Jump to topic:

Ld

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 3:33:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I noticed that in debates people use the word LD a lot. Sometimes they say, we will have an LD style debate. What does LD mean? I looked it up and somehow "learning disabled" doesn't fit in with the context.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 4:28:03 PM
At 8/21/2011 3:33:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I noticed that in debates people use the word LD a lot. Sometimes they say, we will have an LD style debate. What does LD mean? I looked it up and somehow "learning disabled" doesn't fit in with the context.

Lincoln-Douglas

http://en.wikipedia.org...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:00:50 PM
Lincoln-Douglass is a value-oriented philosophical debating style. Like most debates, there is a resolution, but the debaters must uphold it or negate it in order to achieve a desirable value. L-D has cross-examination.

For more information, ask Wikipedia.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:20:19 PM
I think the whole idea behind LD is that debate should never be encumbered by facts. One thinks up a value, which can be anything, and then argues that the value supports the resolution. It encourages the ideas that pure baloney, so long as it is consistent, wins. It's for budding lawyers adverse to looking anything up.

Other than that it's fine.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:23:20 PM
At 8/24/2011 12:20:19 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think the whole idea behind LD is that debate should never be encumbered by facts. One thinks up a value, which can be anything, and then argues that the value supports the resolution. It encourages the ideas that pure baloney, so long as it is consistent, wins. It's for budding lawyers adverse to looking anything up.

Other than that it's fine.

But lawyers have to look up fact a lot. Young lawyers spend almost all their time analyzing fact and if they don't have factual basis to back up their claim , they will lose their case or have it thrown out of court.