Jump to topic:

Conventions:Comments

marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 12:37:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are the conventions observed in posting comments?
If one is posting comments to somebody elses debate, is it ok to make an argument?
is it ok to disprove an argument by showing incorrect data by arguee or by any other method?
Or is it best if you do it after the challenge period is over?

Btw, are there group discussions where multiple people can participate in debating the same topic?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 12:48:26 PM
At 7/14/2011 12:37:26 PM, marcuscato wrote:
If one is posting comments to somebody elses debate, is it ok to make an argument?
is it ok to disprove an argument by showing incorrect data by arguee or by any other method?

Btw, are there group discussions where multiple people can participate in debating the same topic?

All of this happens, but in my oppinion it's poor etiquette, and kind of scummy to start posting arguments in the comments of a debate or doing what you described.

Multiple people participating on the same topic probably would just be done in the forums. There have been tournaments where teams have been set up, and there's nothing to stop teams from forming.

By the way, welcome.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:24:39 PM
At 7/14/2011 12:48:26 PM, innomen wrote:

All of this happens, but in my oppinion it's poor etiquette, and kind of scummy to start posting arguments in the comments of a debate or doing what you described.

Multiple people participating on the same topic probably would just be done in the forums. There have been tournaments where teams have been set up, and there's nothing to stop teams from forming.

By the way, welcome.

I agree with Innomen. It's not fair to debate participants if there are arguments going on in the comment section while the debate is going on. By doing so you may unintentionally help one side. I would let them debate, then you can challenge whoever you disagree with to another debate. Or like Innomen said, you can start a thread in the forums about the subject, there's usually someone who will argue with you, no matter what the subject.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:28:45 PM
At 7/14/2011 1:24:39 PM, medic0506 wrote:

By the way, welcome.

I agree with Innomen. It's not fair to debate participants if there are arguments going on in the comment section while the debate is going on. By doing so you may unintentionally help one side. I would let them debate, then you can challenge whoever you disagree with to another debate. Or like Innomen said, you can start a thread in the forums about the subject, there's usually someone who will argue with you, no matter what the subject.

Technically, in my view, the comments page serves explicably as the place where members comment and voice their opinions on the debate, arguments presented there, and so on. It is not the place where participants argue with each other. In fact, as medic stated, that not only helps certain parties of the debate, but detracts, especially to readers, from the debate itself.

Here's an example of a comments page that I hope you will avoid. The participants, givemeliberty, Lauretta_Riddle, Cliff, Keytar, Josh, and myself (though I commented sparsely, in comparison to the others), did a great disservice by bickering among themselves: http://www.debate.org... The participant givemeliberty in particular did not resolve the argument, even when I asked him to stop, but continued--with his accusations of lying and pleas of resigning. The conduct in the discussion in this debate is best to be avoided...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:30:50 PM

Yea its a tactic I've seen quite a few employ, they have lost the debate but they post insults and sound bytes in the comments section to sway the vote.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:32:36 PM
At 7/14/2011 1:30:50 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yea its a tactic I've seen quite a few employ, they have lost the debate but they post insults and sound bytes in the comments section to sway the vote.

The link that I posted demonstrates this. Especially certain members tend to bicker and even start accusing others (i.e. Givemeliberty, and his whole "you lie, so you must resign" statement") and arguining. I remember that I did that in my own first debates, but then since I have accepted my defeat more willingly.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 1:07:19 AM
Who cares.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.