Jump to topic:

Recruiting new members

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:18:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
With the increase of some of our best members leaving (or planning to leave). I think we should start trying to recruit intelligent members from other forums or even real life.

I'm aware that some people do do this, but now that this site is in the dumps we should all make an effort to start replacing members, and get this site going again in terms of quality debates, and discussion in the forums.

I joined a Christian forum yesterday, and will likely be joining other forums. Also it would be a good thing to keep in mind what type of members this site is lacking. It shouldn't matter if you agree with their beliefs or not.

This is only one of many problems, but it is a big problem.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:26:29 PM
I will tell philosophy and speech and debate people that I know.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 12:42:26 PM
At 7/8/2011 12:36:20 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Phantom leads the Other Debate Site Invasion to get good members here.

I do? *confused look*
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:16:49 PM
Despite the little time that I have left, I think that I will be trying to do debates in semantics, religion, and history. But, when I have the time [and finish my SAT prep], I will contribute. In addition, should I promote some contests on poetry or prose? It's not a true debate, but nevertheless asks members to consider the better work presented.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:32:51 PM
Why do I fear we will be swamped by a new wave of trolls and idiots? Ever the pessimist me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:34:05 PM
i don't remember you having been such a wanker c_n...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:36:52 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:34:05 PM, el-badgero wrote:
i don't remember you having been such a wanker c_n...

That was one of my least wankish comments, you know how it is... for every dozen new members eleven of them are worthless.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:37:02 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:32:51 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Why do I fear we will be swamped by a new wave of trolls and idiots? Ever the pessimist me.

Gosh, such pessimism isn't going to help us recover. And yes, there's always a new change for a "wave of trolls and idiots" to come in. I just hope you weren't suggest that the members who already posted to the thread were "trolls and idiots"...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:38:43 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:37:02 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Gosh, such pessimism isn't going to help us recover. And yes, there's always a new change for a "wave of trolls and idiots" to come in. I just hope you weren't suggest that the members who already posted to the thread were "trolls and idiots"...

Seriously you are that highly strung?
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:40:40 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:38:43 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I dont know half of you on here, and I can literally tell most of you do not mean anything you say on this site. My two cents.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:43:37 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:40:40 PM, ChristianM wrote:

I dont know half of you on here, and I can literally tell most of you do not mean anything you say on this site. My two cents.

Actually I almost always mean exactly what I say!
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:44:15 PM

He is another izbo10, it's best to ignore him. I need to take my own advice with this one.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:47:36 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:16:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Despite the little time that I have left, I think that I will be trying to do debates in semantics, religion, and history. But, when I have the time [and finish my SAT prep], I will contribute. In addition, should I promote some contests on poetry or prose? It's not a true debate, but nevertheless asks members to consider the better work presented.

What do you mean little time you have left You're not leaving us too.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:49:36 PM

Gosh, such pessimism isn't going to help us recover. And yes, there's always a new change for a "wave of trolls and idiots" to come in. I just hope you weren't suggesting that the members who already posted to the thread were "trolls and idiots"...

Gosh, are you such a git?

[Note: I was just joking to C_N. I also apologize the word I used, 'git' has any negative connotations or shades of meaning than its customary definition. C_N, I was joking about the new wave, and am joking about the git part as well].

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:53:09 PM

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I'm only going to ask the most intelligent people, and via PM. I'm not going to make a thread advertising this site. I'm going to keep my eye out for people who I think would contribute well on here.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 1:55:55 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:44:15 PM, jharry wrote:

He is another izbo10, it's best to ignore him. I need to take my own advice with this one.

I was joking, by the way. If you are that disappointed in me, to call me "another Izbo10", then I guess it's time for me to leave instead. Besides, it doesn't seem that the members really consider my presence here, so it's time for bye-bye.

And to C_B, I can be serious and reasonable. Jharry, if you want, you can stop contacting me and have my account closed if you think I'm another Izbo10...I guess I've wasted my time here on DDO. And to C_B, my response was just another joke. If you feel offended by what I wrote, I sincerely apologize.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:00:20 PM
If you would like me to leave, since you consider me an Izbo10, jharry, I will be gladly to. Besides, my time here on DDO wasn't the best experience I had here.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:01:56 PM
At 7/8/2011 2:00:20 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you would like me to leave, since you consider me an Izbo10, jharry, I will be gladly to. Besides, my time here on DDO wasn't the best experience I had here.

I think he was talking about C_N
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:02:03 PM
At 7/8/2011 1:49:36 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Gosh, such pessimism isn't going to help us recover. And yes, there's always a new change for a "wave of trolls and idiots" to come in. I just hope you weren't suggesting that the members who already posted to the thread were "trolls and idiots"...

I was not.

Gosh, are you such a git?
Only a joke. If you feel offended, I apologized.

[Note: I was just joking to C_N. I also apologize the word I used, 'git' has any negative connotations or shades of meaning than its customary definition. C_N, I was joking about the new wave, and am joking about the git part as well].

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:02:27 PM

Hold I on!!! I was refering to C_N. Sorry. I might have screwed up the quote.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:03:20 PM
At 7/8/2011 2:01:56 PM, phantom wrote:

Maybe I got a bit too sentimental, but it is probably. Sorry for wasting your thread. And my apologies for jharry for falsely accusing him. To C_N, you are a "git".

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:09:32 PM
At 7/8/2011 2:03:20 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/8/2011 2:01:56 PM, phantom wrote:

Maybe I got a bit too sentimental, but it is probably. Sorry for wasting your thread. And my apologies for jharry for falsely accusing him. To C_N, you are a "git".

No problem, it happens. I just didn't want you thinking I said that about you. I reserve those kinds of statments for the lowest of trolls. :)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:22:39 PM
The few people I have referred to DDO have either hated it or simply had no interest despite being articulate intellectuals. I don't think we need to recruit new members. People will find their own way like they have for the past 3 years. If Juggle wants to compensate me; however, I'll go out of my way. If not, no biggie.
President of DDO
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:24:16 PM
At 7/8/2011 2:22:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
The few people I have referred to DDO have either hated it or simply had no interest despite being articulate intellectuals. I don't think we need to recruit new members. People will find their own way like they have for the past 3 years. If Juggle wants to compensate me; however, I'll go out of my way. If not, no biggie.

I agree for the most part. Members have found their way here since the begining.

But if you get the chance I see problem with asking people if they would be interested. If your on another forum or website it doesn't hurt to ask.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2011 2:33:40 PM

I know that they will eventually be replaced, but there's nothing wrong with speeding up the process.

What reasons did they have for hating it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:29:19 AM
The few people I have referred to DDO have either hated it or simply had no interest despite being articulate intellectuals.

Despite? Because of would be more apt.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:45:43 PM
Any ideas on doing any if this?

It's bad form to advertise on other website, just plain trashy. So it's probably not a good idea.

How about going to forums you like. I like fishing and hunting. I could go into forums like this and recruit in pm.

We have a diverse membership here, if enough people got one person to come over it would be a large increase and it would be diversified.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 9:30:08 PM
At 7/16/2011 4:45:43 PM, jharry wrote:
Any ideas on doing any if this?

Visit political of religious forums and PM people who you think would contribute well here.

It's bad form to advertise on other website, just plain trashy. So it's probably not a good idea.

Agreed that's one reason why I said earlier I would do it by PM.

How about going to forums you like. I like fishing and hunting. I could go into forums like this and recruit in pm.

If you want, not exactly what I would do though.

We have a diverse membership here, if enough people got one person to come over it would be a large increase and it would be diversified.

Agreed but allot of people might not stay.