Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Multi Accounts and Skewed Voting

Add Post
Forum Moderator

7/22/2011 4:05:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It has been made clear that the integrity of voting on debates is of high value to the members of this site.

To that end daily IP checks are made and multi accounts are reported, and although it is understood that there are some benign reasons for having alternate accounts, those accounts that are created for the express purpose, or extra purpose of skewing the vote scores of a debate will not be tolerated. Cross checking the voting practices within the multi accounts will be investigated, and deactivation of an account, or accounts will result.

This practice is in keeping with the desired standards of this site, and maintaining the integrity of the debate process on DDO. All activity in executing these actions will be done with the cooperation and help of key members of this site.

Thank you,
Your Moderator.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:03:45 AM
At 7/22/2011 9:13:52 AM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:
Voting would be nice, period.

you have to complete 3 debates and have your account verified via text message (we were having issues in the past where people could just create an account and vote 5 minutes later to give someone a win or loss based on bias reasoning).

I see you've already completed 2 debates, only 1 more to go.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 11:30:54 AM
I'll be your third debate if you want. We disagree on 60% of the issues, so it should be pretty easy to find something we can debate.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 12:06:31 PM
I am in my third debate and am waiting on my opponent to post 4th round. I know the rule. I made the above post because I have a debate on which I worked really hard that only has ONE vote??!!
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 4:27:48 PM
"Johnicle Likes this."

I really don't have anything else to say. Except that FB has really made me attached to the like button. It's just way easier than giving a reason as to why you like it (especially when that reason is obvious).
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 12:03:00 PM
One thing that I would appreciate would be the ability to report votes, allowing a moderator to judge whether or not the reported vote is a vote-bomb, taking proper action against the voter if it obviously is or against the reporter if it actually isn't. Currently, I've identified a rather obvious vote-bomb, but I don't see how I can bring moderator attention to it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 12:33:54 PM
At 7/23/2011 12:03:00 PM, mongeese wrote:
One thing that I would appreciate would be the ability to report votes, allowing a moderator to judge whether or not the reported vote is a vote-bomb, taking proper action against the voter if it obviously is or against the reporter if it actually isn't. Currently, I've identified a rather obvious vote-bomb, but I don't see how I can bring moderator attention to it.

We are working with Juggle, and If you want to PM me, I would me more than happy to have it checked out. A couple of us have been monitoring multis and their voting habits, but the goal is to overall help the integrity of the debate/voting process. If nothing else we can counter obvious vote bomb(er)s.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:09:43 PM
I agree and I do think that a lot of time counter vote bombs can be just as bad if it is not obvious that the original vote was a vote bomb.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:35:58 PM
At 7/23/2011 1:09:43 PM, BennyW wrote:
I agree and I do think that a lot of time counter vote bombs can be just as bad if it is not obvious that the original vote was a vote bomb.

Well, the moderator doesn' t have the ability to alter the votes, just delete the debate, which isn't a good option. If it's not an obvious vote bomb, then a counter vote wouldn't take place.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 2:13:43 PM
At 7/23/2011 1:35:58 PM, innomen wrote:

Well, the moderator doesn' t have the ability to alter the votes, just delete the debate, which isn't a good option. If it's not an obvious vote bomb, then a counter vote wouldn't take place.

Well, that wouldn't be what I'm looking for. I just want the single vote removed. Why can't moderators do that?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 3:14:15 PM
At 7/23/2011 2:13:43 PM, mongeese wrote:

Well, that wouldn't be what I'm looking for. I just want the single vote removed. Why can't moderators do that?

Blame Phil.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:18:23 PM

In order to fairly determine if a vote should be removed, the mod would have to read through the entire debate, unless the voter states it is a vote bomb in his rfd. That puts alot of power into one person's determination of the winner, which defeats the purpose of having members vote for the winner. Besides, I don't think Juggle has the manpower to put people in place to read and respond to all the complaints about votes that would be reported.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:54:12 PM
At 7/23/2011 5:18:23 PM, medic0506 wrote:

In order to fairly determine if a vote should be removed, the mod would have to read through the entire debate, unless the voter states it is a vote bomb in his rfd. That puts alot of power into one person's determination of the winner, which defeats the purpose of having members vote for the winner. Besides, I don't think Juggle has the manpower to put people in place to read and respond to all the complaints about votes that would be reported.

