Jump to topic:

Debate voting

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:32:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems to me the majority in the religion section of this group don't get that in a debate, the audience is not expected to just sit there and say well his opponent didn't address that point it must be good. The Audience should also analyze the argument for themselves and see if it is a good argument, if not then they shouldn't be voting for it. It is completely unreasonable to expect both parties to place their own arguments and refute every poor argument a christian throws out.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:39:37 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:32:40 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It seems to me the majority in the religion section of this group don't get that in a debate, the audience is not expected to just sit there and say well his opponent didn't address that point it must be good.
It seems someone is misrepresenting his own voting reason...Especially when you argued that Daley's argument was disrespectful in defending 'eternal punishment' but failed to provide why the opposing side's argument was so convincing.

The Audience should also analyze the argument for themselves and see if it is a good argument, if not then they shouldn't be voting for it.
This advice, ironically, also applies to you. You're suggest that we analyze an argument and see for ourselves if it's good. But there's no mention of personal opinion or bias and bigotry (a favorite word of mine) here that was your voting reason. So, you basically just violated your own imperative for others. Sad.
It is completely unreasonable to expect both parties to place their own arguments and refute every poor argument a christian throws out.
'Poor' is a bit suggestive, especially for a member who votes on personal opinion...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:40:35 PM
its called burden of proof look it up.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:41:31 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:40:35 PM, izbo10 wrote:
its called burden of proof idiot look it up.

It's called objectivity, Bozo. And there's a clause between idiot and 'look it up', big man. What a refutation indeed.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:43:39 PM
there are positions that start out with more burden then others. For instance Unicorns exist vs they do not exist. The person who says they do not exist could merely say there is no reason to believe they exist and be winning, the other person must then present a lot of evidence that demonstrates the ridiculous notion true, in this debate daiey didnt even get off the ground.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:44:41 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:43:39 PM, izbo10 wrote:
there are positions that start out with more burden then others. For instance Unicorns exist vs they do not exist. The person who says they do not exist could merely say there is no reason to believe they exist and be winning, the other person must then present a lot of evidence that demonstrates the ridiculous notion true, in this debate daiey didnt even get off the ground.

Argumentum ad ignoratium is written all over this comment. That's all I have to say.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:49:50 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:44:41 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Argumentum ad ignoratium is written all over this comment. That's all I have to say.
Marinacons exist prove me wrong, oh thats right jackass burden of proof is on me.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:51:24 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:49:50 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Marinacons exist prove me wrong, oh thats right jackass burden of proof is on me.

Please do. The burden of proof is at least on you to provide evidence that they exist. And thank you for calling me a "jackass", you high-strung git. (That's British slang; I'll research more if you want a big insult war...Heh, heh, heh)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:52:26 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:50:34 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Guys, please stop feeding him.

Izbo10 has this charm. On a website where knowledge is prevalent, one cannot but feel the prospect of teaching a fool some lessons...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:53:09 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:52:04 PM, Denote wrote:

I have become Izbo10's nemesis. And I'm atheist, despite his accusations.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:53:58 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:51:24 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Please do. The burden of proof is at least on you to provide evidence that they exist. And thank you for calling me a "jackass", you high-strung git. (That's British slang; I'll research more if you want a big insult war...Heh, heh, heh)

Yes as the burden of proof is on daley to prove anyone deserves eternal punishment he did not, he lost. Simple. Summed up in my simple voting reasons.

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:54:59 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:53:09 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

lol says the guy who thinks god is more then a man made concept. Huh that kinda defeats the whole idea of you being an atheist.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:55:41 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:53:58 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Yes as the burden of proof is on daley to prove anyone deserves eternal punishment he did not, he lost. Simple. Summed up in my simple voting reasons.

Some summation. Let's see your voting reasons:

"Conduct, defending eternal holocaust loses that right away, Pro made clear good points, con tried to dance around."

This is the main point of contention, and this has nothing to do with burden of proof or its accomplishment. You mind explaining how this deals with burden of proof?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:56:33 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:54:59 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 7/10/2011 1:53:09 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

lol says the guy who thinks god is more then a man made concept. Huh that kinda defeats the whole idea of you being an atheist.

lols says the 'atheist' who just attacks the Christian community. That alone defeats the purpose of targeting religion in general, and yet you haven't even gone on a crusade to attack the other religious communities or members...

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 1:58:54 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:55:41 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

"Conduct, defending eternal holocaust loses that right away, Pro made clear good points, con tried to dance around."

This is the main point of contention, and this has nothing to do with burden of proof or its accomplishment. You mind explaining how this deals with burden of proof?

He had the burden to show it was acceptable instead his arguments were dances that wouldn't be bought for any other circumstance then defending ones assinine religious beliefs.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 2:01:09 PM
At 7/10/2011 1:58:54 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 7/10/2011 1:55:41 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

He had the burden to show it was acceptable instead his arguments were dances that wouldn't be bought for any other circumstance then defending ones assinine religious beliefs.

The burden doesn't connect with the conduct. Second try, and one more fail and you're out. Plus, you spelled asinine wrong. What a pity.

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 2:29:49 PM
Izbo, no one cares about your opinions. You clearly do not understand debating.

Will the two of you stop clogging the comment sections with your personal feud on everyone else's debates, and doing the same in the forums. It was cute at first but is really old now. If you guys want to argue then do it on your own profiles or send each other messages. No one else wants to hear it.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 3:04:18 PM
At 7/10/2011 2:29:49 PM, Double_R wrote:
Izbo, no one cares about your opinions. You clearly do not understand debating.

Will the two of you stop clogging the comment sections with your personal feud on everyone else's debates, and doing the same in the forums. It was cute at first but is really old now. If you guys want to argue then do it on your own profiles or send each other messages. No one else wants to hear it.

It's not a personal feud, and you might want to discuss with this with me on my profile or message. Thanks for your comments.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:03:03 PM

Agree.

MIG it's getting quite annoying.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:07:45 PM
At 7/10/2011 5:03:03 PM, phantom wrote:

Agree.

I understand. But I'll stop if he stops. I usually can't stand his comments, to the point that I engage in these arguments--which are pretty much counterproductive. And by the way, it is this debate.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:16:15 PM

Agree.

Then ban Bozo, or at least ban me. You know, pull an Askbob on MIG.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:17:23 PM
At 7/10/2011 5:07:45 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Agree.

I understand. But I'll stop if he stops. I usually can't stand his comments, to the point that I engage in these arguments--which are pretty much counterproductive. And by the way, it is this debate.

Feed the troll until he stops eating? Stop feeding him. That's a better plan.

Ignore him and he'll eventually stop.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:18:09 PM
At 7/10/2011 5:17:23 PM, phantom wrote:

Agree.

Great plan.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:25:34 PM

Agree.

Not as if I haven't tried that in the past, phantom.
There are more who need to follow your plan as well.

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:26:57 PM
At 7/10/2011 5:25:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Agree.

Then be the first.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 5:28:51 PM
At 7/10/2011 5:26:57 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 7/10/2011 5:25:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Agree.

Then be the first.

There are more. Technically, there have been people, including yourself, who have followed phantom's plan. But once I get the steam off my back, I'll stop.