Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Debate Training Club Sign-Ups

darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:21:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let's see If the ball can get rolling on this. A lot of members can come to debate.org and are new to debating. Many of them find that they are outmatched when more experienced members defeat them, and as a result get too discouraged and leave. The Debate Training Club is designed to mitigate these effects. Instead of new members leaving, they can instead learn debating techniques, and logic in order to improve. If anybody wants to sign up to be a teacher or a student, you are encouraged to sign up. Ideally It would be nice for each new member to have a mentor. However, let's see how this plays out and we can work from there. Forum topics will be created that are a basic introduction to debating. For example, a lesson on logical fallacies would be one a useful lesson.

Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2.
3.
4.
5.

Students:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Curt
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:42:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 3:21:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Let's see If the ball can get rolling on this. A lot of members can come to debate.org and are new to debating. Many of them find that they are outmatched when more experienced members defeat them, and as a result get too discouraged and leave. The Debate Training Club is designed to mitigate these effects. Instead of new members leaving, they can instead learn debating techniques, and logic in order to improve. If anybody wants to sign up to be a teacher or a student, you are encouraged to sign up. Ideally It would be nice for each new member to have a mentor. However, let's see how this plays out and we can work from there. Forum topics will be created that are a basic introduction to debating. For example, a lesson on logical fallacies would be one a useful lesson.

Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2.
3.
4.
5.

Students:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Count me in as student 1. I just joined not too long ago. I'm really new so I do not know how well this is going to go.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:47:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 3:42:15 PM, Curt wrote:
At 7/15/2011 3:21:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Let's see If the ball can get rolling on this. A lot of members can come to debate.org and are new to debating. Many of them find that they are outmatched when more experienced members defeat them, and as a result get too discouraged and leave. The Debate Training Club is designed to mitigate these effects. Instead of new members leaving, they can instead learn debating techniques, and logic in order to improve. If anybody wants to sign up to be a teacher or a student, you are encouraged to sign up. Ideally It would be nice for each new member to have a mentor. However, let's see how this plays out and we can work from there. Forum topics will be created that are a basic introduction to debating. For example, a lesson on logical fallacies would be one a useful lesson.

Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2.
3.
4.
5.

Students:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Count me in as student 1. I just joined not too long ago. I'm really new so I do not know how well this is going to go.

Welcome! I see you started your first debate already.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:47:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 3:21:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Let's see If the ball can get rolling on this. A lot of members can come to debate.org and are new to debating. Many of them find that they are outmatched when more experienced members defeat them, and as a result get too discouraged and leave. The Debate Training Club is designed to mitigate these effects. Instead of new members leaving, they can instead learn debating techniques, and logic in order to improve. If anybody wants to sign up to be a teacher or a student, you are encouraged to sign up. Ideally It would be nice for each new member to have a mentor. However, let's see how this plays out and we can work from there. Forum topics will be created that are a basic introduction to debating. For example, a lesson on logical fallacies would be one a useful lesson.

Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3.
4.
5.

Students:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

I'll help as a treacher, though I should say that when it comes to LD and formated debate, I don't know a whole lot.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:00:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3.
4.
5.

This is a great idea. I don't have much experience but I've won my last 9 straight and think I have gotten pretty good. Plus I love to help out others. We need more students though. Most of the new members probably don't spend much time on the forums. Might be a good idea to send out a few invites. If theres anything I can do let me know.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:05:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mentors/Teachers:
1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4.
5.

I suck eggs when it comes to debating.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:15:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 8:12:12 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4. Rockylightning
5. Man is good.

Always room to learn.

I have much to improve in my debates.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:21:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Learn-O-Tron

1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4. Rockylightning
5. Man is good.
6. Meatros
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:26:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 8:21:31 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Learn-O-Tron

1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4. Rockylightning
5. Man is good.
6. Meatros
7. Logic_on_rails

I don't mean to crowd the list of students, yet I believe I could do well with improving a bit.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 9:01:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 8:26:17 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
At 7/15/2011 8:21:31 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Learn-O-Tron

1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5. Freeman

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4. Rockylightning
5. Man is good.
6. Meatros
7. Logic_on_rails

Sure, I'll try to help. I'm not sure when this is supposed to happen, so I'll just quickly throw out some tips.

1. Read, a lot. If you're not good at reading, you won't be good at debating. Read as many books as you can on as many different subjects as you can.

2. Know what you're good at (or learn what you want to be good at). No one knows everything. So don't pretend to know everything.

3. Use reliable sources. You aren't going to find anything remotely comparable to ansersingenisis or any such nonsense in any of my debates. You'll notice a theme if you look at my sources. http://www.debate.org...

They're are all: Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Harvard University Press, Columbia University Press, Journal of Philosophy and Medicine. There are, of course, reliable sources that don't come from Harvard University Press, but my point remains. Use sources that are reliable. And try your best to stay away from blogs.

4. Learn all the fallacies that there are. This should be easy since you can readily find full lists of them on the internet. http://en.wikipedia.org...

5. Watch people who are good at debating. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. I'll use WLC as an example. He's in the youtube video in this page. If you forget everything I've said, at least remember #5.

6. Make a list of contentions and keep your thoughts organized. In all of my debates, I create a list of contentions to keep myself organized. This also helps the audience follow you. Though this isn't necessary, I think it's helpful. http://www.debate.org...

For example:

C1: Colonizing Mars has numerous practical benefits for modern life.

C2: There are overwhelming economic reasons to colonize Mars.

C3: Mars has scientific secrets that are valuable and interesting.

C4: Colonizing Mars helps ensure the survival of the human species.

C5: Grape's counter-proposals are deficient in numerous ways.

The audience should be able to readily know what it is you're arguing.

7. Practice writing. You aren't going to be good at debating if you suck at writing. Learn to write short clear sentences that convey your thoughts with clarity.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 9:11:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/15/2011 9:04:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Sure, I'm willing to teach. I do know everything ... only my wife doubts that fact.

And she is correct! *cough* she has an knife at my neck *cough*
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:16:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Learn-O-Tron

1. darkkermit
2. Ore_Ele
3. Rockylightning
4. Double_R
5. Freeman
6. Roylatham.

Students:
1. Curt
2. MCDCBC
3. SRW
4. Rockylightning
5. Man is good.
6. Meatros
7. Logic_on_rails
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:26:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
May I ask what exactly this entails, by the way? And shouldn't there by some kind of criteria for someone to volunteer as a "teacher" or whatever it is?
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:46:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/16/2011 12:44:32 AM, PartamRuhem wrote:
I am well educated in Public Forum style of debating, so if that could be helpful?

definitely!
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:31:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/16/2011 1:25:09 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Darkkermit, the lists are overflowing..whats your plan.

That's a good thing. The more the merrier. I didn't think it would get filled. There are actually some people who signed up as students who are fairly good debaters though, so the sessions will be more open dialogue, in which teachers and students can jump in, instead of a strict format where the teachers teach and the students learn.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:13:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Though I'm not quite sure what this entails and I feel like there should be some kind of criteria for someone to be a teacher, count me in as a student.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:05:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a great idea, when y'all get a system or something going please let me know. It would be a great addition to the upcoming new user help thread.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:16:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have to leave soon, so I won't get a system going up today. I was going to start of with an introduction to debating. Just basics of inductive and deductive logic, Burden of proof, etc. I think it would be great if we said some of the better debate like Freeman, J.Kenyon, Roylatham, Cirrk, etc. and analyzed them. Understand why they did so well in the debate and how we can incorporate their styles into our own debate techniques.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:34:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/16/2011 4:16:36 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I have to leave soon, so I won't get a system going up today. I was going to start of with an introduction to debating. Just basics of inductive and deductive logic, Burden of proof, etc. I think it would be great if we said some of the better debate like Freeman, J.Kenyon, Roylatham, Cirrk, etc. and analyzed them. Understand why they did so well in the debate and how we can incorporate their styles into our own debate techniques.

That sounds like a good idea. This is when a group feature would be nice in DDO. A place to get out of the forums and work on stuff like this.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen