Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Anti-Troll Crusaders Fail

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:16:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

/Like
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:20:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gonna have to agree with you here.

Also, like I have said before, talking about the site as opposed to things the site was made for is counter-productive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:20:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:20:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Gonna have to agree with you here.

Also, like I have said before, talking about the site as opposed to things the site was made for is counter-productive.

That is, if more of it is being done than the other.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:21:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

That's not the point, the point is that these "Trolls" are destroying the cite's reputation.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:24:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:21:58 PM, wierdman wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

That's not the point, the point is that these "Trolls" are destroying the cite's reputation.

And all the attention we give them is helping?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:24:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:21:58 PM, wierdman wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

That's not the point, the point is that these "Trolls" are destroying the cite's reputation.

They aren't a problem if people stop letting them become a problem. Trolling is psychological, they mess with you to provoke a reaction. If nobody cares, there are no trolls.
ryan_thomas
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:25:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

I agree
All Hail Lord Ryan!
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:26:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:24:17 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:21:58 PM, wierdman wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

That's not the point, the point is that these "Trolls" are destroying the cite's reputation.

They aren't a problem if people stop letting them become a problem. Trolling is psychological, they mess with you to provoke a reaction. If nobody cares, there are no trolls.

i do agree.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 10:29:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

If you are kind enough to read the topic that you are countering, you'll notice that I don't suggest any such thing.

Neutralization of a troll is how you continue serious debate and disincentivize them from communicating solely for attention.

What you seem to suggest is that when someone makes a forum topic saying "I need to educate you all about logic" that we should engage in a serious reply?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:07:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:29:10 PM, Wnope wrote:

What you seem to suggest is that when someone makes a forum topic saying "I need to educate you all about logic" that we should engage in a serious reply?

He's not saying that at all. He is making a simple point that feeding and complaining about trolls is just as unproductive as trolling. The members who spend all their time here engaging them turn around and complain that they should be banned. Yet these trolls would not even be worth talking about if it was not for these members constantly engaging them.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:54:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

I agree with this to a point. When anyone on this site engages in biased vote bombing, and is intent on disrupting honest debates a line has been crossed. I'm really tolerant of a lot of stuff, but there is a level of integrity on our debates that must be maintained otherwise we become a joke. Izbo has made it clear when he came here that he would vote against any theist despite the content of the debate. That's really not cool, and it's something that we shouldn't tolerate. He has been spoken to but seems to be reverting back to his old ways.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:14:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

To be sure there is some entertainment value in their presence? Yesterday you were on top of your game like never before.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:35:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:29:10 PM, Wnope wrote:
If you are kind enough to read the topic that you are countering, you'll notice that I don't suggest any such thing.

I wasn't countering your thread. I had typed my thread before I saw yours. It's just a coincidence that they both have "Anti-Troll" in the title.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

I believe Izbo has brought up many valid arguments that people simply ignore because he sprinkles them with ad homs. But just because there's ad homs here and there doesn't mean his argument is non-existent, people just choose to ignore his arguments. Inferno on the other hand does nothing but bare assertions, but he creates topics of debate and at least contributes some, however, his argument and persuasive skills are very weak.

Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

My thread was neither of those. I merely expressed that conversing with you was frustrating. Frustration =/= butthurt.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:45:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So long as we're talking on a matter of approaching issues, don't you find it a little contradictory that you made a thread complaining about anti-troll crusaders who make threads complaining about trolls? At first I thought Izbo or Inferno made this thread upon reading the title. Directly talking to the people you speak of puts more power to your cause than making a thread about it, further glorifying the problem.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:50:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 3:14:23 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.

No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

To be sure there is some entertainment value in their presence? Yesterday you were on top of your game like never before.

Why thank you sir, however Izbo's stupidity ceased to be amusing, but became genuinely offensive.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:53:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

I believe Izbo has brought up many valid arguments that people simply ignore because he sprinkles them with ad homs.

He makes basic points that even you could make.

But just because there's ad homs here and there doesn't mean his argument is non-existent, people just choose to ignore his arguments.

It is also the fact that he is incapable of replying to rebuttals and believes he is some sort of genius.

Inferno on the other hand does nothing but bare assertions, but he creates topics of debate and at least contributes some, however, his argument and persuasive skills are very weak.

True.

Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

My thread was neither of those. I merely expressed that conversing with you was frustrating. Frustration =/= butthurt.

You were frustrated because you were unable to defend your views and so chose to lie about me, so clearly butthurt.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:02:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 5:53:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
My thread was neither of those. I merely expressed that conversing with you was frustrating. Frustration =/= butthurt.

You were frustrated because you were unable to defend your views and so chose to lie about me, so clearly butthurt.

False. I did defend my views and posted links to prove it (see here: http://www.debate.org...) and no i didn't lie about you. I had directly posted a dialogue between us and commented on each part of the dialogue. Is that butthurt? No. Frustration, yes, albeit I admit it was unnecessary to make the thread.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:08:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 5:45:42 AM, 000ike wrote:
So long as we're talking on a matter of approaching issues, don't you find it a little contradictory that you made a thread complaining about anti-troll crusaders who make threads complaining about trolls?

No. But even if that were so, I don't care. I was simply expressing my thoughts on the issue and bringing awareness to the fact that there is too much attention being given to anti-troll crusades and not enough on debate topics. This is one thread from me out of the 300+ posts from you solely about anti-trolling. It is actually very rare for me to even mention trolls, even at a time when there actually is a real troll problem here, and I've been here fore 2 years.

