Jump to topic:

NEGATIVE people

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:37:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have three favorite websites over the past four years. A drawing website, a chess website, and debate.org, which I just found.

IN EACH website there are people whining "the website has gotten worse boo hoo"
I just got here on this website, I thought "wow, this website is so serious with such smart people" and I read a forum where a guy was whining, and suddenly my enthusiasm dropped.

What's YOUR theory for why that is?

Maybe it's human to be resistant to change, and whenever times change, it's automatically a bad thing?
Maybe websites get watered down the more popular they get?
Maybe People are always unsatisfied because they don't know what they want?

The same concept applies to life in general. I don't think even a slim majority of people in any given country will feel happy with their country. Just, Why?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 2:44:50 PM
At 7/16/2011 2:37:36 PM, 000ike wrote:
I have three favorite websites over the past four years. A drawing website, a chess website, and debate.org, which I just found.
Interesting...I can see that you probably have a wide range of interests. I hope you can use such interests to your advantage in your debate...

Frankly, that is an individual characteristic of every site. Those who dislike the low times complain about it; those who are mature, and realize that every site and institution experiences a capricious life cycle, understands. Sorry for being verbose. I am attempting to use a couple of SAT words in my language, in order to memorize them...
I just got here on this website, I thought "wow, this website is so serious with such smart people" and I read a forum where a guy was whining, and suddenly my enthusiasm dropped.
Please don't pay attention to that forum. It is useless and counterproductive. Instead of spending time of discussing with other members, engaging in friendly intercourse, and even adding to the productivity of the site by making debates and even forums, he just goes on ranting. Even if DDO is in low times, you can still at least proceed and try to debate and better yourself. Ignore the complaints and have the most fun and enjoyment you can have on this site.
Like you stated, my theory includes: perceived problems in administration, decrease in the quality, and viewership, of the site, resistance to change, and even lack of interest...But, there are other theories that might account for all this.

The same concept applies to life in general. I don't think even a slim majority of people in any given country will feel happy with their country. Just, Why?
Humans are always dissatisfied to a certain degree and want to achieve further, despite the limits of their condition....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:03:20 PM
I have three favorite websites over the past four years. A drawing website, a chess website, and debate.org, which I just found.:

Which chess website?, cuz that's my other internet hobby too.

IN EACH website there are people whining "the website has gotten worse boo hoo":

Every forum goes through that. DDO isn't my first web forum, by a long shot. I probably joined some web forums while some of the people here were still in diapers (not being facetious either). The point is that I've seen this very thing countless times. The common thread that unites them all seems be that EVERY forum talks of a "good 'ole days"...

What's YOUR theory for why that is?:

There's a lot of dynamics at play, but I think the primary problem is that people just get tired of talking about the same things with the same people over and over again with little to no headway. Every site will hit a lull until old members leave and/or new one's join. This process happens multiple times. This probably wasn't the first lull here, and I doubt it will be the last.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:15:33 PM
Which chess website?, cuz that's my other internet hobby too.

http://www.chess.com...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 3:18:23 PM

Maybe it's human to be resistant to change, and whenever times change, it's automatically a bad thing?

I don't know about others but sieben is a special case. He is extremely butthurt that no one really gives a damn that he is leaving. SO he sticks around like a case of the clap and just tries to make everyone else as miserable as he is.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:04:49 PM

That is true on a lot of websites. There are always people who aren't happy with how good a website is, and will want more. I have seen comments on debates such as "CalvinCambridge, thank you for bringing the website to its knees even further." A general pessimistic attitude is what brings down the quality of websites.