Jump to topic:

Voting Instructions

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 4:24:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when, in a debate, one of the debaters either:

a) Tells us HOW to make our voting decision. (A prime example is this debate: http://www.debate.org...)

b) Tells us who to vote for in each category (I don't mean a simple "Vote Pro," but a "Conduct: Me, because...")

Honestly--I think it's safe to say that most of us know how to vote, and, unless it's a special TYPE of debate, we don't need any help.

Usually I dock Conduct from whoever does this.

Your thoughts?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 4:27:05 PM
At 8/18/2011 4:24:40 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when, in a debate, one of the debaters either:

a) Tells us HOW to make our voting decision. (A prime example is this debate: http://www.debate.org...)

b) Tells us who to vote for in each category (I don't mean a simple "Vote Pro," but a "Conduct: Me, because...")

Honestly--I think it's safe to say that most of us know how to vote, and, unless it's a special TYPE of debate, we don't need any help.

Your thoughts?

I often do too.

Unless there is something special in R1 that both voters agreed to special voting (like some tournies ask that you vote all 7 to the winner), they shouldn't tell you how to vote.

If anything, they could remind at the end of what the agreed speical voting is.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 5:03:43 PM
I don't think it harms anything. Unless there is some special difference he wants us to be aware of, I would disregard that little bit about voting and vote how I see fit.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 5:14:11 PM
At 8/18/2011 5:03:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't think it harms anything. Unless there is some special difference he wants us to be aware of, I would disregard that little bit about voting and vote how I see fit.

There have been cases like that where people then complain "didn't you bother to read the voting guide?!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 5:16:39 PM

Your thoughts?

If they wish to, I see no problem with that. Docking conduct just isn't worth it and unfairly favors one side.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 6:40:56 PM
At 8/18/2011 5:16:39 PM, seraine wrote:

Your thoughts?

If they wish to, I see no problem with that. Docking conduct just isn't worth it and unfairly favors one side.

Not necessarily. If the side that made up the "special instructions" would've won otherwise, then I'd put the conduct as a tie.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:05:34 PM
At 8/18/2011 5:03:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

I agree with 000ike. In this debate for instance, for some strange reason, Con keeps insisting in the comments that Pro should get all the votes.
http://www.debate.org...