Total Posts:794|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

New Members Welcome Thread II

Add Post
Forum Moderator

7/12/2011 3:55:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We'd like to welcome new members to DDO, and for you we have a special video prepared for you to help you find your way around:

We would also like it very much for you to introduce yourself and let us know how you found us.

Tell us what topics you enjoy to discuss so we can better know which debates you would like to be challenged with, and better know you.

If you are new to debating please let us know that too, so that we can help you become better at doing what we do here.

Soon there will be a tutorial thread that can help you better know the rules and customs of debate. When you aren't debating please be a part of our little community and participate in the forums.

-DDO Community.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:05:39 PM
To Old Members:

Do not let this thread become crowded with discussion and arguments like in the last one. This is for welcoming and helping out new members. Thank you.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:30:13 PM
the man is a genius.
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:35:22 PM
Somehow Koopin has harnessed the power of KFC and took over the site to become Forum Moderator.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 4:38:24 PM
At 7/12/2011 4:05:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:
To Old Members:

Do not let this thread become crowded with discussion and arguments like in the last one. This is for welcoming and helping out new members. Thank you.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:14:49 PM
At 7/13/2011 8:59:03 PM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:
I am a new member. What does ddo mean by "KFC". To me it means, "Kentucky Fried Chicken".

Welcome to DDO! That's something Koopin started, and he does mean Kentucky Fried Chicken. He loves KFC.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:14:01 PM
At 7/13/2011 8:59:03 PM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:
I am a new member. What does ddo mean by "KFC". To me it means, "Kentucky Fried Chicken".

You're probably mostly referring to all the sigs. It's in respect for koopin leaving the site.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Curt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:44:26 PM
Well, my name is Curt, obviously. I like to discuss religion and my specialty is debating religion.
I am an Atheist, but I like to be logical. I back up my assertions and claims with evidence from the scriptures.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:54:07 PM
At 7/15/2011 5:44:26 PM, Curt wrote:
Well, my name is Curt, obviously. I like to discuss religion and my specialty is debating religion.
I am an Atheist, but I like to be logical. I back up my assertions and claims with evidence from the scriptures.

welcome to the forums.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:56:08 PM

Hello Curt, and welcome to DDO!
Speculosity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 11:28:33 AM
Hey y'all, name's Neville. I discovered this site recently as I googled how to become a better debater. I'm in college and am trying to become a future criminal lawyer. I'm not that confident in my debating skills and want to make myself a stronger competitor. I love debating topics that interest me. I don't really like politics, it bores me. I am interested in debating things like if someone did something or not, or anime, or who would win in a fight, etc. Hope I have fun on this website.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:03:04 PM
At 7/16/2011 11:28:33 AM, Speculosity wrote:
Hey y'all, name's Neville. I discovered this site recently as I googled how to become a better debater. I'm in college and am trying to become a future criminal lawyer. I'm not that confident in my debating skills and want to make myself a stronger competitor. I love debating topics that interest me. I don't really like politics, it bores me. I am interested in debating things like if someone did something or not, or anime, or who would win in a fight, etc. Hope I have fun on this website.

Welcome. I hope you have fun here too. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hope to see one of your debates soon.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:10:19 PM

GMdebater I'm guessing.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
fubar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 8:18:57 PM
Erm, Hi!
I'm fubar, err..
I joined this site because it seems like it has a pretty good system for debates. There is a good mix of serious and fun debates and I can see myself participating in both.
I'm interested in all topics, but I suppose my best topic is computer science, since that's what I've studied and the field I currently work in.
I'm Agnostic, leaning more towards Atheism than Theism...
I have pretty strong libertarian values in terms of politics.
I've studied some philosophy, but based on some of the complicated discussions and debates I've seen, I'm definitely amateur at best.

So yeah, lets get it started.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:16:42 PM
At 7/21/2011 8:18:57 PM, fubar wrote:
Erm, Hi!
I'm fubar, err..
I joined this site because it seems like it has a pretty good system for debates. There is a good mix of serious and fun debates and I can see myself participating in both.
I'm interested in all topics, but I suppose my best topic is computer science, since that's what I've studied and the field I currently work in.
I've studied some philosophy, but based on some of the complicated discussions and debates I've seen, I'm definitely amateur at best.

welcome aboard, the only computer debates we really have are Mac vs PC, but it'll be nice to see some more.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:24:49 PM
At 7/21/2011 8:18:57 PM, fubar wrote:
Erm, Hi!
I'm fubar, err..

Welcome. Like your name, fubar.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Libertaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:01:45 PM
Hello my name is Libertaire. I find myself extremely libertarian on economic and social issues. I could possibly even see myself as an anarchist though certain problems inherent in anarchism have made me a strict minarchist. I've never seen a website with a setup on debates like yours. I hope to have fun here and learn from what members of this site have to offer.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:05:12 PM
At 7/22/2011 10:01:45 PM, Libertaire wrote:
Hello my name is Libertaire. I find myself extremely libertarian on economic and social issues. I could possibly even see myself as an anarchist though certain problems inherent in anarchism have made me a strict minarchist. I've never seen a website with a setup on debates like yours. I hope to have fun here and learn from what members of this site have to offer.

Welcome to DDO! I've learned a lot here, and I'm sure you will, too. If you have any questions, fell free to ask!
Libertaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:10:20 PM
At 7/22/2011 10:05:12 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 7/22/2011 10:01:45 PM, Libertaire wrote:

Welcome to DDO! I've learned a lot here, and I'm sure you will, too. If you have any questions, fell free to ask!

Thanks. I'll definitely ask if I have questions though this site seems pretty self explanatory.
Joy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 8:13:59 PM
I am a new member. I always stumble on this site while doing research. I would type in a resolution word for word and lead me to a debate here. So since it is summer, I am itching to debate since season isn't in yet.
I was actually wondering if there is a way to locate debates that are looking for challengers.
Thanks I am excited to be on the cite :)
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 8:23:48 PM
At 7/23/2011 8:13:59 PM, Joy wrote:
I am a new member. I always stumble on this site while doing research. I would type in a resolution word for word and lead me to a debate here. So since it is summer, I am itching to debate since season isn't in yet.
I was actually wondering if there is a way to locate debates that are looking for challengers.

Welcome to DDO! If you click on the little triangle next to "Debates", then click "Challenge Period", you can find the debates that need challengers. There aren't any there right now, but you can either start one and wait for a challenger or challenge someone to a debate.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 5:28:20 PM
At 7/25/2011 5:08:04 PM, MuKen wrote:
Heyo, new to the site. Greatly enjoyed the few debates I've had so far.

Welcome.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:20:43 PM
At 7/25/2011 5:08:04 PM, MuKen wrote:
Heyo, new to the site. Greatly enjoyed the few debates I've had so far.

Welcome! You seem like a good debater. You'll make a good addition to the site. I encourage you to post in the forums and get to know the other active users.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 1:05:12 AM
At 7/23/2011 8:13:59 PM, Joy wrote:

thats why I came here! Dont worry DDO provides plenty of debate.
Gypsy-magick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:52:36 PM
I am new to DDO as well and posted my first debate (still waiting) I would like to accept other debates yet so far haven't been able to locate any,I'd be happy for any tips.
Thanks in advance.
Gypsy