Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Site needs a Chat Room

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 1:57:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?

Agreed, I second that! And chatrooms should definitely be in addition to the forums, not replace the forums.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 2:01:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I agree, chat room.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 2:02:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lets start a petition.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 7:44:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've seen chat diminish the amount of traffic on debates and the forums on other websites to the point where they had to shut down the chat function.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
inferno
Posts: 10,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 8:07:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?

000ike. This site is a chat room. And that is perfectly fine by me and others here today. You seem to be a bit selective about how this site should be handled........
Maybe you need a troll to knock that chip of your shoulder. Oh Im sorry, it looks like you already have a lump in your brain. Anyway, websites that do have chat rooms are very successful much more so than Deabate.org. Noone wants to sit and debate all day long about boring stuff, so they talk about life in general.
That is why we have a miscellaneous category to start with. And a persoanl one, too.
So since you are not in the real world, then maybe you can come up with a site yourself. And you can name it Nerds R Us.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:06:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 8:07:57 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?

000ike. This site is a chat room. And that is perfectly fine by me and others here today. You seem to be a bit selective about how this site should be handled........
Maybe you need a troll to knock that chip of your shoulder. Oh Im sorry, it looks like you already have a lump in your brain. Anyway, websites that do have chat rooms are very successful much more so than Deabate.org. Noone wants to sit and debate all day long about boring stuff, so they talk about life in general.
That is why we have a miscellaneous category to start with. And a persoanl one, too.
So since you are not in the real world, then maybe you can come up with a site yourself. And you can name it Nerds R Us.

Look, I don't have time, patience, or tolerance for you. If you're going to act like an @ss, then go away.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
inferno
Posts: 10,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:11:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:06:59 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/15/2011 8:07:57 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?

000ike. This site is a chat room. And that is perfectly fine by me and others here today. You seem to be a bit selective about how this site should be handled........
Maybe you need a troll to knock that chip of your shoulder. Oh Im sorry, it looks like you already have a lump in your brain. Anyway, websites that do have chat rooms are very successful much more so than Deabate.org. Noone wants to sit and debate all day long about boring stuff, so they talk about life in general.
That is why we have a miscellaneous category to start with. And a persoanl one, too.
So since you are not in the real world, then maybe you can come up with a site yourself. And you can name it Nerds R Us.


Look, I don't have time, patience, or tolerance for you. If you're going to act like an @ss, then go away.

You already have taken the time to respond and that reflects some measure of patience regardless of how minute it was. Tolerance is irrelevent. Acting like an
@ss. That is your job and you do it quite well I must add.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:13:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:11:27 AM, inferno wrote:
Look, I don't have time, patience, or tolerance for you. If you're going to act like an @ss, then go away.

You already have taken the time to respond and that reflects some measure of patience regardless of how minute it was. Tolerance is irrelevent. Acting like an
@ss. That is your job and you do it quite well I must add.

Will you please stop posting in my thread? I'm not interested in conversing with you.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 10:21:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 1:40:16 AM, 000ike wrote:
This website is practically about people talking and interacting, there really should be a chatroom.

- It would keep the forums a little less trolled, they'd probably migrate to the chatroom (where they'd more easily be ignored)

Probably not. They'd go where they get the most attention, not where they are more easily ignored.


- it would probably create more traffic to the website. Nearly all websites with a community that also have a chatroom are very successful. Just look at facebook. Take the chatroom out of facebook and it would be just as unknown as pennies.com.

False. Facebook is not big because it has a chatroom, it has a chatroom because it is big. Every site our size that has tried a chatroom has had it fail. If the site becomes so big and threads move so fast that it is hard to have an indepth conversation (since by the time you post your well thoughtout, sourced post, 15 other posts have buried the original), then a chatroom would be good to focus the types of conversations so that intellectual conversations won't get drowned out.


- It would make the website more fun. Debates are time consuming and there's a lot of waiting involved. As a result most members probably spend a lot of time elsewhere while their awaiting a response.

This site is addicting enough, no need to add nicotine to your crack.


- It would provide members with a faster and more efficient method of communication

- it would open the door to easy impromptu debates. (maybe there can be rooms where 2 people debate and other people can view the debate, but can't speak)

- What's there to lose, because there is plenty to gain.

Agree?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:16:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 10:13:37 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/15/2011 10:11:27 AM, inferno wrote:
Look, I don't have time, patience, or tolerance for you. If you're going to act like an @ss, then go away.

You already have taken the time to respond and that reflects some measure of patience regardless of how minute it was. Tolerance is irrelevent. Acting like an
@ss. That is your job and you do it quite well I must add.


Will you please stop posting in my thread? I'm not interested in conversing with you.

Nope, Your thread just got troll-jacked.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:18:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
00ike, remember the saying, "Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris", or in its more pithy form, 'Misery loves company'....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:33:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
For entirely selfish reasons, I hope we don't get a chat.

This site draws enough of my attention, if people are constantly replying to me instead of making me wait on a forum, I'll never get work done.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:43:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:33:46 AM, Wnope wrote:
For entirely selfish reasons, I hope we don't get a chat.

This site draws enough of my attention, if people are constantly replying to me instead of making me wait on a forum, I'll never get work done.

As I said, "This site is addicting enough, no need to add nicotine to your crack."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:45:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
We don't really need to have a chat room, though I do wish we had a more efficient way to handle messages from different members (like on Facebook), but that is irrelevant.

This site already draws attention through several members, with its emphasis on intellectuality (debates) and expression (forums). It allows communication between individuals of different countries and even room for friendship and relationship to prosper. And those are only two of its many assets and good properties...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 4:31:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Chatango anyone? http://chatango.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.