Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

History Forum Category

Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:42:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is Juggle going to make one? Where do we stand on the petition?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 2:43:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 2:42:45 PM, Tiel wrote:
Is Juggle going to make one? Where do we stand on the petition?

lol.

Didn't we have one for awhile?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:05:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Maybe a 'humanities forum' might be better - thus including history, anthropology, philology and geography, which are all loosely related.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:19:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:05:01 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Maybe a 'humanities forum' might be better - thus including history, anthropology, philology and geography, which are all loosely related.

Yeah, I do agree...you might also want to add art there as well as a part of the forum, though I think some members would object to the wide span of topics in the forum.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:33:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?

You can do either, but as i remember there were a few people who were actually against it. If there is a lot of activity, and we see say 15 or more in favor then it has serious merit in consideration. YOu could also debate it, and see who gets the most votes.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:35:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?

You can do either, but as i remember there were a few people who were actually against it.
Yes. A petition was created to counter the one aforementioned.
If there is a lot of activity, and we see say 15 or more in favor then it has serious merit in consideration. YOu could also debate it, and see who gets the most votes.
I might...consider debating it, if I have thought out what exactly the advantages of a history forum would be.

Or maybe, we can make the History forum a forum for 'Social science' to allow more ground.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:48:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:35:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?

You can do either, but as i remember there were a few people who were actually against it.
Yes. A petition was created to counter the one aforementioned.
If there is a lot of activity, and we see say 15 or more in favor then it has serious merit in consideration. YOu could also debate it, and see who gets the most votes.
I might...consider debating it, if I have thought out what exactly the advantages of a history forum would be.

Or maybe, we can make the History forum a forum for 'Social science' to allow more ground.

Does history really fall under social science? Social science is usually sociology, political science, some psychology i guess.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:51:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:48:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:35:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?

You can do either, but as i remember there were a few people who were actually against it.
Yes. A petition was created to counter the one aforementioned.
If there is a lot of activity, and we see say 15 or more in favor then it has serious merit in consideration. YOu could also debate it, and see who gets the most votes.
I might...consider debating it, if I have thought out what exactly the advantages of a history forum would be.

Or maybe, we can make the History forum a forum for 'Social science' to allow more ground.

Does history really fall under social science? Social science is usually sociology, political science, some psychology i guess.

From http://en.wikipedia.org...,
"These include: anthropology, archaeology, business administration, communication, criminology, economics, education, government, linguistics, international relations, political science, sociology and, in some contexts, geography, history, law, and psychology."

So, in a way, yes.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 3:51:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 3:51:06 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:48:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:35:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:33:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:25:03 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/25/2011 3:22:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I think this is doable if we pushed Science and Technology together and create History. I don't like the idea of having a huge number of categories much of which will never be touched.
Yeah, that would defeat the purpose of petitioning for the history forum category.

We could also just make Politics,. History and Politics.
I would prefer them to be separate, since I consider the fields of history and politics to be distinct, though they may be entwined.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless we had a sizable number of people in favor of it.
There was a petition for the history forum, but no one else agreed to creating the history forum after a few posts. Should we create a new thread detailing the petition, or should we just revive the old one?

You can do either, but as i remember there were a few people who were actually against it.
Yes. A petition was created to counter the one aforementioned.
If there is a lot of activity, and we see say 15 or more in favor then it has serious merit in consideration. YOu could also debate it, and see who gets the most votes.
I might...consider debating it, if I have thought out what exactly the advantages of a history forum would be.

Or maybe, we can make the History forum a forum for 'Social science' to allow more ground.

Does history really fall under social science? Social science is usually sociology, political science, some psychology i guess.

From http://en.wikipedia.org...,
"These include: anthropology, archaeology, business administration, communication, criminology, economics, education, government, linguistics, international relations, political science, sociology and, in some contexts, geography, history, law, and psychology."

So, in a way, yes.

Actually, it doesn't really, but in context, could be a topic that can be listed under 'social science'.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 5:43:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
History should be separate as it applies to the past specifically. I would advocate 2 new categories. History and Humanities. News can go, as any topic of news can be thrown into he other forum categories. Miscellaneous can go. Why is it even there? Both categories are pretty much useless.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:20:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 5:43:07 PM, Tiel wrote:
History should be separate as it applies to the past specifically. I would advocate 2 new categories. History and Humanities. News can go, as any topic of news can be thrown into he other forum categories. Miscellaneous can go. Why is it even there? Both categories are pretty much useless.

