Jump to topic:

What the hell is going on?

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 11:55:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been very busy lately and it appears the website has completely sh*t the bed. There's a mass exodus going on where people voluntarily left, but there's also people who were banned, right?

Who's gone and why? Bring me up to speed.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 12:30:28 PM
Drama queens who are going to retroactively declare that they just did it to get Juggle's attention.

As if they honestly give a sh!t, and why should they?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 12:39:27 PM
Well about 4 or 5 days ago or so the mods started actually taking action and their first one being to ban askbob causing some people to get butt hurt even though some people had left because of his antagonism (not just trolls, good contributes like cliff.stamp). However I think yesterday I saw an improvement in quality of debates and lack of trolls since the mods took action.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 12:59:22 PM
Thanks to all who has brought me up to speed, but can I also get names of who's gone and why?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:01:03 PM
At 7/9/2011 12:59:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Thanks to all who has brought me up to speed, but can I also get names of who's gone and why?

Cliff--problems with adminstration [see Innomen for further detail]
Askbob--banned because of sharing personal information (Brainmaster' photo); his account was closed
Tvellalot, Cody Franklin, Nonentity, and so on have deactivated their accounts as well, and possibly due to the decrease in the quality of the site

And there's more
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:03:47 PM
And there's more:

I see Koopin and J.Kenyon have gone too.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:04:30 PM
At 7/9/2011 12:15:44 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Leaving has become the 'in' thing to do. The fad will pass.:

Do you even go here? o.0
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:05:06 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:03:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
And there's more:

Shame about the former, good news about the latter.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:05:18 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:04:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Do you even go here? o.0

Lasagna is Rob.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:08:57 PM
Cirk is also gone as well...he deactivated his account shortly after posting in a forum.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:10:40 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:05:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Do you even go here? o.0

Lasagna is Rob.:

Yeah, I figured that out right after I posted.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:12:20 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:10:40 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 7/9/2011 1:05:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Do you even go here? o.0

Lasagna is Rob.:

Yeah, I figured that out right after I posted.

I was just pointing that out. But, it's glad to see that one of the more prominent members of this site is still here, even though he's under a different username...

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:14:28 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:05:06 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 7/9/2011 1:03:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
And there's more:

Shame about the former, good news about the latter.:

I got along with both of them. It's strange that when you return, the website melts down (though the writing's been on the wall for quite some time that this was going to happen). Never thought it would actually have come to fruition.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:15:09 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:06:07 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Where did Kenyon say he was leaving? His account is still up.:

Through PM.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 1:17:30 PM
At 7/9/2011 1:08:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Cirk is also gone as well...he deactivated his account shortly after posting in a forum.

My mistake. He might have re-opened his account after he deactivated it....

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:11:30 PM
Koopin, Cliff, and NE left for different reasons than those who left in solidarity with Askbob, and Cirrk came back with the comment that he didn't see the point.

It's all calmed down now, and there is more active moderation going on. Some will probably come back with different names. I speak with Koopin fairly regularly, and I speak to Cliff too. Koopin seems more adamant about staying away.

The drama is ending, and the trolls are mostly gone now. We are getting some decent new members so I am a bit more hopeful about us getting on track than I was a week ago.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:22:48 PM
The drama is ending, and the trolls are mostly gone now. We are getting some decent new members so I am a bit more hopeful about us getting on track than I was a week ago.:

It certainly does seem more peaceful... In which case, I don't think I'll be falling on my sword to prove a point to Juggle any time soon.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:26:22 PM
At 7/9/2011 2:11:30 PM, innomen wrote:
Koopin, Cliff, and NE left for different reasons than those who left in solidarity with Askbob, and Cirrk came back with the comment that he didn't see the point.

It's all calmed down now, and there is more active moderation going on. Some will probably come back with different names. I speak with Koopin fairly regularly, and I speak to Cliff too. Koopin seems more adamant about staying away.

The drama is ending, and the trolls are mostly gone now. We are getting some decent new members so I am a bit more hopeful about us getting on track than I was a week ago.

I would agree the site has improved since the moderators have become more active. It's nice you still talk to Koopin and Cliff. When you say Koopin seems more adamant about staying away does that mean that Cliff might possibly consider coming back?
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:38:26 PM
I would agree the site has improved since the moderators have become more active. It's nice you still talk to Koopin and Cliff. When you say Koopin seems more adamant about staying away does that mean that Cliff might possibly consider coming back?:

The change is palpable, and it's very enjoyable. That said, I think I recall Cliff saying something to the effect of it only being half of the problem. Based on his writings, I suspect he relaized what so many people on forums ultimately discover -- that inordinate amounts of time are spent on these things; time that could be spent with friends/family/more important things.

He may feel like he's wasting precious time regardless of how many trolls there are. If that's the case, I can't really blame him.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:41:28 PM
At 7/9/2011 2:26:22 PM, BennyW wrote:

I would agree the site has improved since the moderators have become more active. It's nice you still talk to Koopin and Cliff. When you say Koopin seems more adamant about staying away does that mean that Cliff might possibly consider coming back?

I'm working on Cliff. He has certain professional issues with the site, where his place of work identified DDO as a place of hate speech. Must be a very PC place he works.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 2:46:30 PM
I'm working on Cliff. He has certain professional issues with the site, where his place of work identified DDO as a place of hate speech. Must be a very PC place he works.:

Of course, he's a college professor. Colleges are PC factories. They care more about hurt feelings than they do about protecting free speech. A sad state of affairs, really.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:04:28 PM
At 7/9/2011 12:30:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Drama queens who are going to retroactively declare that they just did it to get Juggle's attention.

They already preemptively declared that.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Goober
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:09:00 PM

This is an improvement ? It seems like a graveyard around here.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:22:33 PM
At 7/9/2011 3:09:00 PM, Goober wrote:

Hang around goober, it is better today then yesterday. It will be better tomorrow then it was today.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:23:00 PM
At 7/9/2011 3:04:28 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/9/2011 12:30:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

They already preemptively declared that.

That's not really the case though. Juggle wasn't happy to see them go, but trust me, they weren't in a panic over it. They pay attention to reports, but they don't pay attention to the content of these threads, and they don't know most of the individuals who are involved in posting.

The changes they are making will probably minimize the drama, if that's what we want.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:35:58 PM
At 7/9/2011 2:41:28 PM, innomen wrote:

I'm working on Cliff. He has certain professional issues with the site, where his place of work identified DDO as a place of hate speech. Must be a very PC place he works.

He works at a college and although they are supposed to be places of free speech they often are not truly, plus I am not as familiar with Canadian law. Besides, if he is using it at home and not at work why should it be a problem?
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 3:37:41 PM
At 7/9/2011 3:09:00 PM, Goober wrote:

The debates are more intelligent and the trolls have been removed for the time being. It is true many people left but it can be rebuilt if we focus on good debates, I personally think we should focus much more on the debates and less on the forums as it is the forums that cause all the drama.