Jump to topic:

Stupid, pointless, and vain debates

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:35:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just don't understand why people instigate debates saying "Pro/Con/I should have won this debate."

When the instigator is arguing for his own debate, it becomes even worse as he/she is vainly trying to say that they should have won and can't accept a defeat when they lose.

I don't see why people continue going after lost causes, and instead of learning from the experience and either moving on or instigating new debates with the same resolution, they start debates saying that they should have won.

Here are a few examples:
http://www.debate.org...

It could possibly be argued that they are just trying to analyze why they lost.
So, sour grapes or intelligent analysis, what are your thoughts?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:31:04 PM
It certainly is ridiculous and pretty harmful to the site's quality. Instead of trying to learn from the experience (i.e. on the flaws in one's tactics, presentation, or arguments--or even research) or adapt to it, these members go about, posting debates about how they should have won the previous debate. For me, it's annoying since--

1. No new argument is really presented, other than redundant ones (i.e. judgements and assessments).
2. Sources are now unnecessary, except for the original debate and quite possibly a limited range of sources needed to back up pre-existing arguments.
3. It is inherently unproductive...to argue about how you should have won. Debates are on subjects--history, science, theology, and so on--and are often instigated to at least explore fields.

You were right in calling them 'vain' debates since it illustrates the instigator's arrogant belief that he was supposed to win that last debate and be willing to bring the site to its knees even further just to voice that belief.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 1:18:41 AM
I was about to argue for these "stupid, pointless, and vain debates" but I realized that it would be stupid, pointless and vain for me to do so.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 4:41:48 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:41:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Here are a couple more:

I accepted his first "Pro should have won this debate" challenge with the idea that I could help him figure out what he did wrong and improve. Then I saw his second challenge (in this link) and I realized he is challenging someone to the same exact debate after reading my arguments for why he lost.

So yes, pointless.
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 6:13:07 AM
At 8/26/2011 10:35:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I don't see why people continue going after lost causes, and instead of learning from the experience and either moving on or instigating new debates

Perhaps this is a good way of learning from the experience.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:10:57 AM
At 8/28/2011 6:13:07 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

I don't see why people continue going after lost causes, and instead of learning from the experience and either moving on or instigating new debates

or perhaps its just an outlet for the complaints of an individual who is sore that he lost, and hasn't actually learned a thing.....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:31:37 AM
At 8/28/2011 7:10:57 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2011 6:13:07 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

or perhaps its just an outlet for the complaints of an individual who is sore that he lost, and hasn't actually learned a thing.....

Perhaps.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
CD-Host
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 8:58:38 AM
I just don't understand why people instigate debates saying "Pro/Con/I should have won this debate."

I actually think it is a good idea. We don't have many judges and judges in general don't have to defend their calls. A "I should have won debate" provides a structure of discussion about what the standards for good judging should be. From those sorts of debates a FAQ about judging could emerge. Which could pull up the quality.

Further on the learning issue, many times there is not enough for a person to learn. A judge might leave a sentence behind about a structural problem while a debater will write many paragraphs.
justice007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 9:07:58 AM
At 8/28/2011 8:58:38 AM, CD-Host wrote:

I actually think it is a good idea. We don't have many judges and judges in general don't have to defend their calls. A "I should have won debate" provides a structure of discussion about what the standards for good judging should be. From those sorts of debates a FAQ about judging could emerge. Which could pull up the quality.

Further on the learning issue, many times there is not enough for a person to learn. A judge might leave a sentence behind about a structural problem while a debater will write many paragraphs.

Great post. I agree 100%.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 3:05:10 PM

Nicely put. This post makes me want to start one of my own. I do have one debate loss I am still bitter about... hmmm
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 3:11:41 PM
At 8/28/2011 3:05:10 PM, Double_R wrote:

Nicely put. This post makes me want to start one of my own. I do have one debate loss I am still bitter about... hmmm

I dont know. We've all lost debates we've felt we won. The big problem with starting that kind of debate is that the viewers/voters are instantly biased against you. Obviously, starting a debate with the title "I should have won this debate" doesn't put you in the best light.