Directly talking to the people you speak of puts more power to your cause than making a thread about it, further glorifying the problem.

Don't care. I don't even have a cause. I'm just commentating.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:28:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

I believe Izbo has brought up many valid arguments that people simply ignore because he sprinkles them with ad homs. But just because there's ad homs here and there doesn't mean his argument is non-existent, people just choose to ignore his arguments. Inferno on the other hand does nothing but bare assertions, but he creates topics of debate and at least contributes some, however, his argument and persuasive skills are very weak.

Just as Izbo chooses to ignore other people's counter arguments. In which case, it is no longer debating, nor a meaningful conversation.


Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

My thread was neither of those. I merely expressed that conversing with you was frustrating. Frustration =/= butthurt.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:31:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 10:28:53 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/17/2011 2:52:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
No Geo, when everything they post is either an ad hominem or a fallacy and they are too stupid to realise they should not be here. But thanks for another Izbo thread. We don't have enough as it is.

I believe Izbo has brought up many valid arguments that people simply ignore because he sprinkles them with ad homs. But just because there's ad homs here and there doesn't mean his argument is non-existent, people just choose to ignore his arguments. Inferno on the other hand does nothing but bare assertions, but he creates topics of debate and at least contributes some, however, his argument and persuasive skills are very weak.

Just as Izbo chooses to ignore other people's counter arguments. In which case, it is no longer debating, nor a meaningful conversation.

Even if Izbo10 makes valid arguments (which is a statement that I disagree with), he fails to consider other opposing arguments and just re-asserts his points. In that case, then why should we respond to his posts as if it is either a debate or a 'meaningful conversation'? He refuses to debate and just goes in a tantrum about our own arguments....so the other way of communication is through derision (though that does not mean other members, including myself, have tried to address his points at time, but were soundly ignored anyway...)


Also this is a bit strange considering your butthurt defamation thread, but hey.

My thread was neither of those. I merely expressed that conversing with you was frustrating. Frustration =/= butthurt.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:40:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 6:08:17 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No. But even if that were so, I don't care. I was simply expressing my thoughts on the issue and bringing awareness to the fact that there is too much attention being given to anti-troll crusades and not enough on debate topics.
Yes, I agree with you on that. Sorry for 'trolling the troll'.

This is one thread from me out of the 300+ posts from you solely about anti-trolling. It is actually very rare for me to even mention trolls, even at a time when there actually is a real troll problem here, and I've been here fore 2 years.
To be honest, your title is correct...the 'anti-troll crusaders' have failed, since that troll has been continuing to put a fight in the forums, debates, comment pages, and even PMs...Izbo10's hubris and perserverance knows no bounds.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:47:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/17/2011 5:38:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:


I believe Izbo has brought up many valid arguments
If you're discussing the 'problem of evil' argument (child rape, and the issue/problem of hell), then yes hist arguments were valid, but poorly presented.

that people simply ignore because he sprinkles them with ad homs.
That, and the fact that he refuses to consider any contrary argument, other than calling it an 'excuse'. For example, when Cosmic asked why child rape was immoral/moral (from a moral nihilistic viewpoint), Izbo10 goes off on a rant about it, calling him 'retard, retard', and showing that he can't have a rational discussion in the forums.

But just because there's ad homs here and there doesn't mean his argument is non-existent, people just choose to ignore his arguments.
He has weak persuasion skills, and as I stated before, is arrogant enough to assert that his claims are obvious. It won't be too fruitful if we address the arguments of a troll, anyway....his temperament is inordinately mercurial.

Inferno on the other hand does nothing but bare assertions, but he creates topics of debate and at least contributes some, however, his argument and persuasive skills are very weak.
A good description of how Inferno is like. While neither of them are reasonable (though I do ask, if Inferno was Interrogator, shouldn't he be Koopin as well?--->>http://www.debate.org...), Inferno is far more of a productive member, and doesn't deserve to be banned. Many of his threads are amusing, unlike Izbo10's, who are just plain frustrating to respond and read.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 5:53:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have tried to reason with izbo on numerous occasions but he falls victim to the very fallacies he accuses others of making. I don't know why I still respond to him but something about him just always cracks me up when I read his responses.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:04:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 10:13:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
All these people like 000ike, man-is-good, and the like have spent their whole existence here on Debate.org talking about trolls rather than talking about debate issues. It's rather ironic because the so-called trolls like Inferno and Izbo10 have contributed more to this sites level of discussion and topic-making than those who seek to ban them.

Sure, neither of them are the brightest, but they make topics of discussion, just in a bit more provocative manner. Part of debate is committing fallacies and ad hominems are just one of the many fallacies that you will see debaters make, intentionally or not. Deal with it. Point out the fallacy or ignore it, but don't cry about it. It's your opponent's error.

Anyways... carry on.:

Interesting take. I never looked at it this way, and after you pointed it out, I kind of see what you're saying. That said, I still wouldn't piss on Inferno or Izbo if they were on fire.

Carry on.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 6:56:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd like to make a public apology for this--being one of the "anti-troll crusaders." I've realized the futility and overall pointlessness of the whole thing. It's just my natural disposition to do things like that.

If you'd be so kind as to forgive me, I' like to rejoin the ACTUAL community, not the circus side-show of trolls and anti-trolls--which I really kind of realize are trolls in and of themselves.

Forgive me?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus