Jump to topic:

Create a debate yet be a contender

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 4:19:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some people are saying that they are very reluctant to create a debate because as the creator you are instigator and therefore must go first and thus are at an overall dis-advantage cause the contender always gets the last word.

My solution, allow some one to create a debate yet they can be the contender. So when some one accepts the debate they get the first opening round as if they were the instigator.

If this was an option maybe the creator of the debate would have some option where they list the resolution, definitions and what the debate is about, but still the person who accepts the debate will go first in arguments.

Some one might complain and say, but what if they don't like the resolution, definitions or how the debate is framed, well just like any other debate then don't accept it.

So yay or nay ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 5:48:41 AM
Personally, I think it's more fun to create a debate than to respond to someone else's argument.

And you are not at any disadvantage because you get to choose the topic.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
lddebater540
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 3:19:33 PM
I think that people are less likely to create a debate than to accept one for three reasons. First, they are afraid that their debate might not be accepted. Second, they are probably lazy, so they do not feel that there is a need to create a debate if they can just accept one that another person has already crafted. Finally, it is difficult to actually create solid debate resolutions, so people may be less likely to create debates due to the relative ease of accepting one.

If all of the aforementioned reasons are true, then the proposed change will have no impact on the website.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:07:01 PM
I created a debate, but I wanted to be the contender, so we had to cancel the debate. We saw no way to make it work.

I like the suggestion of letting the challenger be the contender.