Jump to topic:

Endless voting

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 5:56:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
how important is endless voting? Do we really need debates to have voting periods that are open for 3+ years? Sure, keeping the debates on record so that they are viewable and readable for future generations of DDO'ers is wonderful, but does the voting really need to be open forever?

If we were limited to a maximum of 3 month voting periods, would anyone really notice or care?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 6:11:39 PM
At 8/2/2011 6:08:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Actually, I don't see why any of them need a limit.

Do you see any reason either direction? Or just completely apethetic on the issue?
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 6:40:25 PM
At 8/2/2011 5:56:03 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

If we were limited to a maximum of 3 month voting periods, would anyone really notice or care?

Yeah. It's mildly annoying when debates with shorter periods finish and are decided by unfair votes, like this one :) http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 6:56:17 PM
At 8/2/2011 6:40:25 PM, feverish wrote:

Yeah. It's mildly annoying when debates with shorter periods finish and are decided by unfair votes, like this one :) http://www.debate.org...

Understandable, but would a longer time frame have changed that?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:36:14 PM
I'm against infinite voting periods. It leaves open the possibility that someone will necro-vote on it, or vote on a debate that one member has been winning for several months or years, and change the outcome. Then somebody wakes up one day to find that they're losing a debate they had been winning for 6 months. I've seen this happen to several top members. Cliff Stamp and Spinko were big necro-voters when they were here.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 12:33:35 AM
how important is endless voting? Do we really need debates to have voting periods that are open for 3+ years? Sure, keeping the debates on record so that they are viewable and readable for future generations of DDO'ers is wonderful, but does the voting really need to be open forever?

There's less incentive for people to read debates they can't vote on - the site gets less traffic when debaters set shorter voting periods.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 1:09:22 AM
At 8/3/2011 12:33:35 AM, bluesteel wrote:

There's less incentive for people to read debates they can't vote on - the site gets less traffic when debaters set shorter voting periods.

I find it hard to believe that people read a debate just to vote. I don't think it's that much of an incentive. I usually read a debate because I think its interesting, and then vote on it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 1:15:27 AM
At 8/2/2011 6:11:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/2/2011 6:08:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Actually, I don't see why any of them need a limit.

Do you see any reason either direction? Or just completely apethetic on the issue?

Probably apathetic. No reason for it to be introduced in the first place and no reason to take it away.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 2:51:22 AM

People can vote on the more recent debates, new members such as myself could not care less about the debates of the past whether open to voting or not. I care about the issues of the past, but not the debates members had in the past. What gives traffic to ANY website is a chatroom. The more interaction with members, the more fun and popular the site, hence the success of facebook, chess.com, and ratemydrawings.com.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
VocMusTcrMaloy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 1:34:58 PM

The default needs to be re-set to a finite period of time that is moderately long; rather than "indefinite." I would think that most indefinite debates are by new members, because of the default.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 1:36:34 PM
At 8/3/2011 1:34:58 PM, VocMusTcrMaloy wrote:

The default needs to be re-set to a finite period of time that is moderately long; rather than "indefinite." I would think that most indefinite debates are by new members, because of the default.

most likely, though it may be needed to remove for "indefinite" option all together for ELO to work (either that, or have only weekly or monthly updates).