Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do YOU wanna play a game ?

inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 11:48:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Since I am in a room filled with such great intellectuals........

What is it that makes Debate.org different from all other social online forums ?
If you give the best answer, I will give you 100 imaginary points.
You will be the winner and rewarded intellectual of the year.
Lets rock.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:27:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 12:21:26 PM, inferno wrote:
How about the emotion factor ?
A social online forum means nothing if it cannot evoke emotion.

How about the sensationalist factor as well? We can't do anything without a bit of drama or tension in the forums or in the community of DDO.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:29:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Man Is Good. You must understand that it is sensationalism that drives our culture
in todays world. This is why we feel the need to overdramaticize things here.
It may be irrelevent in the real world, but in our world, this place is what we make it.
Drama is part of the process because our emotions get involved.
It unearths our deepest darkest fears, insecurities, and anxieties about our own self.
Some of you are not willing to admit this, but..........
I am. Comments please.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:31:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So what you see here is the subconscious display of our own alter ego.
There is great correlation with what you see here vs as to what goes on in our
own personal lives, too.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:43:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 12:37:22 PM, inferno wrote:
Wierdman. Such as what ? Did you learn anything from your bouts with others
about religion.

Inferno, did you learn anything from your bouts with Juggle, and your multi-accounting?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:45:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Man Is Good. Please do not bore me with these hyberstupidity questions. =)
I want to discuss what is it that makes this site so different.
Is it the deep and provocative yet secluded thoughts that are lurking on this forum daily that is not
being heard. Hmmmm. Interesting.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 12:56:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know that it is so different, do you contend that it is? Although i haven't found quite the same sort of experience in other on sites, although it is quite possible that other sites exist with similar feels to it. I haven't found an online debate feature that is as well structured as DDO.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:04:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Innomen. I think it is different because there is a certain level of unrestrained
conviction. There are a lot of teenagers here as well, and that gives it a certain
peculiar sense of diversity that you do not see on sites that are normally
saturated by adults. I am sure that the person(s) who put this puzzle together did not anticipate such a smargasboard of windy youngsters that are from all over the world.
You think teens and you think of the more squared yet highly predictable forums such as Facebook and
MySpace. I gotta give it to them though. DDO has an element of charm that can be quite
addictive even more so than its commercialized cyber counterparts. Comments please.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:27:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 1:04:30 PM, inferno wrote:
Innomen. I think it is different because there is a certain level of unrestrained
conviction. There are a lot of teenagers here as well, and that gives it a certain
peculiar sense of diversity that you do not see on sites that are normally
saturated by adults. I am sure that the person(s) who put this puzzle together did not anticipate such a smargasboard of windy youngsters that are from all over the world.
You think teens and you think of the more squared yet highly predictable forums such as Facebook and
MySpace. I gotta give it to them though. DDO has an element of charm that can be quite
addictive even more so than its commercialized cyber counterparts. Comments please.

Well, there is some great measure of truth in what you say. When i first came here i underestimated the abilities of the kids here, and that was a massive mistake. I came to appreciate the nature of the individuals here, and to be perfectly honest, i don't think i would have had that experience anywhere else but on DDO. I've completely changed my appreciation of teens because of what i found here, and actually can call some friends. Only the internet and that element of anonymity could i have such an exchange. There is still a heavy pedantic quality, but it's fine and i can learn from that heavily structured sort of presentation.

BTW, Phil, the father of DDO had different intentions for it, but he made $100K for the site, so it worked out for him.
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:36:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 12:37:22 PM, inferno wrote:
Wierdman. Such as what ? Did you learn anything from your bouts with others
about religion.

