Jump to topic:

Posting up, debating flat lined.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 6:19:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, mr. Statman here. I've been tracking DDO's posting and debating numbers ever since the AnCap Exodus. It is interesting seeing how the exodus hurt our posting levels (dropped 30% over 10 days), but then watching as our posting levels worked their way back over the following 3 weeks to the point where we are well above where we were to begin with (currently averaging over 650 posts a day over the last 7 day run).

However, looking at the number of debates we've been doing, it seems that our debating has flat lined, if not slightly dropping. At the time of the exodus, we were averaging about 10 debates a day. That dropped to a bottom of 7 1/2 debates a day at the bottom (the debates hit their bottom 1 day after the posting hit its bottom). However, debates sprang back up to 9 debates a day only 2 days after hitting the bottom.

But since then, they've slowly been trickling down, to where we are now at 8 1/3 debates per day (there was a good bump when Tim Spin started his tourny, but that has filtered out now).

So why is it that we post more, but don't debate more?

Is it from the posts being mostly trolling? Are the posts just mafia coming back and not necessarily more posts in political issues?

Just wondering if anyone has ideas on 1) why we see what we see, and 2) what can we do to make improvements.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 6:27:43 PM
People aren't instigating debates because, though I hate to admit it after debating Truthseeker, being an instigator sucks. I find that I have a lot of debate topics in my head, and why I go to create it, I hesitate and rethink. As a result, I only look for debates to contend, and that slot is usually empty or full of uninteresting topics like who will win Sunday's football game.

Its very difficult to admit, but truthseeker had a point with the instigator-contender advantage.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 6:39:03 PM
At 8/18/2011 6:27:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
People aren't instigating debates because, though I hate to admit it after debating Truthseeker, being an instigator sucks. I find that I have a lot of debate topics in my head, and why I go to create it, I hesitate and rethink. As a result, I only look for debates to contend, and that slot is usually empty or full of uninteresting topics like who will win Sunday's football game.

Its very difficult to admit, but truthseeker had a point with the instigator-contender advantage.

While I still disagree that the "last word" is what causes the advantage, I do believe that there is an advantage. It is nice to be able to look at a resolution, the definitions presented, and think "I know what arguments I can do to win this debate," and then accept, while when you start a debate, the only thing you are thinking is "I hope I didn't forget some definition that will cost me a silly semantics win."

I've never been too good at crafting semantics-immune resolution, so one of the things I've started trying (though only really tried on the last debate I started) was offering a resolution as well as a "heart of the debate," as basically, this is what the debate is suppose to focus on, if a silly semantics arguement is able to defall a resolution because I should have used "should" rather than "ought" those arguments should be ignored (or is it "ought to be ignored"?).

Anyway. I've been trying to start debates myself recently and will continue, but I really only like talking about energy and science, and there isn't too much call for that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 6:39:40 PM
At 8/18/2011 6:36:50 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Schools starting, so a lot of the HS guys here are busy and may not have time to debate right now.

Oh yeah that too, I start school in september. I wont be able to be here often
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 7:18:42 PM
have you not got a baby to be looking after?
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 4:25:23 AM
At 8/18/2011 6:27:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

ditto. and btw. why is that debate tied? I'll accept any challenge that I should have won.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 4:48:59 AM
The Ancap exodus was a large loss of regular posters.
But when they were here they scared off a lot of new members.
Not we are keeping new members at a faster rate.
Thus the posting rate dipped down and then sprung up.
New members are less likely to instigated debates often.
Members we lost are no longer instigating debates.
Combine this with the fact that school has started.

Then again, I have no idea.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Thrasymachus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:50:01 AM
There's also very little voting, which may suggest there is very little appetite to read the debates.

On instigation: I suspect there is 'last word' advantage, no matter how you try and use no-new-argument rules and similar to ensure synchronicity: if you were winning before hand you probably won't lose on the contenders last round, but it might tip the balance in a very close fight.

The simplest reason for disproportionate contender wins is probably a selection effect: if you care about winning, you are only going to take up challenges you think you can as a contender. When instigating you generally throw out 'all comers' challenges, and the only people who are likely to accept are those who think they can beat you. Assuming people's self evaluation is better than chance, contender's evaluation is more likely right than wrong, and so they win more often than not. Canny instigators should only be advancing topics where they are confident they know as much as anyone else on the site.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:26:07 AM
At 8/19/2011 4:48:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
The Ancap exodus was a large loss of regular posters.
But when they were here they scared off a lot of new members.
Not we are keeping new members at a faster rate.
Thus the posting rate dipped down and then sprung up.
New members are less likely to instigated debates often.
Members we lost are no longer instigating debates.
Combine this with the fact that school has started.

Then again, I have no idea.

This.
I hardly ever posted when the ancaps were here.
Just starting posting when they left, even though I was here for five months.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest