Jump to topic:

The Doomed Debate

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:00:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is part-discussion, but primarily an asking for advice.

So, just a matter of a week or so ago, I entered a debate with the distinguished Contradiction (http://www.debate.org...).

However, my bad-timing skills forgot that my intensive college-prep HS started literally a day or so after I posted my acceptance. Due to poor timing (my most crucial argument, my rebuttals to his opener and defense against his refutations, had to be put together in a matter of less than a hour), I feel as though he has me cornered. Perhaps I'll find some way of rebutting and concluding effectively, but, to be frank, I feel like my goose is cooked.

But I don't want to concede--the only time I would EVER concede would be if my mind was changed by my opponent on the subject--and it hasn't. I just think I didn't debate well enough.

So, 2 questions: First, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, any advice for my situation? If you could, maybe a skim of the debate would help. And second, have you ever had a situation like this? The "doomed" debate?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:05:01 PM
If you think your pretty much already defeated or that your so far behind now that you have no hope in hell of winning then why not concede defeat ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:06:41 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:05:01 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
If you think your pretty much already defeated or that your so far behind now that you have no hope in hell of winning then why not concede defeat ?

I see what you're saying. I suppose the real dilemma is what saves more face/is more gracious: going down with the ship, and arguing to the death (figuratively), or conceding?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:15:03 PM
At 8/19/2011 9:09:44 PM, Contradiction wrote:
Whatever you decide, I'd be happy to have a rematch in the future if you didn't feel like you did your best. :-)

Lol, thanks for commenting good sir. I believe I shall concede on the grounds of poor arguing on my part. I hope that does not tarnish my stance at all with you. I'm sure it won't, but with my experience with debate, I'm always used to only conceding when I've been convinced.

I guess I gotta face facts, man up, and say I was inadequate in this debate.

freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 9:18:07 PM
My first debate ever on this site was 3 years ago against the original askbob. I created a debate over the car company bailouts. My opening argument was a jumbled but passionate disapproval of this action by the US government. Askbob posted his argument in the next round, and I realized that I could not adequately refute any of his contentions. I lost a 3 round debate in one round.

I like to think I am a much better debater now, and that I wouldn't make the same errors. However, I feel that the progress I made through failures like this has helped me immensely in understanding my own political views.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes