Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Debate that will annoy you.

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 10:25:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I find the following debate an outrage: http://www.debate.org...

The instigator made a well thought out argument that showed obvious applied time and effort. In return the contender wrote nonsense in 3 second keyboard spasms wasting the guys time, energy, and words.

Can there be some kind of consequence for this behavior beyond just losing the debate? I think there should be.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 10:39:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Punishment: the instigator won and can always reinitiate the same debate if he still wants to have a real debate on it.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 10:40:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/10/2011 10:39:17 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Punishment: the instigator won and can always reinitiate the same debate if he still wants to have a real debate on it.

"...consequence for this behavior beyond just losing the debate..."
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 10:47:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is an outrage since the instigator spend much time preparing his well-thought out argument, which included, as part of the defense for the resolution: quotes from a variety of sources to demonstrate the history of the saying, 'The pen is mightier than the sword', how one should adhere to this saying, and even the power of the words and messages conveyed by the pen. In response, the contender completely disregards Pro's arguments by writing a redundant argument and failed to address little, if not none, of his opponent's arguments.

The best way to punish the contender is to have the instigator block him from taking his debate. I have done that with several members who show no incentive to debate or even participate in a rational discussion in a debate. What do you say, 00ike?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 10:56:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/10/2011 10:47:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
It is an outrage since the instigator spend much time preparing his well-thought out argument, which included, as part of the defense for the resolution: quotes from a variety of sources to demonstrate the history of the saying, 'The pen is mightier than the sword', how one should adhere to this saying, and even the power of the words and messages conveyed by the pen. In response, the contender completely disregards Pro's arguments by writing a redundant argument and failed to address little, if not none, of his opponent's arguments.

The best way to punish the contender is to have the instigator block him from taking his debate. I have done that with several members who show no incentive to debate or even participate in a rational discussion in a debate. What do you say, 00ike?

How do you block someone from doing that?
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 11:02:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/10/2011 10:56:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
How do you block someone from doing that?

Go to their profile and click on where it says, "Block this person".

It should then give you a checklist of what you wish to block that person from doing, one of which is accepting your debate challenges.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2011 11:03:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/10/2011 10:56:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/10/2011 10:47:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
It is an outrage since the instigator spend much time preparing his well-thought out argument, which included, as part of the defense for the resolution: quotes from a variety of sources to demonstrate the history of the saying, 'The pen is mightier than the sword', how one should adhere to this saying, and even the power of the words and messages conveyed by the pen. In response, the contender completely disregards Pro's arguments by writing a redundant argument and failed to address little, if not none, of his opponent's arguments.

The best way to punish the contender is to have the instigator block him from taking his debate. I have done that with several members who show no incentive to debate or even participate in a rational discussion in a debate. What do you say, 00ike?

How do you block someone from doing that?
Well, usually under a member's photo, you see Add as friend, Add to my Favorites, Block this Person, and so forth on the member's profile. If you click on 'Block this Person', you will see a text box, with an optional reason for the ban, as well to the specific conditions of the ban (whether you want to block the member from a) requesting to be your friend b) sending you a PM c) posting on your profile and so forth).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 12:14:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
it happened again! http://www.debate.org...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
GThomas
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 6:11:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Same thing happened to me. I spent hours typing that. He went to the comments, selected text, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.
If ignorance is bliss, I want to be miserable.