Jump to topic:

How to become a better debater?

kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:46:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
And write out some arguments for myself?

Any tips
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:49:27 PM
At 8/19/2011 7:46:59 PM, kohai wrote:

Any tips

heroin...? it opens your eyes?
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 7:53:08 PM
At 8/19/2011 7:49:27 PM, el-badgero wrote:

Any tips

heroin...? it opens your eyes?

or more seriously, i dunno... i must properly get myself into debating yet. soon! possibly...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:31:40 PM

Any tips

Obviously it's easy not to copy arguments - just don't copy them! At the very least, paraphrase. Now, the main problem for you is likely that you believe your quality of arguments will decline if you do not copy. In this instance you must make a judgement - do you believe arguments of others, even if better worded and such, are better (in a holistic sense) than your own arguments?

I understand your problem, it's often difficult to convey a message (I find this in my debates a lot) . Probably the best trick is to simply try and understand the arguments you are using better. If rewriting them in your own words is tough, it probably means you don't quite grasp your own arguments.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:37:41 PM
At 8/19/2011 8:31:40 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

Any tips

Obviously it's easy not to copy arguments - just don't copy them! At the very least, paraphrase. Now, the main problem for you is likely that you believe your quality of arguments will decline if you do not copy. In this instance you must make a judgement - do you believe arguments of others, even if better worded and such, are better (in a holistic sense) than your own arguments?

I understand your problem, it's often difficult to convey a message (I find this in my debates a lot) . Probably the best trick is to simply try and understand the arguments you are using better. If rewriting them in your own words is tough, it probably means you don't quite grasp your own arguments.

I copy the syllogisms as they're usually much better worded
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:49:52 PM

Any tips

You become a better way the same way you become a better anything.

Debate. Do crappy at first but keep debating. If anything, you'll learn from how your opponents beat you.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:50:32 PM
hard work, patience, reading, and a love of debating. This applies to virtually anything you want to learn and improve on. There are no shorty cuts. Except of course if you start when you're under 6 years old. Anything you start when you're that young you become a pro easily.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 8:51:10 PM
At 8/19/2011 8:50:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
hard work, patience, reading, and a love of debating. This applies to virtually anything you want to learn and improve on. There are no shorty cuts. Except of course if you start when you're under 6 years old. Anything you start when you're that young you become a pro easily.

short* (stupid typo)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 10:52:28 PM
Go to the leader board and find the top debaters. Then look for debates by these people on serious subjects with no forfeits. Read a bunch of those and you'll see mot of the standard debate techniques.

Always try to out-research your opponent. Think of alternate words and phrases to use to google for evidence. Find a few quotes that well-summarize the best arguments and include them in your case.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:04:27 PM
Also familarization of yourself with logic is a good start.

Apparently reading a lot is also good. Economics, philosophy, and psychology/sociology are probably the big 3 for debating purposes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Hello-Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 9:18:33 AM
Commit your debate style to rigorous routines of Claim, Warrant, and Impact.
Example:

Claim (What is the argument?)
+ Pudding tastes good.

Warrant (Why should we consider this argument?)
Logical-
+ Pudding comes in many different flavors, including but not limited to Chocolate, Vanilla, and strawberry. All of which are enjoyable to the taste buds thus we can only assume that pudding does indeed taste good.

Empirical-
+ According to a 1993 study from I'mMakingThisUp University, 99 percent of the human population thinks pudding tastes good. The other 1 percent where either unable to taste or dead.

Emotional-
+ Pudding is made my tiny orphans who apart from the sale of their product are unable to buy the necessary medicine that would cure their pneumonia. What kind of sick, communist, bigot could possibly think such a wonderful product where anything but delicious.

Impact (What does this mean for me)
Logical-
+ Because of the blatant logic supporting this argument, we must affirm that pudding does in fact taste good.

Empirical-
+ Accordingly because 100 percent of eligible tasters have affirmed that pudding tastes good, there is no vote than for the affirmative

Emotional-
+ Thus we see that any rational human being with a shred of decency would say pudding tastes good.

It's also important to note that emotional arguments are utter trash to any serious debate. And that a good debaters relies solely on Logic and Evidence, both must be used together. Without the logic you have no persuasion, and without the evidence you have no support.
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 10:49:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips