Jump to topic:

Why I Came to Debate.org

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:27:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Eighth grade debate class: Teacher says "use the computers to research the topic "The US should withdraw all troops from Afghanistan." I search the topic on google and find various wikipedia pages, and articles but nothing that actually helps me, then I see this debate with RoyLatham vs Midnightrambler. http://www.debate.org... This not only was the basis for my argument but was almost irrefutable by the opposing team. (I was Con).

Many times during my debate tournaments I would be listening to an opposing team making their argument and would hear "According to debate.org, blahblahblah".

At first I used debates here for sources and arguments, but then realized it would actually help if I took on debating the elites myself. My first half debates were topics in our debate tournaments and were very valuable. (Not for nothing, my team placed second in two tournaments, going 4 wins 0 Losses).

To debate students in the class I took, I tell them to search on here for the topic they are debating and use the arguments as models for their work, and in fact quite a few have made accounts on here.

High school and middle school debaters view this site all the time looking for arguments they can take, or a source they can cite. Debate.org's greatest resource, in my opinion, is not the forums, or the games, but the plethora of quality debates that exist on the site, as an archive to those who need information on opposing sides of a point.

Keep it up guys!
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:29:09 PM
I appreciate your optimism for DDO, but I do ask why did you feel that this thread was necessary to be created?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:30:33 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:27:10 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Eighth grade debate class: Teacher says "use the computers to research the topic "The US should withdraw all troops from Afghanistan." I search the topic on google and find various wikipedia pages, and articles but nothing that actually helps me, then I see this debate with RoyLatham vs Midnightrambler. http://www.debate.org... This not only was the basis for my argument but was almost irrefutable by the opposing team. (I was Con).

Many times during my debate tournaments I would be listening to an opposing team making their argument and would hear "According to debate.org, blahblahblah".

At first I used debates here for sources and arguments, but then realized it would actually help if I took on debating the elites myself. My first half debates were topics in our debate tournaments and were very valuable. (Not for nothing, my team placed second in two tournaments, going 4 wins 0 Losses).

To debate students in the class I took, I tell them to search on here for the topic they are debating and use the arguments as models for their work, and in fact quite a few have made accounts on here.

High school and middle school debaters view this site all the time looking for arguments they can take, or a source they can cite. Debate.org's greatest resource, in my opinion, is not the forums, or the games, but the plethora of quality debates that exist on the site, as an archive to those who need information on opposing sides of a point.

Keep it up guys!

I'm sorry, are you telling me that high school debate teams cite anonymous arguments from a website while in a debate?

Wanna research? Fine. Just...there's something so disturbing about citing a forum.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:31:13 PM
Why I came to debate.org org.........to debate. Go fig eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:36:16 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:30:33 PM, Wnope wrote:

Keep it up guys!

I'm sorry, are you telling me that high school debate teams cite anonymous arguments from a website while in a debate?

Wanna research? Fine. Just...there's something so disturbing about citing a forum.

They would cite the sources cited by the debater.

Only the stupid ones would say "According to Koopin on debate dot org, KFC!"
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:43:34 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:36:16 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/23/2011 8:30:33 PM, Wnope wrote:

Keep it up guys!

They would cite the sources cited by the debater.

Only the stupid ones would say "According to Koopin on debate dot org, KFC!"

Ok, as long as they use DDO to find arguments and primary sources.

I once saw an only high school essay that cited a political article from a college magazine I wrote for. It's disturbing.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:48:37 PM
I know what you mean. This website has given me more knowledge of both the pros and cons of many issues. I wish I knew this website during the school year, wait, I did, I just didn't join b/c I thought the contract you agree to to join was very serious and you'd get sued if you broke it lol. My teacher always said I had the vocabulary to make my point, but I fell short on support. I see this website helping me tremendously in the coming school year not only on English essays, but in chemistry and History class as well. I am very thankful for the existence of DDO.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:48:53 PM
I found this site in a similar way. I was looking for another side to a topic I was reading about and a debate about it on ddo came up.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:51:45 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:48:53 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
I found this site in a similar way. I was looking for another side to a topic I was reading about and a debate about it on ddo came up.

I found DDO by googling if a website for debating existed. lol. Same way i found ratemydrawings.com and chess.com.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:53:42 PM
I found DDO while researching nuclear weapons. I landed on this debate:
http://www.debate.org...

I was fascinated by how people kept referring to each other in the third person and how they were very professional when they argued. So, I joined the site after reading a lot of debates.
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 9:00:15 PM
J.kenyon and Danielles debate on communism was the first one I read. That got me hooked.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 11:15:37 PM
There wasn't any one thing that brought me here. It was probably a combination of the site always popping up when researching a topic, the variety of resolutions argued here, and how good some of the members were.

I also wanted to practice debating LD topics here before tournaments. But I actually really wish I found this site a lot sooner. In LD I suppose I was good, not great. But after learning all I have here, I feel like I could steamroll the competition. Sadly, I graduated last year :(
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 11:40:14 PM
At 8/23/2011 11:15:37 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
There wasn't any one thing that brought me here. It was probably a combination of the site always popping up when researching a topic, the variety of resolutions argued here, and how good some of the members were.

I also wanted to practice debating LD topics here before tournaments. But I actually really wish I found this site a lot sooner. In LD I suppose I was good, not great. But after learning all I have here, I feel like I could steamroll the competition. Sadly, I graduated last year :(

Too bad you can't do an actual cross examination in the debates here. The structure makes it difficult. There should be some sort of back and forth question answer feature which is added to the debate, so that each question requires an answer within 5 minutes or something like that. Then it will be more like LD.

So, your college doesn't have a debate club?
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 11:58:35 PM
In Speech and Debate our Public Forum Resolution is: The benefits of post 9/11 security measures outweigh the harms to personal freedom" and I frequently tell my fellow team members to come here to look up specific debates here.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 11:59:23 PM
At 8/23/2011 11:40:14 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/23/2011 11:15:37 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Too bad you can't do an actual cross examination in the debates here. The structure makes it difficult. There should be some sort of back and forth question answer feature which is added to the debate, so that each question requires an answer within 5 minutes or something like that. Then it will be more like LD.

So, your college doesn't have a debate club?

I'm not sure if I'm going to join it. I have a part-time job plus college, so Idk if I can put as much time into it as I need to.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:02:08 AM
And about cross-ex, I don't think it can really work on a website at all. You said we could have a 5 minute limit on answers, but in an actual debate you don't even get 5 seconds.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:51:35 AM
I started at forandagainst.com (initially looking for debate), and that proved to be for kindergarteners, then got hooked with YickYak for a long while, and they got ridiculous, and started looking at debate.org, but apparently joined in the midst of some crazy drama with askbob, C_N, and insertnamehere, and didn't think it was the best place to hang out, and went back to YickYak, then they got really stupid and one sided in mentality. The debates were weak and poorly structured (although they had audio debates which were kind of cool), so i came back to checking out
DDO, with a couple people encouraging me, and eventually it stuck. My first forum convo was with Kinesis, and it was pretty miserable. I stayed with it, and my mindset then is nothing like it is now regarding the site. In all cases i just googled debate sites and tried a bunch of different sites.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:22:35 AM
As freedomaniac,

Here is my first post:

And my first thread:
trololololololol

My first post as FREEDO:
LOL, look what askbob(frodobaggins) had to say about me back then. I wonder why he changed his tune.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:40:55 AM
At 8/24/2011 4:22:35 AM, FREEDO wrote:
As freedomaniac,

Here is my first post:

And my first thread:
trololololololol

My first post as FREEDO:
LOL, look what askbob(frodobaggins) had to say about me back then. I wonder why he changed his tune.

This is a funny thread:

Oooh, memories...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:11:07 AM
At 8/23/2011 9:00:15 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
J.kenyon and Danielles debate on communism was the first one I read. That got me hooked.

Yeah, and I still think I inarguably won that debate... it's just that nobody on DDO will ever be able to win a debate with the word communism in the resolution, unless they are against it. I just re-read my very last round and was reminded of how annoying it is that I "lost" lol. J.Kenyon NEVER justified capitalism as more humanitarian (maybe only more productive) ... but I digress. Like I said, I knew I would automatically lose from the start given my position :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:12:22 AM
Also it was debate.COM when I first came here over 3 years ago, and I saw a link for it on Facebook advertising a website for people who like to argue, which I do :P I'm pretty sure "debate" must have been listed under my interests.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:33:33 AM
Tired of doing BS debates online where its just a pissing contest w/ ad hominem attacks left and right. The "winner" of a debate is decided by how many people adhere to a certain ideology.

Then I went to DDO, and found out that you could actually find you can be judged by how factually accurate you are, people are respectful, and there are very little ad hominum attacks.
Open borders debate:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 10:39:00 AM
I was simply looking into a topic that momentarily caught my interest (can't even remember what it was) that lead me to a DDO debate, and when I opened the page, I was shocked to see a picture of someone I know, that I went to school with. So I read through several debates, and signed up.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 10:46:11 AM
At 8/24/2011 4:40:55 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:22:35 AM, FREEDO wrote:
As freedomaniac,

Here is my first post:

And my first thread:
trololololololol

My first post as FREEDO:

This is a funny thread:

Oooh, memories...

Ahh the days of cjl: "I find nothing offensive about big giant penises."
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 11:11:46 AM
I don't really remember how I even came to Debate.org except it might have been due to an assignment by my biology teacher to explore the ethical concerns of bio-medical field (stem cell research, for example)...I might have stumbled among one of the debates about pro-life or about the value of life and then got interested in joining in.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 11:46:47 AM
At 8/24/2011 9:11:07 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/23/2011 9:00:15 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:

Yeah, and I still think I inarguably won that debate... it's just that nobody on DDO will ever be able to win a debate with the word communism in the resolution, unless they are against it. I just re-read my very last round and was reminded of how annoying it is that I "lost" lol. J.Kenyon NEVER justified capitalism as more humanitarian (maybe only more productive) ... but I digress. Like I said, I knew I would automatically lose from the start given my position :)

Regardless of the winner, I learned a lot.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 12:06:49 PM
I debated on the school team in college and enjoyed it. That was way before the internet, in the time of Vietnam, riots, and assassinations.

I tried a bunch of forums on the web, but it was frustrating: no use of sources. no care for facts, endless evasion, and always a bunch of ranting. I found debate.org with a web search. Debate not only forces my opponents to do their homework, it forces me to do my homework. It's the best way to explore something beyond a superficial level.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 1:17:56 AM
I came across DDO while researching 9/11. I had been researching the subject for a few weeks after finding out that so many could believe this nonsense. After bickering with 9/11 truthers on youtube, I developed a desire to have a full intelligent discussion on the subject that I could not find anywhere. One day I was googling WTC7 and came across this debate:

I was very impressed by the way Roy tore his opponent to shreds and wanted to be able to do that. At the time I was only interested in debating a few topics but after learning more about debating I realized how entertaining, fulfilling, and productive it can be.