Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Anti-Troll Tech

Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:06:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One nice complement, if not replacement, to banning DDO trolls is to spread a community-wide understanding of how to deal with trolls.

If you think you have some underlying theory or idea concerning neutralizing trolls, post them. Alternatively, if you find examples of threads where it seems that a troll's ability to move conversation was neutralized, post it.

By "neutralizing" I mean taking away the attention and message from the troll. One great example is how this thread (http://www.debate.org...) went from extremely insulting to neutralized.

A key is understanding that trolls are seeking negative arguments and insults. Even though we may be releasing frustration, we are fulfilling the troll's hopes and expectations by replying.

Internet trolls generally are having personal doubts or problems, usually about lacking power in their life. Trolls are able to shape the discussion of an entire website onto them. By simply responding, trolls feel self-empowered.

This doesn't even mean ignoring trolls. All it means is that you should engage them in a way that shifts attention from them or their purposefully controversial stance.

To disempower a troll, you have to block the message's ability to create an emotional reaction. Recognize that the message itself is meaningless, the intent is only to get a reply.

Don't take them seriously. If their intent isn't serious, why do their comments deserve a serious or emotionally-charged rebuttal?

Other thoughts?
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:10:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Don't reply to them. Seems simple enough, but for some reason people keep respondig to them anyway. Don't feed the troll.
randolph7
Posts: 307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:37:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:10:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't reply to them. Seems simple enough, but for some reason people keep respondig to them anyway. Don't feed the troll.

I agree with BlackVoid. This technique has been used across the Internet with great success. Don't see a reason for it not to work on DDO.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
kawaii_crazy
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 6:37:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:10:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't reply to them. Seems simple enough, but for some reason people keep respondig to them anyway. Don't feed the troll.

U should feed the troll. Just agree with them and be careful with what you say.
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 7:08:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 6:37:52 PM, kawaii_crazy wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:10:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't reply to them. Seems simple enough, but for some reason people keep respondig to them anyway. Don't feed the troll.

U should feed the troll. Just agree with them and be careful with what you say.

yeah because that always works

(sarcasm)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,389
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 9:05:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:06:37 PM, Wnope wrote:
One nice complement, if not replacement, to banning DDO trolls is to spread a community-wide understanding of how to deal with trolls.

Alternatively, trolls could be ignored by those who don't want to interact with them. And those who do want to tango could be left to do it without others whining about all of what they deem "unpleasantness."

If you think you have some underlying theory or idea concerning neutralizing trolls, post them. Alternatively, if you find examples of threads where it seems that a troll's ability to move conversation was neutralized, post it.

Yes. It's very simple. Ignore them. A startlingly basic concept, I know, but it is often the simple answer which is right. Trolls only have power to the extent that you allow them to.

But, there are also those who enjoy the dance. I am one of them, as some of you know. The dance is, to me, quite entertaining. The problem with dancing, however, is that other people feel offended by what they see on the dance floor. Might I suggest that the dance floor and all its contents can be ignored. Again, a basic concept, I know.

By "neutralizing" I mean taking away the attention and message from the troll. One great example is how this thread (http://www.debate.org...) went from extremely insulting to neutralized.

Yes. But you forget that there is an even easier alternative. Ignoring. Simple as that.

A key is understanding that trolls are seeking negative arguments and insults. Even though we may be releasing frustration, we are fulfilling the troll's hopes and expectations by replying.

Groundbreaking.

Internet trolls generally are having personal doubts or problems, usually about lacking power in their life. Trolls are able to shape the discussion of an entire website onto them. By simply responding, trolls feel self-empowered.

Oh, this is clever. After framing trolls in a certain way, we are now interpreting the psychological roots of their behavior. How lovely.

This doesn't even mean ignoring trolls. All it means is that you should engage them in a way that shifts attention from them or their purposefully controversial stance.

Oh, of course.

To disempower a troll, you have to block the message's ability to create an emotional reaction. Recognize that the message itself is meaningless, the intent is only to get a reply.

Yes. Ignoring should be sufficient to that end.

Don't take them seriously. If their intent isn't serious, why do their comments deserve a serious or emotionally-charged rebuttal?

This is, perhaps, the most salient thing put forward thus far.

Other thoughts?

Several. I'll chart them below.

Recognize nonsense for what it is.

Ignore what you don't like.

Don't respond to nonsense.

Leave the rest of those who like to tango to tango.
Tsar of DDO
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:39:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wait, did you guys just seriously carry on a conversation from two years ago without any necrophila weirdness?

Wow.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:18:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:39:59 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
Wait, did you guys just seriously carry on a conversation from two years ago without any necrophila weirdness?

Wow.

