Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

High School kids on this board.

izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:04:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take
Really? Name a course that is chiefly based on 'logic' and 'critical thinking' (as its sole subject) in high school.

yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue.
You probably meant 'feel' not 'fill'....and probably might want to retract that statement about 'fallacies and logic' about the high schoolers here. They've shown a sense of maturity that is quite absent from your comments.

Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.
I have already used the term 'prerequisite'. Asking people to take entire logic courses before logic discussions is a sign of vanity...Are you so educated in reasoning and so logically-adequate to be priviledged enough to demand others to follow your bidding?
"The stupidity speaks for itself."--Izbo10
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:05:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think some high schools offer critical thinking classes now. Even so, it is not a prerequisite for voting, nor do I see why it should be. Knowledge can be gained outside of a classroom environment.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:09:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:05:51 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I think some high schools offer critical thinking classes now. Even so, it is not a prerequisite for voting, nor do I see why it should be. Knowledge can be gained outside of a classroom environment.

High school? Critical thinking?

Impossible.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:11:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:04:42 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take
Really? Name a course that is chiefly based on 'logic' and 'critical thinking' (as its sole subject) in high school.

yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue.
You probably meant 'feel' not 'fill'....and probably might want to retract that statement about 'fallacies and logic' about the high schoolers here. They've shown a sense of maturity that is quite absent from your comments.

Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.
I have already used the term 'prerequisite'. Asking people to take entire logic courses before logic discussions is a sign of vanity...Are you so educated in reasoning and so logically-adequate to be priviledged enough to demand others to follow your bidding?
"The stupidity speaks for itself."--Izbo10
Yeah little boy in about 10 years from now mommy might let you have a few drinks before typing that as I have, the amazing part is after a few beers I am still far wiser then you will ever be.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:13:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:09:21 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:05:51 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I think some high schools offer critical thinking classes now. Even so, it is not a prerequisite for voting, nor do I see why it should be. Knowledge can be gained outside of a classroom environment.

High school? Critical thinking?

Impossible.

Yeah, it is. I remembered reading about that a while ago, but a Google search I just did shows that it was just the idea of critical thinking in high schools that I read about. Sorry for the misinformation.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:14:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:11:44 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yeah little boy in about 10 years from now mommy might let you have a few drinks before typing that as I have, the amazing part is after a few beers I am still far wiser then you will ever be.

I don't know how a wiser person can go around calling younger, and junior, members 'little boy' and insult them about their relationship with mommy and a 'few drinks' (if it is to be taken in an inappropriate meaning....Izbo10)....

A wise person wouldn't assume that he is so full of knowledge. Didn't Socrates say, 'The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.'? Did you not learn from his conversations with poets, politicians, statesmen, and craftsmen?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:29:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What do you have against highschool kids. Most of us are far more intelligent than yourself? Feeling outranked?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 11:42:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:11:44 PM, izbo10 wrote:
Yeah little boy in about 10 years from now mommy might let you have a few drinks before typing that as I have, the amazing part is after a few beers I am still far wiser then you will ever be.

lol, a holier-than-thou atheist
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:14:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
While it is true that the site has a large number of high school students, many of them are very intelligent and debate competitively with adults. As a recent college graduate, I was surprised at their maturity and logical thinking which I would never have expected from high school students if I hadn't been on DDO. On this site, I've come to understand, it doesn't matter what your age or education level is, only how well you can argue, debate and contribute to the community. I'll have to respectfully disagree with Izbo10. Cheers to all the high schoolers!
nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 1:17:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 12:14:33 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
While it is true that the site has a large number of high school students, many of them are very intelligent and debate competitively with adults. As a recent college graduate, I was surprised at their maturity and logical thinking which I would never have expected from high school students if I hadn't been on DDO. On this site, I've come to understand, it doesn't matter what your age or education level is, only how well you can argue, debate and contribute to the community. I'll have to respectfully disagree with Izbo10. Cheers to all the high schoolers!

YAY :D
HIGH SCHOOLERS!!!!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 5:44:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

This is pathetic coming from you. I've never taken a course in logic or critical thinking but I was able to acquire both, regardless of what courses you have taken you have yet to acquire a familiarity with either. Also you are being humiliated by these high school kids that you are attacking.

Would you like to explain how the definition of morality has no bearing on the problem of evil?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
truthseeker613
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 8:13:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

Feh... that was a terrible debate. You pretty much concede at one point, your opponent largely ignores the resolution.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Hello-Orange
Posts: 81
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 8:38:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

Herp derp, I'm just an unedumaketed high schooler. Herpa Derpa Derpa.
Hello-Orange
Posts: 81
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 8:55:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You know, this thread is actually legitimately offensive, congratulations.

Critical thinking is a skill gained by thought, and reasoning; not something gained by age. To think such a ridiculous thing and as assert that one must grow older before they are mentally able to think in complex ways is not only in and of itself an utter fallacy, but when you make such a claim, you only go to reveal your own lack of critical thinking skills and logic.

I realize you're a troll, so I guess I can't be too irked by this, but anyone of any level of intellect ought to to realize that critical thinking skills, and logic are things you gain by practice and not age. Growing older does not cured one of their ignorance, it has only given them an excuse ignore it and mistake it for wisdom.

Where as when stuck in such a system, the ingenuity and ideas of the youth are ignored and overlooked by matters of simple apathy. It's no wonder that so many of today's young are slipping through the cracks of society when ignorant people simply dismiss their thoughts and opinions for bitter and jaded, self-righteous dribble. Why on earth would they want to excel or take part in something greater than themselves when those that should supposedly be their mentors, and intellectual superiors think of them so poorly.

It's not the high school kids on this site that cause problems, no we're here because we love knowledge. It's ignorant and sour people like you who destroy the intellectual integrity of this site.
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:12:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

HEY WHORE
That was my vote, and you were REALLY Abusive.
Come talk to me next time if you got a problem with the way i vote.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:15:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

Why do you insist on complaining about voting issues and 'unfair advantages in the debating system'?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:20:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

That's an appeal to seniority if I ever saw one.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:24:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

Lol, is about all I can say to this. You decide to go and attack age because there are some high schoolers (namely Man-is-Good) who best you in logic, and YOU can't handle that. After all, even though someone else used the Socrates quote, it completely rings true. The wisest and smartest definitely tend to be those who think they don't know much.

So, I see humbleness another quality which you lack, izbo10.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
truthseeker613
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:56:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 9:12:11 AM, Cobo wrote:
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

HEY WHORE
That was my vote, and you were REALLY Abusive.
Come talk to me next time if you got a problem with the way i vote.

Please state my abuses.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:58:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 5:44:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

This is pathetic coming from you. I've never taken a course in logic or critical thinking but I was able to acquire both, regardless of what courses you have taken you have yet to acquire a familiarity with either. Also you are being humiliated by these high school kids that you are attacking.

Would you like to explain how the definition of morality has no bearing on the problem of evil?

This admission says a lot, you have never taken a logic or critical thinking course, while i have taken many and the lowest grade I got was a 96% in college in those courses, strange though that most of the other students like yourself thought they were good at it, until they struggled to avoid failing.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:04:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 11:58:46 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/16/2011 5:44:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

This is pathetic coming from you. I've never taken a course in logic or critical thinking but I was able to acquire both, regardless of what courses you have taken you have yet to acquire a familiarity with either. Also you are being humiliated by these high school kids that you are attacking.

Would you like to explain how the definition of morality has no bearing on the problem of evil?


This admission says a lot, you have never taken a logic or critical thinking course, while i have taken many and the lowest grade I got was a 96% in college in those courses, strange though that most of the other students like yourself thought they were good at it, until they struggled to avoid failing.

Then why do you have no critical thinking skills? Why am I more intelligent than you in every single way? Why does my signature exist? Why do you not understand basic concepts that we try to teach you?

You can't mock someone for not taking a course, you can mock someone for being ignorant. You are seriously mocking me because I lack formal education in a subject that you have taken courses in, yet I still trounce you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:06:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 11:58:46 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/16/2011 5:44:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

This is pathetic coming from you. I've never taken a course in logic or critical thinking but I was able to acquire both, regardless of what courses you have taken you have yet to acquire a familiarity with either. Also you are being humiliated by these high school kids that you are attacking.

Would you like to explain how the definition of morality has no bearing on the problem of evil?


This admission says a lot, you have never taken a logic or critical thinking course, while i have taken many and the lowest grade I got was a 96% in college in those courses, strange though that most of the other students like yourself thought they were good at it, until they struggled to avoid failing.

I see your hubris knows no bounds, Izbo.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:07:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 11:58:46 AM, izbo10 wrote:
At 8/16/2011 5:44:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/15/2011 11:00:13 PM, izbo10 wrote:
It is truly sad the number of high school kids on this site, they vote on debates when they are a good 3 or 4 years from even potentially being exposed to logic and critical thinking as a course they can actually take, yet these morons fill justified discussing fallacies and logic as if they have the first clue. Take a single college course in logic before discussing those things ok people. It should be a prerequisite, another term you will learn as your education expands, until then stick with algebra 1, your not ready for logic.

This is pathetic coming from you. I've never taken a course in logic or critical thinking but I was able to acquire both, regardless of what courses you have taken you have yet to acquire a familiarity with either. Also you are being humiliated by these high school kids that you are attacking.

Would you like to explain how the definition of morality has no bearing on the problem of evil?


This admission says a lot, you have never taken a logic or critical thinking course
I suppose you never read the fact that Cerebral obtained both logic or critical thinking through experience, not by academic courses.

while i have taken many and the lowest grade I got was a 96% in college in those courses, strange though that most of the other students like yourself thought they were good at it, until they struggled to avoid failing.
Excellent, Izbo10...you have an unrealistic expectations of the promises of academic life. So let me ask you this: how do you know that academic performance correlates with real-life/actual faculties and skill?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:09:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Izbo10<---L' uomo altezzoso, di che arroganza e senza i confini....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:17:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 11:56:54 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
At 8/16/2011 9:12:11 AM, Cobo wrote:
At 8/16/2011 7:20:23 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:
Aside from the personal insults which don't belong here, this is a very important topic that has been on my mind for a while now.
My opinion is that both sides are correct. There are a # f highly talented and capable high schoolers on this site, and their participation adds greatly.
On the other hand there are a # of incompetent ones, that while should be allowed to participate in all aspects of the site, should not be voting. I can show this to be true with the following example.

<a>http://www.debate.org...

I am focusing on the voting section. Note those who voted in favor of con were 2 of the senior, well known and well respected debaters on ddo, cliff. stamp and Roy lathem. Both of them voted in my favor and gave detailed reasons for doing so. Despite this con lost the debate bec. some kids didn't have the intellectual comprehension and logic skills to understand the debate.

This being said their should be some way of limiting who votes. Now the simplest way of doing this would be a minimum age, as in governmental voting. This however is an inaccurate and unfair standard as it excludes some of those who are capable. Some standard is sorely needed the main question is how to go about doing so.

HEY WHORE
That was my vote, and you were REALLY Abusive.
Come talk to me next time if you got a problem with the way i vote.

Please state my abuses.

1.A ONE WORD Rebuttal REALLY? If it's a five round debate you should start in the second round. I think Con was Was being polite
2.You were trying to argue from two standpoints
3.You made assumptions like crazy. Example
"Life continues better in a moral society"
HOW does it? Do you have any sources to show this? NO, okay then its not even an argument.
Check out your point B
"...I assume..."
4.You gave that entire debate to your opponent
5.You could have provided much longer an detailed responses
6.No sources and tried to make points about a society.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:18:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 12:09:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Izbo10<---L' uomo altezzoso, di che arroganza e senza i confini....

Speaking another language again ?
More self depreciating behavior.
Look everyone, I can speak another language.
I am smarter than everyone here. He, he.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:21:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 12:18:16 PM, inferno wrote:
At 8/16/2011 12:09:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Izbo10<---L' uomo altezzoso, di che arroganza e senza i confini....

Speaking another language again ?
Yes. Inferno<---Il bufone, che sempre fingeva per essere un predicatore religioso
More self depreciating behavior.
No, my point was to mock Izbo10's for his hubris and arrogance, and now you for the dishonesty of your 'Christian' views.
Look everyone, I can speak another language.
I suppose gibberish is another language as well...well done, Inferno.
I am smarter than everyone here. He, he.
Nope. That assertion has no justififcation or source to validate it.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:24:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 12:21:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/16/2011 12:18:16 PM, inferno wrote:
At 8/16/2011 12:09:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Izbo10<---L' uomo altezzoso, di che arroganza e senza i confini....

Speaking another language again ?
Yes. Inferno<---Il bufone, che sempre fingeva per essere un predicatore religioso
More self depreciating behavior.
No, my point was to mock Izbo10's for his hubris and arrogance, and now you for the dishonesty of your 'Christian' views.
Look everyone, I can speak another language.
I suppose gibberish is another language as well...well done, Inferno.
I am smarter than everyone here. He, he.
Nope. That assertion has no justififcation or source to validate it.

Man Is Good. Please go back to being funny again. Now youre just ridiculous.