Jump to topic:

Compliments

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:33:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In the last few days, we've heard just about every negative thing about DDO, that can be said about a site. I like a good drama once in a while just as much as anyone else, but honestly this is getting kind of old, so I started this thread to list some of the things that I like about DDO.

I like the fact that we can engage in a formal debate, of any length, and on any subject we choose. We can have that debate voted on, and our performance critiqued so that we become better debaters.

If we don't want a formal debate, but want to argue a point, we can go into the forums, join an existing argument, or start a thread and argue with a number of people with differing ideologies.

If we're not in the mood for arguing, we can can go to the games forum and play in a game of mafia, or another type of game when available. By the way, we need some new players so go sign up for the beginner games and try it out.

If we don't feel like doing any of that, we can do nothing but read debates and vote on them, or read forums, and pm with friends.

So basically, DDO is a social site, a place to hold formal debates, a message board, and a games forum, all in one easy-to-use site. I don't think there's anything else out there quite like it.

What say you??
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:42:02 PM
it's a parade of happy benalities yay.

I like that no matter what there is always going to be people that aren't bummers or downers on this site.

I like that although everyone is so negative and are being trolls they keep coming back because this site is like no other.

I like that I am on this site
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:47:15 PM
There are still many features that I admire of DDO: there are generally a free range of topics can choose, possibly from the art theory, the (subjective) quality of art and its mediums and agents, science (the theory of evolution, the reliance on radiometric dating), pro and anti-life views, abortion, historical events, semantics (which are valuable part of this site), and so on. With each new debate, one has new facts and doors of knowledge to learn and peruse.

The site itself is impressive. One's profile has many valuable features: the comments page, the list of debates, the time the user was on, personal traits and education, and so on, along with photo albums that sometimes compliment as well.

In addition, DDO allows members from distinct parts of the world, from the precincts of New York to the parlor of Britain, and so on, to congregate and communicate, sharing information, lessons, and views with each other. I, for one, am curious of how DDO is like.

Even with a few members that I disagree with, namely Izbo, there however appears to be some benefit from such interaction with the likes of him: we learn lessons, and the chief lesson is to never to be like him, to attain the qualities of arrogance, pride, and belligerence on a site like this. One learns how to better himself by the mistakes of others.

The forums offer a wide view of subjects: art, history, technology, economics, and even about DDO itself, the most popular category [and, honestly, the home of all the drama]. Posting and engaging in such a good environment is at least a good experience.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 11:52:59 PM
At 7/15/2011 11:42:02 PM, headphonegut wrote:
it's a parade of happy benalities yay.

I like that no matter what there is always going to be people that aren't bummers or downers on this site.

I like that although everyone is so negative and are being trolls they keep coming back because this site is like no other.

I like that I am on this site
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:02:04 AM
Most intellectually versatile and stimulating, honest, respectful, and welcoming online community I have ever come across and I'm happy to consider myself a part of it. There's always something to learn for everyone. A wealth of information that I can always count on for anything from helping me with my school essays to developing my personal philosophy. Despite all the negativity that's been coming in as of late, I still maintain that this place is the sh!t.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:31:39 AM
At 7/16/2011 12:02:04 AM, jat93 wrote:
Most intellectually versatile and stimulating, honest, respectful, and welcoming online community I have ever come across and I'm happy to consider myself a part of it. There's always something to learn for everyone. A wealth of information that I can always count on for anything from helping me with my school essays to developing my personal philosophy. Despite all the negativity that's been coming in as of late, I still maintain that this place is the sh!t.

This
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:37:24 AM
This site is a community, practically an online home. We occasionally have the family squabbles, but agree or disagree we can still get along and view each other as people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 12:47:46 AM
At 7/16/2011 12:37:24 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This site is a community, practically an online home. We occasionally have the family squabbles, but agree or disagree we can still get along and view each other as people.

merry Thistmas.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:22:13 AM
I like how much you learn here. I often accept debates I know nothing about just so I'm forced to research it to write a case about it.

You also get to hear the other side of a lot of issues from people who know what they're talking about.

Also learn about just about every possible argument for and against the existence of God.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 9:24:43 AM
At 7/16/2011 7:52:53 AM, Sieben wrote:
"Hey can I jerk you off? Will you jerk me off? Oh hey what about this guy okay tell you what you start doing him, I'll do you, and he'll do me... fap fap fap we are such good fap buddies."

I wasn't joking when I said the Sean Hannity forums were a significant intellectual improvement over DDO. They're probably more diverse too because I remember there being a couple of prominent Liberal Democrat members, of which DDO has none.

I thought you were leaving??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 9:47:33 AM
"Hey can I jerk you off? Will you jerk me off? Oh hey what about this guy okay tell you what you start doing him, I'll do you, and he'll do me... fap fap fap we are such good fap buddies."

You're supposedly 22 years old. You do realize that there are young kids around here, right??

I wasn't joking when I said the Sean Hannity forums were a significant intellectual improvement over DDO. They're probably more diverse too because I remember there being a couple of prominent Liberal Democrat members, of which DDO has none.

I don't necessarily see the lack of liberal dems as a bad thing, unless you're just looking for something to bmc about.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 10:08:45 AM
At 7/16/2011 9:47:33 AM, medic0506 wrote:

You're supposedly 22 years old. You do realize that there are young kids around here, right??

I could really care less.

I don't necessarily see the lack of liberal dems as a bad thing, unless you're just looking for something to bmc about.

Well everyone likes to fap about how diverse DDO is. Its not, unless you count random troll opinions as "diversity". Like I said, the Sean Hannity forums are a more intellectually stimulating and diverse place.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 11:10:00 AM
At 7/16/2011 10:08:45 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 7/16/2011 9:47:33 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I could really care less.

How very mature of you, I guess that explains your popularity.

Well everyone likes to fap about how diverse DDO is. Its not, unless you count random troll opinions as "diversity". Like I said, the Sean Hannity forums are a more intellectually stimulating and diverse place.

What should DDO do, not allow more than 1 person of a particular ideology to sign in until every single viewpoint is represented?? How diverse is your site?? And different font sizes used to write penis, during the penis game, doesn't count as diversity.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 11:31:53 AM
At 7/16/2011 11:10:00 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I'm not popular. Oh wait you were being sarcastic. I didn't realize.

What should DDO do, not allow more than 1 person of a particular ideology to sign in until every single viewpoint is represented??

I don't know or care what DDO should do. I am just saying that DDO has no claim to fame on any of the metrics so often touted.

How diverse is your site?? And different font sizes used to write penis, during the penis game, doesn't count as diversity.

Probably not very diverse. We truly want to recruit lots of people and we don't really care what their affiliation is.

But you'll notice that the majority of threads are of a much higher caliber. Thanks for cherry picking that 1 thread though, which I would argue is more intelligent than the average CharlesB or Tiel post since it contains at least 2 levels of irony.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:28:39 PM
At 7/16/2011 11:31:53 AM, Sieben wrote:

What should DDO do, not allow more than 1 person of a particular ideology to sign in until every single viewpoint is represented??

I don't know or care what DDO should do. I am just saying that DDO has no claim to fame on any of the metrics so often touted.

I would say that among the sites I've been on, the diversity here is much more evident, and I hope that continues.

How diverse is your site?? And different font sizes used to write penis, during the penis game, doesn't count as diversity.

Probably not very diverse. We truly want to recruit lots of people and we don't really care what their affiliation is.

I guess my question is, if it's so bad here, why stay and why not go do your recruiting somewhere else. It seems as if you're doing nothing but wizzing in everyone's cornflakes here. Is that a successful recruiting tactic??

But you'll notice that the majority of threads are of a much higher caliber. Thanks for cherry picking that 1 thread though...

I just found it funny that you guys were playing the penis game, yet you come here and say that we're the ones that are fapping. I wouldn't have mentioned that thread had it not been for that.

which I would argue is more intelligent than the average CharlesB or Tiel post since it contains at least 2 levels of irony.

That's another thing, you say you want diversity yet you pre-ban those opinions and beliefs. I don't know Tiel, and I absolutely disagree with Charles most of the time, but I would never advocate for keeping those opinions off our site. I doubt that many here would.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:34:28 PM
At 7/16/2011 2:28:39 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/16/2011 11:31:53 AM, Sieben wrote:

The diversity comes from the variety of members, their numerous views and origins. There are different ideologies as well.

I would say that among the sites I've been on, the diversity here is much more evident, and I hope that continues.

But you'll notice that the majority of threads are of a much higher caliber. Thanks for cherry picking that 1 thread though...

Disparaging the members and their forums on this site isn't a "succesfull recruiting tactic", I must say.

I just found it funny that you guys were playing the penis game, yet you come here and say that we're the ones that are fapping. I wouldn't have mentioned that thread had it not been for that.

which I would argue is more intelligent than the average CharlesB or Tiel post since it contains at least 2 levels of irony.