There shouldn't be any 'history' category.

there shouldn't be any Mechanical category..

there shouldn't be any Woodworking category..

there shouldn't be any Electronics category..

there shouldn't be any Future category..

just shut it.. put it in Politics.. or put it in Society
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:21:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 8:20:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
just shut it.. put it in Politics.. or put it in Society

and if it doesn't fit in those I'm sure Science or Art will do just fine.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 9:12:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 8:20:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/25/2011 5:43:07 PM, Tiel wrote:
History should be separate as it applies to the past specifically. I would advocate 2 new categories. History and Humanities. News can go, as any topic of news can be thrown into he other forum categories. Miscellaneous can go. Why is it even there? Both categories are pretty much useless.

There shouldn't be any 'history' category.

there shouldn't be any Mechanical category..

there shouldn't be any Woodworking category..

there shouldn't be any Electronics category..

there shouldn't be any Future category..

just shut it.. put it in Politics.. or put it in Society

Your post is kind of juvenile and rude.

Mechanical, woodworking, and electronics are already represented in technology and/or art depending on what you are talking about.

History is relevant as a category and I have always been surprised that it was not originally designed into the forums. Talking about your thoughts on past wars, past civilizations, past leaders, past cultures, etc.

It wouldn't seem accurate to start a thread on the ancient Egyptian civilization in politics or society., as it would encompass many things from all the categories. To break it down and start a single thread in every category on specific points about ancient Egypt is an option, though that's not the topic. The topic is ancient Egypt as a civilization, not the specifics broken down into separate categories.

Either way, I would support the creation of a history forum. And I do agree that miscellaneous could go, though I think News is a good category and should be kept.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 9:53:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I agree with Innomen that we should not raise the amount of categories past what it is now - it gets difficult to check them all and some start collecting dust. I do believe a little smarter organization could help us though.

Our current layout:

1) DDO
2) Arts
3) Economics
4) edumucation
5) entertainment
6) games
7) health
8) Misc
9) news
10) personal
11) philosophy
12) politics
13) religion
14) science
15) society
16) sports
17) technology

17 is kind of high, IMO. I would suggest setting up the categories more like a university would.

1) DDO
2) Humanities (art, music, philosophy, religion)
3) Natural Science (physics, technology, biology/health/medicine)
4) Social Science (sociology, psychology, history, economics)
5) Politics (although technically a social science, the popularity of the forum and the argumentative nature of our site would seem to favor leaving it separate from the other social sciences)
6) Fun and games
7) Current events/news
8) Education
9) Sports
10) Personal
11) Miscellaneous (everything else)

I think this setup would be better for several reasons:
1) Many of us still don't even "get" exactly where certain sub-disciplines really lie. Putting history as a social science, health as a natural science, and philosophy in the humanities helps keep the community educated and appropriately organized.

2) Some of our forums collect dust and by reforming unpopular categories back into their overall disciplines I think we can stimulate more interaction.

3) Less forums categories means less clicks to check all the new posts. I wouldn't suggest this if we were posting so often in each category that we were having to check the next page to see everything current, but as it is now, by the time a topic gets bumped, it's already been dead for weeks.
Rob
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 11:24:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
History of what?

Probably of something in one of the other categories.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:44:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 11:24:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
History of what?

Probably of something in one of the other categories.

History of civilizations, leaders, wars, etc.

Its relevant as a category because it encompasses certain criteria. You could put alternative energy as a topic in science, news, politics, society, etc. But it does not necessarily diminish the quality of having all those category options in place. I think if History became a category, it would be very active.

Where would you place the topic "The Ancient Mayan Civilization"? I'm curious.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:46:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:44:30 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Where would you place the topic "The Ancient Mayan Civilization"? I'm curious.

I think it would fit well in society. It's a society, just a historical one.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:51:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 11:24:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
History of what?

Probably of something in one of the other categories.
What if it is history involving many categories?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 3:54:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like to keep religion in its own section, since that helps me stay out of it, and not have to worry about it being mixed with the rest.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:40:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 3:46:27 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:44:30 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Where would you place the topic "The Ancient Mayan Civilization"? I'm curious.

I think it would fit well in society. It's a society, just a historical one.

Yes, but everything you would discuss about would include it's stories, art, leaders, architecture, religion, economy, society, etc. Society is only one slice of the topic as a whole. It would fit perfectly in the history category. Almost all ancient wars would fit better in a history category than in politics. If you opened up politics and seen "The Trojan Horse" as a topic, would you think it accurately placed?

I think a history category would have many topics accurately placed there.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:44:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Science and Technology should be merged

Art and Entertainment should be merged

Hell, technically we could merge philosophy and religion, but I don't think anyone would really want that deep down.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:44:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 9:53:33 PM, Lasagna wrote:
1) DDO
2) Humanities (art, music, philosophy, religion)
3) Natural Science (physics, technology, biology/health/medicine)
4) Social Science (sociology, psychology, history, economics)
5) Politics (although technically a social science, the popularity of the forum and the argumentative nature of our site would seem to favor leaving it separate from the other social sciences)
6) Fun and games
7) Current events/news
8) Education
9) Sports
10) Personal
11) Miscellaneous (everything else)

I think this setup would be better for several reasons:
1) Many of us still don't even "get" exactly where certain sub-disciplines really lie. Putting history as a social science, health as a natural science, and philosophy in the humanities helps keep the community educated and appropriately organized.

2) Some of our forums collect dust and by reforming unpopular categories back into their overall disciplines I think we can stimulate more interaction.

3) Less forums categories means less clicks to check all the new posts. I wouldn't suggest this if we were posting so often in each category that we were having to check the next page to see everything current, but as it is now, by the time a topic gets bumped, it's already been dead for weeks.

I actually agree with this plan, since it does reduce the number of forums and allows members to interact more in the topics.

Your categorization might not be perfect, but I do agree with it mostly...However, if you're includign natural science, would it be more sensible to include the other two types of sciences as well, including physical science?

Do you think we should divide the science category into 'social sciences', 'natural'/biological sciences, and physical sciences?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:46:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Games should be seperated from Misc. It was originally in Misc, but because such a large part of the social aspect of the forums is the mafia games, it needed its own section for organizational purposes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:48:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:46:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Games should be seperated from Misc. It was originally in Misc, but because such a large part of the social aspect of the forums is the mafia games, it needed its own section for organizational purposes.

Again, I agree...if anyone analyzes the game forum carefully, they note how many threads have been created: the Mods list for the games, the sign ups for the games, and individual threads pertaining to the threads (as in mafia games, where each thread is usually a day phrase thread, and so on).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:49:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:44:24 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Science and Technology should be merged

Art and Entertainment should be merged

Hell, technically we could merge philosophy and religion, but I don't think anyone would really want that deep down.

That's the way it used to be, and most were very happy to have philosophy and religion separated.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:50:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:44:48 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
6) Fun and games
This is one area where I will contest...I do believe that the games forum and the entertainment forum should be separated...

After all, the games forum already has threads devoted to sign ups, parts of the game, and the mod list...and the entertainment thread several threads about a variety of subjects. They may seem correlated, but combining the two would inflate the entire forum in terms of numbers of posts and topics.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:55:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:40:09 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:46:27 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 3:44:30 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Where would you place the topic "The Ancient Mayan Civilization"? I'm curious.

I think it would fit well in society. It's a society, just a historical one.

Yes, but everything you would discuss about would include it's stories, art, leaders, architecture, religion, economy, society, etc. Society is only one slice of the topic as a whole. It would fit perfectly in the history category. Almost all ancient wars would fit better in a history category than in politics. If you opened up politics and seen "The Trojan Horse" as a topic, would you think it accurately placed?

It wouldn't work in politics, but I don't support the current system any more than I support the creation of a history forum. I think Lasagna' system wold work best. Ancient Mayan Civilization would fit well in the Social Science category.

I think a history category would have many topics accurately placed there.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:55:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Perhaps it can be like this:

1. Science (Physical, biological) and Technology
2. Humanities (religion, philosophy, art, music)
3. Games and Entertainment
4. Social Science (history, psychology, archaeology, and society)
5. Politics (as Lasagna stated, this is a very popular forum where members can discuss political events, ideologies, &ct.)
6. DDO
7. Current events/News
8. Sports
9. Miscellaneous

I have just combined Cosmic's and Lasagna's ideas. What do you think?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau