Jump to topic:

Site Update Request

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:18:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This request has 3 parts with the intention of being able to host Policy Debate on this site. I also believe it to be the first step in being able to hold tournaments on this site. If successfully implemented, I would predict a major boost in both numbers who get google hits to this site, as well as number of people who have a lengthy stay on the site.

1) Card Cutting

-When you post a quote from a source, I would like to be able to cut out unnecessary words (for the debate) while being able to keep the relevant words. While simply eliminating these words is possible, it is more opponent friendly if the entire source could be read (to make sure it wasn't taken out of context, etc.) In a live debate, the "cut" words are usually sub-scripted... I would like to be able to do this without having these words count towards the character count.

2) More Characters

-Policy debate is almost completely evidence. Which gets lengthy. On top of this, in a live debate, it is read as fast as humanly possible. Which means the amount of arguments allowed in a live policy debate is about cut down to 1/3 online. Every time a policy debater comes on this site, they usually only get through one or two debates before they get sick of it and I have yet to know of one who is still on the site (NOTE: I've been on this site for 3 and a half years. This isn't coincidence it's a systematic trend. I've seen about 100 policy debaters come and go from this site and those are only the ones I've noticed).

I would like to have up to 16,000 Characters. I know it's a lot for every other type of debate, but I would assume that those debates wouldn't use the max. Especially if you kept the default at 8,000.

3) Round Organization/Character Assignments

This one is sort of two parts. First: In policy debate, there are back to back Negative speeches. Rather than trying to organize one side from not posting in one given round, I would rather be able to have the Negative (or con) be able to do back to back speeches.

Second: The first 4 speeches in Policy are 8 or 9 minutes (depending on the circuit) and the last 4 speeches are 5 or 6 minutes. I would like to be able to assign character counts appropriately to meet those guidelines.

SOLUTION TO BOTH OF THESE PROBLEMS: Create templates for each type of live debating. Make available an option to do "Policy Debate" or "Lincoln-Douglas Debate" with appropriate Character Counts as well as Speech Orders. The regular debates could simply be called "Regular Debate"

Also, since Affirmative (or Pro) always starts in every live debate, if the Instigator chooses Negative/Con, simply let the Contender have the first round. It would be up to whether to allow a Challenge/Accept speech or not.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:26:53 PM
I would actually like to add to this in a more abstract way... I believe that circuit debaters is the untapped population this site is missing. Almost everyone on here is not a debater in a actual high school or college circuit. I would certainly point to the long-time members for sure to prove this. I think I am the only one who has stayed active for so long and I feel it's because they aren't quite as comfortable here. Adding a few of these features may help them to stay longer.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 1:38:04 AM
Well for cutting cards you can just do "..." to cut out unimportant stuff. Though it does disrupt the flow a bit if you have to do it a lot.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 1:59:02 AM
Juggle is spread very thin recently, in terms of employees. Once they double their staff count, I don't doubt that new updates will come.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 2:50:44 AM
At 7/24/2011 1:38:04 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Well for cutting cards you can just do "..." to cut out unimportant stuff. Though it does disrupt the flow a bit if you have to do it a lot.

while being able to keep the relevant words
Basically he wants spoiler tags.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:38:01 AM
At 7/24/2011 1:59:02 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Juggle is spread very thin recently, in terms of employees. Once they double their staff count, I don't doubt that new updates will come.

True that.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 11:58:28 AM
At 7/24/2011 1:38:04 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Yeah I am aware that I can just do the "..." but it would be extremely convenient if the whole source was there. Another problem is that a lot of evidence is on databases. So even if you link it on the debate, you would need a password to see the entire article.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:47:05 PM
I think most of the added complexity would not be worthwhile. People would get caught up in the intricacies of formatting rather than in the debate.

The one I do like has to do with references. The actual links "http: ..." could be excluded from the character count. It's pointless to have to use tinyurl to scavenge characters.

If both sides agree ahead of time, links can be put in the Comments. Without agreement in advance, that's a conduct violation for exceeding the character count. I don't like that solution in any case, because it ruins the flow of the debate. One should be able to click through directly.