Actually "inferno" i did learn something from my "bouts" about religion.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 1:40:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Innomen. I am sure that this guy did not anticipate the quiet thunder and impact from this great site. I admit, that I did not really enjoy this place all that much.
But it was because I was so use to the sensationalism that Man Is Good talked
about earlier. Yahoo Answers may not be as complex technically speaking. It is more of a talking points thread with a ton of fallacious rhetoric. It is very commercialized and has a much higher volume of people. However, there is not
much secrecy there and the atmosphere has too many bright lights. And more
females, too. I like Debate.org because it is like that 10,000 seat arena, with dimmer lights, and oak wood floors. The crowd may not be as big and charismatic.
But here the climate is more subdued, and laid back. It can be as intense as it is
relaxing, even without all of the noise. I find that to be a quality that is generally
unappreciated.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:09:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 12:45:59 PM, inferno wrote:
Man Is Good. Please do not bore me with these hyberstupidity questions. =)
Same old Interrogator style of speech and syntax.
I want to discuss what is it that makes this site so different.
Then you should not have even spent a word on refuting/addressing my post.
Is it the deep and provocative yet secluded thoughts that are lurking on this forum daily that is not being heard. Hmmmm. Interesting.
Interesting indeed. A question mark is needed, and clauses should be included to divide the sentence for sake of clarity.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:30:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
DDO is like a political circus. You can go to war in a debate, hold town hall meetings in the forums, build alliances and network, or just play games and argue about sports. We even have elections to select a leader to represent us in dealings with Juggle, which gives us all a bigger voice in what happens with the site. Our biggest attraction though is our welcoming diversity in opinions. Though we may strongly disagree with others' beliefs, we realize that those differences are necessary for stimulating discussion. If we all have the same beliefs, our discussions would be quite dull. We also have a wide variety in ages.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 2:32:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 2:30:11 PM, medic0506 wrote:
DDO is like a political circus. You can go to war in a debate, hold town hall meetings in the forums, build alliances and network, or just play games and argue about sports. We even have elections to select a leader to represent us in dealings with Juggle, which gives us all a bigger voice in what happens with the site. Our biggest attraction though is our welcoming diversity in opinions. Though we may strongly disagree with others' beliefs, we realize that those differences are necessary for stimulating discussion. If we all have the same beliefs, our discussions would be quite dull. We also have a wide variety in ages.

Medic. You are a genius. Enough said.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 3:22:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 2:32:46 PM, inferno wrote:
At 7/25/2011 2:30:11 PM, medic0506 wrote:
DDO is like a political circus. You can go to war in a debate, hold town hall meetings in the forums, build alliances and network, or just play games and argue about sports. We even have elections to select a leader to represent us in dealings with Juggle, which gives us all a bigger voice in what happens with the site. Our biggest attraction though is our welcoming diversity in opinions. Though we may strongly disagree with others' beliefs, we realize that those differences are necessary for stimulating discussion. If we all have the same beliefs, our discussions would be quite dull. We also have a wide variety in ages.

Medic. You are a genius. Enough said.

Indeed, nicely said.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 3:27:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Innomen. I think that there will be a great revival on this forum someday.
It is all about timing here and many are dealing with personal issues that can
conflict with their best interest. The economy has a lot to do with this.
These social forums have died down just a little, but they fluctuate when there
is a buzz going on. Think of the internet as The Stock Market. When things are going
well, people stick around. And when things are bad, they scatter. This is what has
been going on at DDO. Not just here, but everywhere.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 3:40:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 3:27:11 PM, inferno wrote:
Innomen. I think that there will be a great revival on this forum someday.
It is all about timing here and many are dealing with personal issues that can
conflict with their best interest. The economy has a lot to do with this.
These social forums have died down just a little, but they fluctuate when there
is a buzz going on. Think of the internet as The Stock Market. When things are going
well, people stick around. And when things are bad, they scatter. This is what has
been going on at DDO. Not just here, but everywhere.

Well, we have somewhat anticipated a lull and know that as all in things it is temporary.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2011 3:50:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/25/2011 3:43:29 PM, inferno wrote:
Innomen. You know you sound rather cryptic sometimes. Are you sure youre not
a DDO spy ? LOL

Spy for? I know stuff.