Jump to topic:

DDO etiquette

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 3:34:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here are a few questions for the more experienced debaters.
1) If you see a topic you are interested in but others are commenting on it saying that they might take it, is it okay to take it or should you wait and see if the commenters take it?
2) If your opponent forfeits a round, what is the best thing to do? Message them? Tell everyone to vote for you? Refute their argument from the previous round as if nothing had happened?
3) Is it okay to give all 7 points of your vote to the person who you felt was the better debater or do you need to follow the guidelines (Conduct, Sources etc) very strictly?
4) Any other unspoken rules?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 4:21:48 AM
At 7/31/2011 3:34:01 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
1) If you see a topic you are interested in but others are commenting on it saying that they might take it, is it okay to take it or should you wait and see if the commenters take it?
First come first served. If you want it take it, but if it's a sought after debate do the best job you can because chances are more people will be reading your debate.

2) If your opponent forfeits a round, what is the best thing to do? Message them? Tell everyone to vote for you? Refute their argument from the previous round as if nothing had happened?
Yeah, just hold your last round's argument. If they forfiet in the second round and continue to forfiet the debate isn't counted, but if they just missed the deadline, go on as if nothing happened.

3) Is it okay to give all 7 points of your vote to the person who you felt was the better debater or do you need to follow the guidelines (Conduct, Sources etc) very strictly?
Yes, they are strictly respected, and 7 points without justification is poor etiquette, and done with malice is considered votebombing, and that's very bad behavior here. Integrity in voting is as important as integrity in debating.
Never open a new argument in your final post particularly if you are con, that's really poor etiquette.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 4:26:51 AM
At 7/31/2011 4:21:48 AM, innomen wrote:
At 7/31/2011 3:34:01 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
First come first served. If you want it take it, but if it's a sought after debate do the best job you can because chances are more people will be reading your debate.

Yeah, just hold your last round's argument. If they forfiet in the second round and continue to forfiet the debate isn't counted, but if they just missed the deadline, go on as if nothing happened.

Yes, they are strictly respected, and 7 points without justification is poor etiquette, and done with malice is considered votebombing, and that's very bad behavior here. Integrity in voting is as important as integrity in debating.
Never open a new argument in your final post particularly if you are con, that's really poor etiquette.

Thanks for the reply. That really helps.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 4:12:07 PM
I'd disagree with Innomen's 4th, though I've caught a lotta hell for it. Then again, I also consider stuff in the comments section to count, so it evens out.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 10:05:21 PM
innomen is on target, but I have a few comments.

When you opponent forfeits, make sure you have made your case and have rebutted all your opponents arguments. I have seen debates where an argument fatal to a case was left unanswered, so even though the guy forfeited later rounds, he won arguments. There is no harm in piling on arguments. If your opponent returns, he faces all your arguments.

I think a debater who says nothing loses spelling and grammar to one who makes a case. That category covers communication ability, and saying about-nothing fails.

Vote bombing to counter someone's previous vote bomb is, I think, okay.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 11:20:54 PM
At 7/31/2011 10:05:21 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
innomen is on target, but I have a few comments.

When you opponent forfeits, make sure you have made your case and have rebutted all your opponents arguments. I have seen debates where an argument fatal to a case was left unanswered, so even though the guy forfeited later rounds, he won arguments. There is no harm in piling on arguments. If your opponent returns, he faces all your arguments.

I think a debater who says nothing loses spelling and grammar to one who makes a case. That category covers communication ability, and saying about-nothing fails.

Vote bombing to counter someone's previous vote bomb is, I think, okay.

This