Debate with South Korea

syme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 12:48:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm an English teacher in South Korea and I hold a debate class every Saturday. It's a small group of 6 kids but their English is great and I'd like to give them a crack at taking on some native speakers.

Problem is my time frame. We hold the class on Saturdays from 5:30 - 7:30 Korean time (8hrs + GMT)

Would anyone, or indeed any other teachers out there on this site like to get something going where we could have a debate once a month? The guys are 15-17 years old and will debate anything you want to.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to better facilitate this or any pointers from the veterans of this site.

Thank you.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 3:18:40 PM
At 7/11/2011 12:48:55 PM, syme wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm an English teacher in South Korea and I hold a debate class every Saturday. It's a small group of 6 kids but their English is great and I'd like to give them a crack at taking on some native speakers.

Problem is my time frame. We hold the class on Saturdays from 5:30 - 7:30 Korean time (8hrs + GMT)

Would anyone, or indeed any other teachers out there on this site like to get something going where we could have a debate once a month? The guys are 15-17 years old and will debate anything you want to.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to better facilitate this or any pointers from the veterans of this site.

Thank you.

I sent you a PM, we'd love to organize something like that.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2011 5:05:03 PM
I sent you a PM, we'd love to organize something like that.:

Yes, we would. I'm in.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 1:47:25 AM
I had to use a Korean website that contained nuclear engineering data for my nuclear engineering class. I wasn't sure which part of Korea it was from. for the longest time I thought it was North korea. Then I realized it was from South Korea.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 2:15:59 AM
At 7/12/2011 1:47:25 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I had to use a Korean website that contained nuclear engineering data for my nuclear engineering class. I wasn't sure which part of Korea it was from. for the longest time I thought it was North korea. Then I realized it was from South Korea.

North Korea doesnt have internet silly!
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:41:36 AM
Looks like a good idea! Let us hope it works out ...
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
syme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:50:19 AM
Excellent news and thank you for all your comments!

So where do we start then? I'll start by answering your posts:

innomen-thanks for the PM. I haven't replied yet but I will.

jharry-I was wondering about this. I have made my profile and was just going to let them use my ID as a group for debating. Should they all make individual profiles? the thing is I'm looking to work as a group and not individually. You guys could take them on on your own, but I want them to work collectively. I could get them to create a profile with information up front letting debaters know they are going up against a group...?

paradigm lost - glad to have you aboard sir.

french moose - indeed....anything at all. As it stands, I'd like to keep it to the middle school debate program standards and we have been practicing parliamentary style debating but I would be a fool to keep my blinkers on. I'm open to suggestions.

lasagne - i hope it works too

GMDebater - great!

nerdykiller - can you speak Korean? It would be very interesting if you could because I'd like to see them debate in their mother tongue and get feedback on how a native speaker thought they did. See what skills a fresh pair of eyes thinks they need.

FREEDO - thanks!

baggins - me too.

well that's almost everyone. I hope this is clear and you guys have a better idea where I'm coming from. As a mock deadline I'd like to have something in the works for Saturday July 30th.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 9:11:47 AM
At 7/12/2011 3:50:19 AM, syme wrote:
Excellent news and thank you for all

jharry-I was wondering about this. I have made my profile and was just going to let them use my ID as a group for debating. Should they all make individual profiles? the thing is I'm looking to work as a group and not individually. You guys could take them on on your own, but I want them to work collectively. I could get them to create a profile with information up front letting debaters know they are going up against a group...?

I don't think it will be a problem. I was just curious. Group debate sounds interesting.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 9:30:26 AM
I PMed her back asking about some of the specifics of how they would like to see it happen, and if we would want multiple debates going on at once.

We may need to have some flexibility in our time in that we can work the debate during their time zone hours and it would be a quick interval debate.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 1:10:08 PM
At 7/12/2011 3:50:19 AM, syme wrote:
Excellent news and thank you for all your comments!

So where do we start then? I'll start by answering your posts:

innomen-thanks for the PM. I haven't replied yet but I will.

This is where the mods come in with an update for team debates! But in all seriousness if they want to work collaboratively then they should use syme's account. But if they want to do some debating on their own time they should create their own.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 2:40:24 PM
I'll need to know who can do this, and who wants to participate in organizing it.

Currently they are looking for Debates with 5 minutes between arguments (a bit negotiable) with three rounds.

The time of the debate will most likely be on July 30th, so we will need a hard commitment. I don't know their time yet.

The possible resolution is "school should be mandatory", not sure which side they would like to take, also this resolution is negotiable.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:29:09 PM
At 7/12/2011 2:40:24 PM, innomen wrote:
I'll need to know who can do this, and who wants to participate in organizing it.

Currently they are looking for Debates with 5 minutes between arguments (a bit negotiable) with three rounds.

Ugh, that's a bit too quick for me.

The time of the debate will most likely be on July 30th, so we will need a hard commitment. I don't know their time yet.

The possible resolution is "school should be mandatory", not sure which side they would like to take, also this resolution is negotiable.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:32:54 PM
At 7/12/2011 3:29:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Ugh, that's a bit too quick for me.

I figured it was way quick for what we are used to here, but i also considered that many of the people here do live debates where this is just the way it is. Mirza has done some quick fire debates here, and i am sure others have too.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:55:57 PM
I am pretty sure I can do the 30th. I will be up at various odd hours as well. I'm not sure if I should be corrupting children with my extreme politics though... =P
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:41:36 PM

Depends on the time of day.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 5:03:41 PM
At 7/12/2011 4:41:36 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Depends on the time of day.

Yeah, i don't know the time difference in South Korea nor what time of the day they want to do it, but they are looking to set aside 6 hours!?! Could be a tournament if we wanted it to be.
syme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 3:55:14 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for your comments.

Lasagne, maybe we will meet another time.

Thaddeus, corrupt politics? This is South Korea! It would take a lot to shock them.hehe

The time zone in South Korea is GMT+8. I'm looking to start the debate formally at 10am GMT on Saturday 30th......that is 6pm in South Korea and...well I'm guessing you are mostly North Americans so it could be quite a late one depending which coast you are on.

Perhaps next time we could owe you one and come in early morning on this end for our 2nd debate.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 3:59:31 AM
At 7/13/2011 3:55:14 AM, syme wrote:
Hi everyone and thanks for your comments.

Lasagne, maybe we will meet another time.

Thaddeus, corrupt politics? This is South Korea! It would take a lot to shock them.hehe

The time zone in South Korea is GMT+8. I'm looking to start the debate formally at 10am GMT on Saturday 30th......that is 6pm in South Korea and...well I'm guessing you are mostly North Americans so it could be quite a late one depending which coast you are on.

Perhaps next time we could owe you one and come in early morning on this end for our 2nd debate.

That's 6AM my time, EST. Thad would be a good candidate because he is in the UK, and could take a moment out of his day from his inter-galactic domination to participate in this debate.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 11:56:59 PM
I can speak Korean okay, but its been 6 years ago so...
I can try, but if I am gonna do that I am going to talk on youtube and posted it.
If you truly want me to write then I will do my best. :D
What are the topics???
ex.
Hilter was a good leader?? lol
Abortion
economy
something fun
poems
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 12:41:18 AM

I've done that before. It was rather difficult, but still manageable.
I'm not sure if I can commit to that date yet; do you know a time?
That's a fine topic.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light