This is actually a fairly obvious vote-bomb, as sources, spelling, grammar, and conduct weren't even mentioned in the RFD but still given to Pro.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 6:00:43 PM
At 7/23/2011 5:54:12 PM, mongeese wrote:

This is actually a fairly obvious vote-bomb, as sources, spelling, grammar, and conduct weren't even mentioned in the RFD but still given to Pro.

Maybe we should have a report votebomb thread.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 6:04:36 PM
At 7/23/2011 5:54:12 PM, mongeese wrote:

I looked at Seabiscuit's voting reason and found your points to be valid, to a degree, but valid nonetheless. You are right: he ascribes your opponent all seven points, but only mentions potential 'weaknesses' in your argument [which he attributes to an imperative along the line of 'poor heuristics']. It is obvious that spelling, grammar, conduct, and the validity of sources is separate from the criteria to which voters judge the arguments in a debate.

I suggest a policy to that if a member is found vote-bombing on three separate debates, he will have his account closed or at least banned from voting (for a certain time). Personal prejudice should not weigh into one's ultimate decision for a vote...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 2:23:02 PM

I don't have a problem with this issue.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 4:51:37 AM
At 7/22/2011 4:05:57 AM, Forum Moderator wrote:
It has been made clear that the integrity of voting on debates is of high value to the members of this site.

To that end daily IP checks are made and multi accounts are reported, and although it is understood that there are some benign reasons for having alternate accounts, those accounts that are created for the express purpose, or extra purpose of skewing the vote scores of a debate will not be tolerated. Cross checking the voting practices within the multi accounts will be investigated, and deactivation of an account, or accounts will result.

This practice is in keeping with the desired standards of this site, and maintaining the integrity of the debate process on DDO. All activity in executing these actions will be done with the cooperation and help of key members of this site.

Thank you,
Your Moderator.

What, pray tell, are the 'benign reasons for having multiple accounts'???

That they can bully and use profanities without risking their primary account?

What is it?

Please install a ZERO tolerance policy on multiple accounts; begin with I-am-a-Panda and JustCallMeTarzan. Thank you.
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 4:44:29 AM
At 7/26/2011 4:51:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/22/2011 4:05:57 AM, Forum Moderator wrote:

Thank you,
Your Moderator.

What is it?

Please install a ZERO tolerance policy on multiple accounts; begin with I-am-a-Panda and JustCallMeTarzan. Thank you.

What is it?

The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 5:23:10 AM
At 7/27/2011 4:51:50 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
There is no evidence for them being the same person.

So, you have access to their accounts do you? I mean, you must do, to speak so authoritatively..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 6:50:14 AM
At 7/27/2011 5:23:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

So, you have access to their accounts do you? I mean, you must do, to speak so authoritatively..

Juggle keeps in contact with Innomen about accounts which share IP addresses.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 9:25:40 AM
At 7/27/2011 6:50:14 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 7/27/2011 5:23:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Juggle keeps in contact with Innomen about accounts which share IP addresses.

These names mean nothing to me.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 9:40:23 AM
Sorry. Innomen is the site president* - an elected member (it isn't relevent whether you recognize him as such), and Juggle are the chaps who own this website. You can see their name at the bottom of the page.

*http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 10:10:38 AM
At 7/28/2011 9:40:23 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Sorry. Innomen is the site president* - an elected member (it isn't relevent whether you recognize him as such), and Juggle are the chaps who own this website. You can see their name at the bottom of the page.

It's totally relevant; this is a corrupt world full of sinful people..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 10:14:27 AM
At 7/28/2011 10:10:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Actually, it isn't. Whether you recognize him or not, he is the elected DDO President and Juggle does provide him with info about multiple members using a single IP address.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2011 10:25:12 AM
At 7/28/2011 10:10:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Innomen. What with you today ? Innomen is a well respected guy here.
You do not have to agree with is ideology in any way. But he is doing what needs to be done. So give the guy a break and get that stupid chip from upon your
shoulders. =)