That's another thing, you say you want diversity yet you pre-ban those opinions and beliefs. I don't know Tiel, and I absolutely disagree with Charles most of the time, but I would never advocate for keeping those opinions off our site. I doubt that many here would.

We should judge members on their conduct, not on their ideologies. I know that you oppose Tiel, who has many quaint beliefs in what I frankly call psuedoscience (alchemy, the sixth sense, extaterrestrial life, and so on), but I do not. Notice that members only started petitioning him to ban him when he started his outrageous behavior [that is, to presuppose that he was Justin_Chains] and started quarrelling with Cliff. Stamp and Dark.Kermit. Otherwise, members, including myself, engaged in a relatively friendly and tranquil conversation over the matters...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:40:00 PM

Yes. DDO is not the worst website on the internet. But it gets beat by the Sean Hannity forums. It also gets beat by the MTG (magic the gathering) debate subforums. Its not really a special community (read, community. Yes it does have special debate features).

I guess my question is, if it's so bad here, why stay and why not go do your recruiting somewhere else. It seems as if you're doing nothing but wizzing in everyone's cornflakes here. Is that a successful recruiting tactic??

Well I already took a bunch of productive members with me (those who signed the thread). I thought I'd try to take a few more and rub salt in the wound while I'm at it.

Yes it is effective because its polarizing. Some people hate it, and some people identify with me because they're tired of this community's problems.

Like I said, the penis game played on our thread has at least 2 levels of irony (3 if you read it), causing it to far exceed the intellectual level of the average DDO post.

But yeah. You just want to cherry pick so we look bad. Nevermind all the other high caliber threads we've started. Who cares? Just as long as you can feel good about DDO.

We are okay with communists. We just don't want retarded or troll communists. We are "pre-banning" trolls and morons, even ancap ones.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 4:02:34 PM
I like is site because it is my only source for different perspectives. I can't ask wiki a specific question. And it's not dominated by one idealogly any more so I can get honest answers most if the time.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 7:06:24 PM
At 7/16/2011 2:40:00 PM, Sieben wrote:

Yes. DDO is not the worst website on the internet. But it gets beat by the Sean Hannity forums. It also gets beat by the MTG (magic the gathering) debate subforums. Its not really a special community (read, community. Yes it does have special debate features).

I was only speaking for the ones that I've seen, I've been on a few but not alot. I'm sure there are some good ones, but I happen to think this is the best I've seen. I guess whether the site is good, or not, depends on what you want to get out of it. A community is only as good as the people involved, and their contributions to it.

Well I already took a bunch of productive members with me (those who signed the thread). I thought I'd try to take a few more and rub salt in the wound while I'm at it.

Yes it is effective because its polarizing. Some people hate it, and some people identify with me because they're tired of this community's problems.

So you're admitting, to the same people you're trying to recruit, that you're just here to try and cause more trouble so they'll come over to your site. If that's an effective tactic when they know that's what you're doing, are those the kind of people you're looking for, to join such an intellectually superior site?? Seems to me that anyone that falls for that is anything but intellectual.

Like I said, the penis game played on our thread has at least 2 levels of irony (3 if you read it), causing it to far exceed the intellectual level of the average DDO post.

I really didn't pay that much attention to it.

But yeah. You just want to cherry pick so we look bad. Nevermind all the other high caliber threads we've started. Who cares? Just as long as you can feel good about DDO.

I have absolutely no interest in making any of those people look bad, not one of them has ever done anything to me, that would provoke that kind of response, including you. If I'm not mistaken this is the first time we've ever talked, so why would I be trying to make you guys look bad?? I only made the comment in response to your comment about us.

We are okay with communists. We just don't want retarded or troll communists. We are "pre-banning" trolls and morons, even ancap ones.

Okay, that's your prerogative.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 7:10:46 PM
At 7/16/2011 3:42:27 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
@sieben
If you hate it so much here, why are you still here?
Because you're a troll.

Amen to that.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 12:54:29 PM
At 7/18/2011 12:45:37 PM, Double_R wrote:
You know this was a nice post, once upon a time...

Until Sieben came along...

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 1:00:52 PM

Here, here!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 1:10:00 PM

Agree mostly, except for bolded parts
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2011 1:17:20 PM
At 7/18/2011 1:10:00 PM, phantom wrote:

Agree mostly, except for bolded parts

I think those days are mostly gone now. Got rid of the trash. ;)
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen