Jump to topic:

Concede & Conduct

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 9:45:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it shows better conduct to concede a debate you are genuinely convinced about. People shouldn't lose conduct for concession. After all, why do we debate? To prove which point or position is superior on issues. Why waste my time reading someone's half-baked arguments because he doesn't want to forfeit? It shows humility and good sportsmanship to tell your opponent that you are convinced, and I think that action should be more honored in the voting system. Agree?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 9:49:27 PM
At 8/1/2011 9:45:20 PM, 000ike wrote:
I think it shows better conduct to concede a debate you are genuinely convinced about. People shouldn't lose conduct for concession. After all, why do we debate? To prove which point or position is superior on issues. Why waste my time reading someone's half-baked arguments because he doesn't want to forfeit? It shows humility and good sportsmanship to tell your opponent that you are convinced, and I think that action should be more honored in the voting system. Agree?

Not really. A debate is a short exercise to prove your point at all costs - like playing a sport. Another way of looking at them is like a scientific experiment... when we know that both sides tried their absolute best, then we can analyze the results of the debate and draw our own conclusions. If one side concedes and stops contributing, then the exercise is a waste. In the comments section, one can talk about being convinced after the fact.

On the other hand, in the forums, we're just trying to find truth - so your arguments are well-placed in this environment.
Rob
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 10:29:51 PM
You're supposed to stand for your position in a debate now matter how bad you may be winning.

In highschools, the judge throws out a topic and the debaters flip a coin for the Pro and Con.

It doesn't matter what you believe in, you have to debate for your side.

Agreeing with your opponent in a organized debate is more out of place than resorting to hand to hand combat in a game of laser tag.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 10:30:31 PM
At 8/1/2011 10:29:51 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
You're supposed to stand for your position in a debate now matter how bad you may be losing.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 10:35:58 PM
Honestly does it really matter? If you are losing in convincing arguments, your not exactly going to win the debate anyways, so who cares If you get conduct points.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:02:27 PM
You're supposed to stand for your position in a debate now matter how bad you may be winning.

In highschools, the judge throws out a topic and the debaters flip a coin for the Pro and Con.

It doesn't matter what you believe in, you have to debate for your side.

Agreeing with your opponent in a organized debate is more out of place than resorting to hand to hand combat in a game of laser tag.

Voiced my thoughts.

Debate: Test on persuasion skills
Forums: Learning
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:51:00 PM

Out of place? Maybe. Worth it?

Ever play with those little 5 year olds that run around following you with a laser gun?

Sometimes rules need to be bent dammit.