No necrophilia here, sorry to disappoint you.
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:23:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:39:59 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
Wait, did you guys just seriously carry on a conversation from two years ago without any necrophila weirdness?

Wow.

well its been going on for a while and people have temporarily made peace with it....

Weird I know :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Daktoria
Posts: 497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 7:43:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A lot of trolls blame the victim in calling them trolls.

Then, the community gets intimidated, and goes along with the blaming.

You need an explicit definition of trolling before you can even start with this. Otherwise, it just becomes a popularity contest, and "trolls" become defined according to those who are ugly, not those who are rude.
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 8:06:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I see nothing wrong with trolls. Its a way of life. Trolls are there to troll people. There are many famous trolls on DDO and throughout history. It is just a simple fact: trolls can entertain us. They will entertain us. In fact, they can even educate the common man on something important and valuable. They have a meaning. That is too continue on to something and make something very valuable and special by carrying it on. There is a reason that man evolved and branched out to a section of trolls. It is because the normal or average man is just boring. There is just something wrong with mankind. We have trolls who have discovered that mankind is just lame and eventually was passed down generations and generations to come. If it wouldn't be for that, then mankind would have perished of boredom. So, therefore, we need trolls. Many trolls don't want to feel like they have been excommunicated from the Pope and the people. They want to feel special as a way to teach everyone what they should try to think outside of the box. They would help man create creatively, think thoughtfully, imagine imaginatively, and feel like a boss. This is a message. It is to carry on the special passage of being into the one for those who will soon understand it and eventually for those who will eventually understand the true meaning of life.
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
kawaii_crazy
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 8:25:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:10:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't reply to them. Seems simple enough, but for some reason people keep responding to them anyway. Don't feed the troll.

This never works. The troll just keeps on coming back until the person is driven of the edge and responds with something stupid. Example of good way to respond to a troll:
"You suck."
"I know."
"You really just said that?"
"Yup, I did. Just look up there."
"You're an idiot."
"Yes, you are."
Get it?
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
Daktoria
Posts: 497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 8:01:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 8:06:50 PM, yay842 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with trolls. Its a way of life. Trolls are there to troll people. There are many famous trolls on DDO and throughout history. It is just a simple fact: trolls can entertain us. They will entertain us. In fact, they can even educate the common man on something important and valuable. They have a meaning. That is too continue on to something and make something very valuable and special by carrying it on. There is a reason that man evolved and branched out to a section of trolls. It is because the normal or average man is just boring. There is just something wrong with mankind. We have trolls who have discovered that mankind is just lame and eventually was passed down generations and generations to come. If it wouldn't be for that, then mankind would have perished of boredom. So, therefore, we need trolls. Many trolls don't want to feel like they have been excommunicated from the Pope and the people. They want to feel special as a way to teach everyone what they should try to think outside of the box. They would help man create creatively, think thoughtfully, imagine imaginatively, and feel like a boss. This is a message. It is to carry on the special passage of being into the one for those who will soon understand it and eventually for those who will eventually understand the true meaning of life.

...except trolls infringe upon the way of life of others.

What you said is like saying we should tolerate harassment because harassing is a way of life despite how harassers harass the way of life of others.

Was that your point - to deliberately be self-contradicting in expecting others to correct you before being willing to make sense?
lannan13
Posts: 23,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:38:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 8:01:44 AM, Daktoria wrote:
At 10/14/2013 8:06:50 PM, yay842 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with trolls. Its a way of life. Trolls are there to troll people. There are many famous trolls on DDO and throughout history. It is just a simple fact: trolls can entertain us. They will entertain us. In fact, they can even educate the common man on something important and valuable. They have a meaning. That is too continue on to something and make something very valuable and special by carrying it on. There is a reason that man evolved and branched out to a section of trolls. It is because the normal or average man is just boring. There is just something wrong with mankind. We have trolls who have discovered that mankind is just lame and eventually was passed down generations and generations to come. If it wouldn't be for that, then mankind would have perished of boredom. So, therefore, we need trolls. Many trolls don't want to feel like they have been excommunicated from the Pope and the people. They want to feel special as a way to teach everyone what they should try to think outside of the box. They would help man create creatively, think thoughtfully, imagine imaginatively, and feel like a boss. This is a message. It is to carry on the special passage of being into the one for those who will soon understand it and eventually for those who will eventually understand the true meaning of life.

...except trolls infringe upon the way of life of others.

What you said is like saying we should tolerate harassment because harassing is a way of life despite how harassers harass the way of life of others.

Was that your point - to deliberately be self-contradicting in expecting others to correct you before being willing to make sense?

except for the following: Imabench, Lannan13, and MassiveDump. Have a nice day.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~