Jump to topic:

Goodbye, DDO

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:43:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd rather not leave DDO on a sour note because, truth be told, I've really enjoyed most of time here, so I'm going to to take a break from trolling jharry to say goodbye. I'll keep this brief since a longer departure letter co-authored and signed by several other members will be up shortly.

In the two years I've been here, I've learned a lot from some very intelligent and interesting people. My perspectives have changed on so many different things, it's really hard to believe I used to see the world the way I did. DDO has played a huge part in my personal development. To everyone who has made positive contributions to the community over the last few years, thank you. I'll still be in contact with many of you via Facebook and email.

Cheers,
J.Kenyon
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:44:27 PM
Your bored expression and raging neckbeard will forever be in our hearts.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:46:29 PM
At 7/12/2011 10:44:47 PM, GMDebater wrote:
I'm also leavimg soon. if you want a link to my site, pm me!

You were here for only a month.

No one loves you.

Also, you're a godless, Stalin worshiping commie.

Better red than dead!

*salutes the American flag*
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:47:18 PM
I'm just kidding, don't leave. I need your organs.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:49:57 PM
J. Kenyon, I sent you a friend request for so long. But now that you're gone, we can no longer to be friends...(weeps and sheds tears for hours)

You were a great member on this site, and up to the point when you deactivated your account, you had won all of your debates and contributed to the quality of this site.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:52:31 PM
Kenyon has once and for all revealed himself to be Cliff.Stamp

The wool has been over all of your eyes all along!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:52:53 PM
Or is he interrogator?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 10:53:08 PM
Or am I badger?

The world may never know.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 11:35:35 PM
Why do they always deactivate their accounts? One can leave or take a break without closing one's account.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 11:48:39 PM
At 7/12/2011 10:44:27 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Your bored expression and raging neckbeard will forever be in our hearts.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 2:41:31 AM
It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me
All you will see is a girl you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

So I chose freedom
Running around, trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it to

Don't cry for me DDO
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired

They are illusions
They are not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me

Don't cry for me DDO
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 2:44:36 AM
At 7/12/2011 11:35:35 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Why do they always deactivate their accounts? One can leave or take a break without closing one's account.

I thought the same thing.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 2:52:11 AM
At 7/13/2011 2:44:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Seriously! Just don't sign on if you don't want to...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 3:05:32 AM
At 7/13/2011 2:52:11 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/13/2011 2:44:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Seriously! Just don't sign on if you don't want to...

They're just trying to make a dramatic exit, and to help illustrate a point. I don't fully get that point, nor see how the drama serves a purpose, other than a little ego feeding.

I like Kenyon, and he's helped me better debate, and his leaving will be a loss, but i really am not the sort of person to sit around wringing my hands worrying that people are leaving the site. The site will continue, people will come and go, and the site will ebb and flow with the membership. The complexion of the site may change, and there will be change in all aspects of the site, whether it's good or bad is irrelevant, it simply is the way it is. There will be a period of lull and it will eventually pick up, and we'll probably go through something like this again and again.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 5:44:16 AM
J.Kenyon refused to ever engage in an intelligent conversation or debate with me, but he did with others so the site will poorer for his absence.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 6:44:51 AM
This stinks - there are some quality members leaving. :-(

I'm doing my best to bring people (good debaters) to this site, but I'm not sure how effective I'll be...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:35:37 AM
At 7/13/2011 9:17:59 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I've had enough; if one more member decides to leave DDO I'm committing suicide.

Ha! We all know you'd be back in three days.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:44:21 AM
Although I do not want to say this, but I'm intrigued why some people are saying that this is adding to the drama that's occurring on DDO.

Can anyone explain this to me?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:00:15 AM
At 7/13/2011 9:44:21 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Although I do not want to say this, but I'm intrigued why some people are saying that this is adding to the drama that's occurring on DDO.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Many people came to the site and started trolling (spamming, creating worthless debates, etc.). This made some valued members leave the site. And a major group started acting with high hostility toward anyone who disagreed with what they preached, so disputes occurred.

With many of them leaving, the site seems to be better off. It has improved a lot since last week. Maybe we should not even think of the old problems anymore, just move on. Things are going fine.

And we still have tons of good members left. Don't be fooled by those who say only few intelligent people are left. There are many.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:58:45 AM
At 7/13/2011 9:17:59 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I've had enough; if one more member decides to leave DDO I'm committing suicide.

At 7/12/2011 10:43:32 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I'd rather not leave DDO on a sour note because, truth be told, I've really enjoyed most of time here, so I'm going to to take a break from trolling jharry to say goodbye. I'll keep this brief since a longer departure letter co-authored and signed by several other members will be up shortly.

You might as well get out the rope now.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:50:09 AM
J.Kenyon was one of the best debaters on the website and a productive member to the website. He will be missed. He sometimes came off as an @ss, but his good way outdid the bad.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 12:54:19 PM
At 7/12/2011 10:49:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
J. Kenyon, I sent you a friend request for so long. But now that you're gone, we can no longer to be friends...(weeps and sheds tears for hours)

You were a great member on this site, and up to the point when you deactivated your account, you had won all of your debates and contributed to the quality of this site.

Same. I guess he's selective on who is listed under friends...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 1:08:59 PM
At 7/13/2011 12:54:19 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/12/2011 10:49:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Same. I guess he's selective on who is listed under friends...

I would assume that as well...

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 9:47:37 PM
Although we have somewhat contrary beliefs, I've always enjoyed reading what Jkenyon wrote. I'll miss his presence here.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 12:21:33 AM

Yea, and... uh... what he said.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 5:33:12 AM
@ OP

Your decision to leave is indeed unfortunate. You were a good debater and will surely be missed. The purpose is still not clear to me, but I am sure it can't be pointless.

A few questions. Is it a permanent decision or just for time being. Would you be debating on some other place or just wait for things to improve or deteriorate over here before coming back. Any parameter on which you will base your decision?

And just a niggling doubt I had for some time. Is it some kind of Ayn Rand type strike?
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.