Jump to topic:

Arguments 4 points

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 2:50:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I propose that the argument category count as 4 points rather than the 3 points it is now.

Yay or Nay ?

If neither what alternative would you rather see.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 3:23:02 AM
At 8/13/2011 2:50:56 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I propose that the argument category count as 4 points rather than the 3 points it is now.

Yay or Nay ?

If neither what alternative would you rather see.

My alternative would be voters being able to split the three points as they wish. So, 2-1 for example would mean that Pro had only a slightly better argument. 3-0 would means a much more convincing argument.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 4:02:52 AM
If we can split the points, I say arguments should be 4 or 5 points. Probably 4 or 6 points so if some one thinks they are pretty much even they can split it 2 or 3 points each.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 4:16:50 AM
I don't care, so long as convincing argument is worth the most.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 7:49:35 AM
I don't think it makes much of a difference as long as the voting system places greatest emphasis on argumentation. In this respect, I agree with 00ike's judgement.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2011 9:34:02 AM
The other categories encourage quality debating here, and de-emphasizing them would de-emphasize quality. A good debater here should have good spelling, conduct, and sources, and otherwise, he deserves to lose.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2011 1:00:04 PM
At 8/13/2011 9:34:02 AM, wjmelements wrote:
The other categories encourage quality debating here, and de-emphasizing them would de-emphasize quality. A good debater here should have good spelling, conduct, and sources, and otherwise, he deserves to lose.

Very good point.

The only thing I would change is to make sources 1 pt and make spelling and grammar 2 points, emphasizing spelling, grammar, structure, and presentation.

So I guess that would be a Nay.