Jump to topic:

DDO Appreciation Thread

ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 8:32:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am kinda new to DDO, and I am not sure what it was like before--apparently, a few people complained that DDO somehow got worse, and they left.

Well, I am glad that I found about DDO.

Everywhere else on the Internet, people sequester themselves into groups of other people who think alike. You find a forum or a chat room or a political blog where everyone has the same opinions, and you have a prejudiced filter of outside information and an echo chamber, where "us" develops increasingly-negative opinions of "them."

Here, everyone has maximal interaction with people who think starkly different. Further, we tend to judge each other, not according to the alignment of another's opinions with our own, but according to friendliness of behavior.

We learn that "they" are not so bad, and "they" are actually "we."

This is what the Internet should be for.

I love DDO.
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 9:06:21 PM
At 7/26/2011 8:46:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
THANK YOU Abe! I share your love of DDO. Haters can suck a fvck.

That was ironic, given my speech, but let's just say you meant it that way. :-P
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 9:12:21 PM
At 7/26/2011 8:32:36 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
I am kinda new to DDO, and I am not sure what it was like before--apparently, a few people complained that DDO somehow got worse, and they left.

Everywhere else on the Internet, people sequester themselves into groups of other people who think alike. You find a forum or a chat room or a political blog where everyone has the same opinions, and you have a prejudiced filter of outside information and an echo chamber, where "us" develops increasingly-negative opinions of "them."

Here, everyone has maximal interaction with people who think starkly different. Further, we tend to judge each other, not according to the alignment of another's opinions with our own, but according to friendliness of behavior.

I love DDO.

I'm totally with you on this Abe! I rely on the internet for learning just about everything I want to learn, and DDO, through both formal debates and more freestyle conversations via the forums, is my go to source for knowledge on every subject. You can always count on every opinion on every subject to be represented!
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 9:52:18 PM
At 7/26/2011 9:12:21 PM, jat93 wrote:

I love DDO.

I'm totally with you on this Abe! I rely on the internet for learning just about everything I want to learn, and DDO, through both formal debates and more freestyle conversations via the forums, is my go to source for knowledge on every subject. You can always count on every opinion on every subject to be represented!

Except the Amish.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 11:32:42 PM
At 7/26/2011 9:52:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I love DDO.

Except the Amish.

http://www.debate.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 12:05:19 AM
At 7/26/2011 11:32:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/26/2011 9:52:18 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

I love DDO.

Except the Amish.
Link

Thats the joke. They cant use technology.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 12:21:08 AM
At 7/27/2011 12:05:19 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Thats the joke. They cant use technology.

You've clearly never met one of those clever scheming Amish people.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 5:26:22 AM
At 7/26/2011 8:46:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
THANK YOU Abe! I share your love of DDO. Haters can suck a fvck.

You hate the haters? right..
The Cross.. the Cross.