debates.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 3:16:13 AM
At 7/8/2011 3:05:43 AM, Double_R wrote:
I like his point here. There seems to be a lot more activity in the forums complaining about trolls, then voting on debates.

Agree also.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:44:48 AM
At 7/8/2011 3:05:43 AM, Double_R wrote:

This
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:46:28 AM
At 7/8/2011 1:54:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I was using DDO at work (lunch, breaks, etc.) and co-workers noted the screen a few times and complained to HR that the content was offensive.

Why were they reading over your shoulder? Why did they complain to HR and not to you? What sort of sad petty weasel cunts do you work with?

Harassment laws are very strict here, especially at work, and I was asked to discontinue. That got me to thinking as to why am I participating in a community which is having that effect.

What harassment? Harassment is not "being offended by something I have no right to shove my nose in".

This is a debate site, not a bloody playground. By the age of 14 if he has not developed sufficient intelligence to participate in debates then he never will. Such people should be attacked.

Cool, do you have any more pictures of yourself you would like to share with us? I'm sure askbob is lurking.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 10:50:34 AM
I definitely agree about the voting, but the internet will never be as civil as IRL. You need to have a thicker skin then you have IRL because you're not interacting with faces, and I think you can only expect so much with people are interacting with near completely anonymity - especially teenagers.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:46:35 AM

LOL. Get a grip. Comments like this from people like this are what make this site so incredibly hilarious yet impossible to believe at times.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:49:11 AM
CN is right. We don't need this to be inclusive. Its not a social club. The world of ideas does not depend on mass participation. It depends on quality.

LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 11:54:44 AM
At 7/8/2011 11:49:11 AM, Sieben wrote:
CN is right. We don't need this to be inclusive. Its not a social club. The world of ideas does not depend on mass participation. It depends on quality.

Geed
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:29:55 PM
At 7/8/2011 10:46:28 AM, jharry wrote:
Cool, do you have any more pictures of yourself you would like to share with us? I'm sure askbob is lurking.

Huh?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:43:38 PM
At 7/8/2011 12:29:55 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Huh?

"This is a debate site, not a bloody playground. By the age of 14 if he has not developed sufficient intelligence to participate in debates then he never will. Such people should be attacked." -C_N

This statement. This is how askbob saw you. So he thought it was ok to attack you. If this is the kind of behaviour you like please give us some more pictures of yourself so we can attack you.

Your stament above is an example of the people (you) we DON'T want around here anymore.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:49:29 PM
At 7/8/2011 12:43:38 PM, jharry wrote:

Huh?

"This is a debate site, not a bloody playground. By the age of 14 if he has not developed sufficient intelligence to participate in debates then he never will. Such people should be attacked." -C_N

This statement. This is how askbob saw you.

Yea... right... thats nice.

So he thought it was ok to attack you. If this is the kind of behaviour you like please give us some more pictures of yourself so we can attack you.

More pictures?

Your stament above is an example of the people (you) we DON'T want around here anymore.

Didn't you threaten to punch me because I believed in evolution? Seriously why would someone of your education level and IQ be on a debate site? Now run along.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:50:54 PM

This is a debate site. Does that mean everyone has to be a perfect debater before they come on this site? And what is this joke about being perfect debater by age of 14? Do you want to limit debating to Americans; who have English as first language and do not learn any other language all their life?
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:52:59 PM
At 7/8/2011 12:50:54 PM, baggins wrote:

This is a debate site. Does that mean everyone has to be a perfect debater before they come on this site? And what is this joke about being perfect debater by age of 14? Do you want to limit debating to Americans; who have English as first language and do not learn any other language all their life?

No, but someone should have some sort of intelligence. If I joined here when I was 14 I'd still be a worthy member, kids don't deserve special treatement. It's patronising. We should be elitist, it is a debate site.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:01:26 PM
At 7/8/2011 12:49:29 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/8/2011 12:43:38 PM, jharry wrote:

Huh?

This statement. This is how askbob saw you.

Yea... right... thats nice.

And true. I can see why he didn't like you. I don't like you. But I won't do what he did. I just ignore you most of the time.

So he thought it was ok to attack you. If this is the kind of behaviour you like please give us some more pictures of yourself so we can attack you.

More pictures?

Sure.

Didn't you threaten to punch me because I believed in evolution? Seriously why would someone of your education level and IQ be on a debate site? Now run along.

No I didn't threaten to punch you for bieliving in evolution.

I can dig up the thread and post if you would like. I have once already when you made that false claim. I know it won't matter, you keep repeating it shows me that. But I will be more then happy to show you again.

Because I want to.