Jump to topic:

posting

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 6:38:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would suggest you cock off to her in the comments, as well as use your next round to complain about her lethargy - try to convince the voters that she is forfeiting her conduct points. The standard technique is to tie that in with your criticism of her argument, with phrases like "all that time and you could only come up with this?!" You can even apologize to the voters for her wasting their time, or pull a Sieben and acuse her of trolling.
Rob
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 8:23:34 PM
That usually happens to many members, especially to those who are opposed by tardy, or at least meticulous, members of the site in a debate. I suggest waiting patiently and even entertaining other options or courses of actions, such as reading books, watching movies, or even reviewing for future courses and classes, as your opponent writes his/her response.

With the case of new members, as I have seen myself, they tend to forfeit, immediately giving you the upper hand in terms of conduct and even argumentation...Thus, the long wait does not always detriment, especially when it shows signs of a 'classic forfeit'. In addition, I would suggest not expressing disapprobation or censure to the member [such as pulling a Sieben or Izbo on them and commence the flame war in the comments page], since it would possibly not only prove wasteful but negative in terms of your friendship/relationship with the opposite member, or even your own reputation. (Note: if the member you're arguing with is universally disliked, and even abhorred, by the community of DDO, feel free to start a massive flame war. I did one with:http://www.debate.org...)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 9:29:19 PM
At 7/24/2011 8:23:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
(Note: if the member you're arguing with is universally disliked, and even abhorred, by the community of DDO, feel free to start a massive flame war. I did one with:http://www.debate.org...)

How does trolling a troll lessen the trolling? Starting fights, bickering, and starting flame wars is never justified. All it does is decrease the quality of the site and contributes nothing but more bickering and fighting- things this site doesn't need.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:38:23 AM
At 7/24/2011 2:20:00 PM, wierdman wrote:
i am just about tired of waiting forever for a post especially since my opponent is online and the instigator.

Just get yourself into a few more debates at the same time. Then you'll be thanking your opponents for waiting.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 6:38:20 AM
At 7/25/2011 1:38:23 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 7/24/2011 2:20:00 PM, wierdman wrote:
i am just about tired of waiting forever for a post especially since my opponent is online and the instigator.

Just get yourself into a few more debates at the same time. Then you'll be thanking your opponents for waiting.

i did and both my opponent's still haven't posted.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 7:53:43 AM
They are allowed to use the full time available. Strangely enough they are also allowed to be online and not devote their full time to the debate - it is poor manners to forfeit, but it is perfectly acceptable to take one's time in responding.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 8:31:20 AM
At 7/25/2011 7:55:06 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
However, I wouldn't expect your opponent to respond at all, considering their account is no longer open.

rely? i didn't notice.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 11:15:46 AM
At 7/24/2011 9:29:19 PM, seraine wrote:
At 7/24/2011 8:23:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
(Note: if the member you're arguing with is universally disliked, and even abhorred, by the community of DDO, feel free to start a massive flame war. I did one with:http://www.debate.org...)

How does trolling a troll lessen the trolling? Starting fights, bickering, and starting flame wars is never justified. All it does is decrease the quality of the site and contributes nothing but more bickering and fighting- things this site doesn't need.

I guess an oblique, cursory, reference to the infamous Bozo is enough to earn a lesson about trolling. Please note that I was joking, since the message about the flame war does contrast with the general message I gave to wierdman.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau